Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
Man down.....helmet and boots probably made a huge difference.

Wasnt going fast, just turned off main road to sidestreet and some loose gravel got me. Front end washed out. Initially right foot was under the bike then flopped over onto my right side, impacting my shoulder and helmet. Smacked and slide on the right jaw of my full face. Rubbed a good size hole in my boot.

I will be sore tomorrow. Wrist, shoulder and knees all hurt. But nothing worth going to the doctor for.

I have been thinking it over and over, what went wrong, what I could have done differnet. Been looking at "fix it" parts. Thinking of my losses, gloves, boots, helmet...and keep coming back to that "cheek hit" and how bad it would have been without a helmet. Most likely broken jaw, teeth, maybe eye socket. And then all the "rest" of the damage seems inconsequential.

My helmet didnt save my life. But it did protect me from a longterm life long injury to my face.

Preaching to the choir I know. But felt like I should share.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post

Smacked and slide on the right jaw of my full face. Rubbed a good size hole in my boot.

and keep coming back to that "cheek hit" and how bad it would have been without a helmet.

My helmet didnt save my life. But it did protect me from a longterm life long injury to my face.
Your helmet may have very well saved your life, or a very severe head injury... Given that the helmet made your head hit the pavement an inch or two sooner than it would have without it, imagine this. Without a helmet, you head has an inch or more to travel, being twisted further towards the top of your head by your neck before it hit the pavement. Without the helmet, this could have very well been an " Ear Hit " or outright above the ear hit. Also, the shape of the helmet could have favored the cheek area more than without it. So don't assume this would have been a " Cheek Hit " without it, you could have very well been in intensive care or worse without it.

As far as preaching to the choir, that is OK. We all have the temptation to just go around the block without the helmet sometimes, a nice easy ride like this, where there is no other traffic, and where nothing could possibly go wrong.... A story like this is always a good reminder to ALWYAS use the helmet, no matter if its just a test run around the block.

As far as cause of the accident, chances are you were going much faster around the corner than you realize. I have seen it a million times, people SWEAR they were going slow, did not do something, etc. etc until they see the video. Slow down on them corners, as sooner or later, you WILL hit sand, oil, or something that will result in the same type of accident again. I'm glad you are OK, learn from it, and have fun riding !!!

Mike

JettPilot screwed with this post 12-01-2014 at 09:49 AM
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 244
Glad you are apparently OK.

You are not preaching to the choir. Your post should be required reading to any prospective M/C rider........

THX!
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
You wouldn't believe how many motorcycle accident scenes I've stumbled across or had happen right in front of me over the long years of riding, and the number one thing that has always stood out in my mind of all the strange things, is shoes. Running shoes, loafers, deck shoes, whatever. If they are not boots, they always seem to come flying off upon impact
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

You may be right about the "change" in angle from "helmet to no helmet"

I can promise you I was not "hot" in the turn. Its the turn into my neighborhood. I make that turn 10-15 times a week. This time I was actually slower than normal because I had chopped my power early and coasted to the turn. I have been concerned that my carbs were leaking at the float valve and been turning off gas and coming in the driveway fairly "dry" in the carbs. I actually remember thinking "i cut the power way too early cause im now going so slow its taking forever to get to my turn"!
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Thumb

I like to think of the scuffs on gear as skin, only skin is way softer. Maybe
some pics of your gear would send that point home.

Have Glock will transport hippy helmets across state lines.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just drove up to the corner to look at "the scene"

I can now see probably what happened. There is some gravel there...looks like someone recently cut the corner and kicked some out onto the lower part of the turn. Road was recently repaved so its black tar road with black gravel. Standing there with the light of the headlight AND a flashlight and I STILL couldnt see the extent of it. Only in daylight and almost getting down on my belly to look across the pavement could I see that there could be enough to put you down.

But the real lesson to be learned here is this was 1/4 mile from my house. A place I am riding every day. I really dont think with the info at hand I could have "seen it coming" and as I was even slower than normal it still didnt help. But the gear, even when not going far from home or in this case around the block, is so important.

note the rock still embedded

I think initially my boot was trapped with the weight of the bike pushing it into the ground and thats the reason for the big hole. FYI, I never even felt it and my feet/ankles have no hint of injury or soreness today.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Kind of scary looking at that glove

I always wear gloves. In my woodshop. Working in the yard. And always on the motorcycle. Imagine if that was your hand. That is down to the bone for sure. And that rock wrapped around some tendons... I am very glad you are OK.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
adriannzinha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
First off, glad you made it out relatively unscathed in the grand scheme of all things riding.

Second, the fact that it was rather close to home and seemingly a mundane corner does tie in nicely with the studies I've read such as the Hurt Report that indicates most accidents occur not far from home. This is pure speculation now on my part, but maybe that is exactly why they occur so close to home....this is familiar turf, what could co wrong?

Your helmet definitely saved your teeth, looks, and very possibly a head or brain injury.

Preaching to the choir is actually good I think because some of us can get complacent into thinking we are so well geared, so well trained, and prepped that it can't possibly happen to us. Yet here we are talking about it.

You seem to be in the "hyper-reflective" camp as it pertains to the risks of riding which I can appreciate with the inevitable analysis and asking 'what ifs'. We should always question our methods because sometimes new, better answers can emerge.
adriannzinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Were you on the airhead??? Glad it wasn't worse and you're just sore, not broken. A nice single malt and a muscle relaxer....all will be well!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 448
Glad you escaped pretty much unscathed. I slipped on the ice a week ago just walking and fell to my head before I realized I slipped and think I cracked my skull slightly. Sometimes it don't take much to crack the gourd, and a bike falling on it would not be good.
4:20 Its Hippy Hour
pigjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nope, on the triumph. I would have rather it have been the airhead. The /6 has been through the ringer and is already road worn. The triumph is the newest, lowest mile, nicest vehicle I have ever owned. It was pristine. The ding in the tank is what hurts the most....the paint was beautiful....really really beautiful.

little better shot of the tank.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,916
ouch!
glad you had all your gear on ..
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #14
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriannzinha View Post
Second, the fact that it was rather close to home and seemingly a mundane corner does tie in nicely with the studies I've read such as the Hurt Report that indicates most accidents occur not far from home. This is pure speculation now on my part, but maybe that is exactly why they occur so close to home....this is familiar turf, what could co wrong?

Your helmet definitely saved your teeth, looks, and very possibly a head or brain injury.
When you look at the statistics that say that you are more likely to get in an accident X miles from home, that makes sense, I dont think its a complacency thing, but more of the amount of your total time "exposed" is close to home. Think about it. Every trip to take you pass "close to home". This was the turn into my neighborhood. I make that turn several times a day. Usually faster than I did last night as its turning off from a 60mph zone and cars dont seem to care or slow down for someone turning.

Update for the night, 24 hours in and im feeling pretty good. Knees sting from the road rash, wrist doesnt hurt at all, shoulder (elbow, to pec to shoulder blade muscles) are all sore. No neck pain of any kind. Few bruises on my ribs...more just sensitive spots.

So all in all I came out great. And the thing I keep coming back to is the damage to my face that a half helmet or no helmet couldnt have protected me from! I really enjoyed eating solid food today!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
And the thing I keep coming back to is the damage to my face that a half helmet or no helmet couldnt have protected me from! I really enjoyed eating solid food today!
It's freaky, isn't it!? I am very "real" when talking to people in class(MSF) about FF helmets vs. the others....and I've had several people hem and hah about having to borrow a helmet from us. They don't want to wear a FF helmet, and that's all we loan out. Then come saturday, "BAM" they smack the ground with their face....and from then on they are a lifer when it comes to wearing a FF.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote