Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #211
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 739
If the only riding I could do was in heavy traffic - I wouldn't ride.
If I had to ride thru heavy traffic to get to the good riding - I wouldn't ride.

Too risky. They are out to kill you - even if they don't know it.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #212
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
I've been riding since 1987, except for a couple year break about 12 years ago.

I'd sold my street bikes, bought a dirt bike and a convertible, and thought that would be fine.

Why? Well, people drive like crap, and around here there are a LOT of people. And I was kinda burnt out, after a number of years with an old shovelhead chopper and the constant awareness of something about to go wrong with the thing. Bought a 1st gen Speed Triple, loved the engine but the cafe ergos were not for me, I just wasn't feeling it. Figured the dirt would be enough.

Then I saw the new Yamaha Road Star Warrior on '02. Hey, that looks perfect. Bought one in '03 and haven't looked back. Just bought an HD touring bike to make trips more enjoyable. More of my riding is on road trips, and less around town. No more bar hopping either.

To mitigate risk I don't ride to work anymore (too many distracted assholes at rush hour), I wear a lot more gear (no more beanie helmets and t-shirts), try to avoid heavy traffic areas, and ride a little slower than I used to.

I plan to ride as long as I can, I'm only 47 so I figure I have decades to go.
I need to get in a little better shape to make that happen, but it's worth it.
I can't imaging not riding at all. I need it to maintain my sanity, it's one of the only ways I've found to live in the moment and stop thinking about all of the BS in life. I always feel better after a nice long ride.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #213
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
I haven't quit and always want to have something in the garage. I have definitely taken a more risk averse approach to riding the last couple of years though: no rush hour or heavy traffic areas, ride during daylight as much as possible, and stay pretty close to the posted limit, always atgatt. Prior I used my bikes as transportation, but after some close calls I came around to be thinking that I something ever happens, it better be while I'm having fun, not commuting home with all of the other wage slaves.

And like somebody said up above, dirt riding it my true attraction to the sport, and their just isn't enough around here to justify the time, money, and effort. Mountain biking is something I can do locally and I have as much if not more fun doing it, not to mention the health benefits.

I do ways want to have a motorbike in the garage for those days when I am itching to get out there though. Quitting altogether is not something I'm ready for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #214
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I am 62. Riding vs not riding. I guess I will continue to ride as long as riding brings me more joy than not riding will. Can I get hurt or killed while riding? Yes, but at my age I very much realize that I can get hurt or killed while not riding too.

Survivor of four heart attacks...
Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #215
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I also bring up he white elephant in the room. Health and taking care of yourself early & late in life. We eat very well & exercise/yoga daily. I'm talking a ton of organic fruits & vegetables, organic brown rice & quinoa, tofu, fresh juiced veggies, smoothies, greens & salads, wild-caught fish, etc. No red meat, nitrate sausages, bacons, excessive fats sugars or salts, no soda, fructose corn syrups, fast food and all the other bad crap out there.

I see ALOT of ride reports of guys showing off there greasy meat & potato meals or burgers & fries. Guess what all that if fun until your body gives out. You are fat, bald, over weight & cancer and death are knocking too early. You need to quit riding because you did not take care of yourself and it's too late. Sure there are stories of older folks not taking care of themselves and still doing just fine. Their food supply was much better & nutrient rich in there earlier years than what we have now. You must choose well these days.

I'm 48,

I eat and have eaten junk most of my life. I've reeled it in some since I don't work as hard physically as I used to, but far from what most would consider healthy.

I usually have a bowl of ceral in the morning, nothing too sugar coated, usually Honey Nut Cheerioes. I eat a small lunch which may or may not be balanced. Most days it is sort of healthy but some days it's chicken cheese steak with extra cheese and onions. For dinner it's pretty much whatever my wife cooks or we go out to get. I limit major red meat consumption to twice a week. I limit soda to two a day. A handful of chips or chips and salsa every now and then. One night of the weekend is usually some kind of feast of things that no normal human should eat like extra hot buffalo wings and pizza with a double helping of bacon and pepperoni.

My blood sugar is fine, my blood pressure is fine, my cholestorol is fine and my general overall health is fine.

Of course I'll be in the gym tonight, like every night of the week, either running or doing some other kind of aerobic exercise as well as the usual stuff. I'm not fast, but fast enough and closing in on my back to back to back 7 minute miles.

I tried to eat healthy once. It was the most miserable month of my life.

It's all about balance and some of it's genetics. You can have questionable diet......if you're willing to work harder and are able to recognize when you need to dial it back.

Now, combine glutony with a sedentary lifestyle? then 60 years old looks like a long life.

All my health issues like hearing loss, sleeplessness, sore knees and sinus infections come from deployments. No diet is gonna fix that
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #216
Capt Spaulding
Card Carrying Member

Oddometer: 32
For me, it depends on the day and time I'm asked. Back in January I was on the way to WeazyBudha's to meet up for a breakfast ride early on Sunday morning. A quarter mile ahead a woman in a Tahoe was stopped at a light, on her cell phone having a fight with her BF. As I entered the intersection she finished the fight and stood on the gas and ran the light. I hit the brakes and tried to steer behind her. Didn't make it. Drove face first into the side of the Tahoe, shattered both bones in both forearms, broke two ribs, subdural hematoma. (I became an evangelist for full face helmets that morning) The hardware is out/off of one arm, still waiting on the other, the ribs are still quite sore, and the effects of the TBI are mostly gone.

Do I want to keep tickling the dragon? I've been riding for just under 50 years. I am not sure I'm going to keep doing so. The event was so random, so inexplicable that I just don't know how to think about it yet.

Capt Spaulding screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 09:56 AM
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #217
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
For me, it depends on the day and time I'm asked. Back in January I was on the way to WeazyBudha's to meet up for a breakfast ride early on Sunday morning. A quarter mile ahead a woman in a Tahoe was stopped at a light, on her cell phone having a fight with her BF. As I entered the intersection she finished the fight and stood on the gas and ran the light. I hit the brakes and tried to steer behind her. Didn't make it. Drove face first into the side of the Tahoe, shattered both bones in both forearms, broke two ribs, subdural hematoma. (I became an evangelist for full face helmets that morning) The hardware is out/off of one arm, still waiting on the other, the ribs are still quite sore, and the effects of the TBI are mostly gone.

Do I want to keep tickling the dragon? I've been riding for just under 50 years. I am not sure I'm going to keep doing so. The event was so random, so inexplicable that I just don't know how to think about it yet.
Did you get the chick to give you adequate compensation?

My suggestion is to, when you are up to it, get out and take a ride. You'll either relax and want to continue or you'll get a bad feeling. Based on the experience, decide if you want off or on.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #218
Capt Spaulding
Card Carrying Member

Thanks Slide. I plan to follow that advice. It will be a couple of months before I can get back on, so time isn't a factor. As to the Tahoe driver, her liability coverage was exhausted the first day I was in the hospital. I suspect she doesn't have the assets to make it worth going after.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #219
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Thanks Slide. I plan to follow that advice. It will be a couple of months before I can get back on, so time isn't a factor. As to the Tahoe driver, her liability coverage was exhausted the first day I was in the hospital. I suspect she doesn't have the assets to make it worth going after.
Ah, that stinks about you not being compensated for your expenses.

BTW, I'm speaking from experience. I had spinal surgery which left one leg poorly functioning. The cause wasn't riding.

I couldn't ride and after a year or so, a guy offered to buy my bike. I gave up and sold it to him figuring I was a lifelong cripple. However, one AM I woke up and my leg was 100%. The nerves regenerated or rerouted or something.

I immediately headed down to the bike store, bought a bike and rode back home. Within one block of the bike store, I felt all warm as if I'd come back home. So I knew this was for me and it still is so but I recognize that one day instead of warmth, I'll feel dread. That is the time to sell and not look back.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #220
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Fwiw, my accident in 2008 was similar to yours, and she didn't have any assets either, and not much insurance. That said, i wanted to get back on the bike immediately, but had no bike and my arm with plate and screws could not handle it anyway, weight wise. I bought a non running bike and took five or six months to get it restored, which was very therapeutic. There was no rush. I finally got back on and felt great freedom!

That said, as I posted earlier in this thread, I found myself riding less and less, it became more of a mental chore, and the fun was gone. I sold my remaining moto in December, mostly because I felt my skill set kind of atrophied if you will, from not riding. Well that, and that there are a LOT more distracted drivers on cell phones, and as a self employed divorced guy, i have no one to help me should I break an arm again.

I have a new sports car, which satisfies my need for fun, and I have not ruled out motos in the future, but the time is right for me now to take a break. Ps,if I were not wearing a full face, I would not have a face

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #221
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
I guess I've been very lucky in the 51 years I've been riding to have never had a seriously debilitating accident on a road bike. I also work very, very hard at my skills and awareness to keep it that way. I have had innumerable crashes of all descriptions on dirt bikes (and skis and kayaks and rock climbing and bicycles and...) but never on my road bike in traffic on asphalt. I completely agree that there is an endless supply of idiots out there in traffic that will kill you and never even realize what they've done and I watch like a hawk for them every second I'm riding. All that said and considered, I will only stop riding when I physically can't do it any longer. "They" will have to pry the grips out of my cold, dead hands and then I'll be done.

And here's why: I just took a lunch-time ride up the mountain near my home on my WR250R, the first since I put it away for the Winter back in November 2013. The feeling I get when I do the first ride of a new season is unbelievable, akin to the first time you get laid after a long drought, or the first nibble on your fly line the first day of a new fishing season, or the first powder run of a new ski season, or the first sight of a big buck through your scope on opening day, or... You get the picture.

I live for this feeling and my motorcycles never fail to deliver. It's almost 70*F here right now and snow/sleet/cold is forecast for tomorrow and Thursday, so I hope to get the Big Pig out later this afternoon for the first serious crack high of the season before the weather turns to shite again!

Ride until you can't, I say. If I die on a motorcycle I will have gone as a very happy man.

Doug
Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #222
Capt Spaulding
Card Carrying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Ps,if I were not wearing a full face, I would not have a face
Yo tambien.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #223
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Get a lawyer (No, I am not one). He will go after her assets (if she has any), then he will go to your insurance company for the rest. You need to be made whole financially (including lost wages, money for your pain and suffering). Do this, you are paying for it anyway in other ways. Get yourself in good shape to do what you want when you have recovered. This is a part of why you as a good citizen pay your insurance.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #224
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
Get a lawyer (No, I am not one). He will go after her assets (if she has any), then he will go to your insurance company for the rest. You need to be made whole financially (including lost wages, money for your pain and suffering). Do this, you are paying for it anyway in other ways. Get yourself in good shape to do what you want when you have recovered. This is a part of why you as a good citizen pay your insurance.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
Explain me the mechanism he can get any shortfalls from his own insurance unless his policy has that provision in which case he hardly needs a lawyer.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #225
ncsonderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I've got a 19 month old who is my life. I really only get to commute 41 mile round trip most days as my main riding now. I did get to a state rally and some weekend rides last year, but have slowed and make sue to have ATGATT.

I recently added a GSA to learn to ride off road as well. My thought is to open up my opportunities and also slow down a touch. I also see the future when my son wants to go with me. Momma won't let that happen, so I told her at that point we'd get him a little dirt bike and the appropriate gear to learn in a safe environment. I will then have the knowledge to help him learn safely and in a controlled environment. Seems like the most responsible way to introduce him if he wants it. I will not push it on him at all.

I'm a lost cause and feel my enjoyment outweighs the risks (for me, yes it's selfish). I try to minimize the risks with my gear choices and choice of riding well within my limits. I never want to be in a position not to be able to play ball with my son while he grows!
ncsonderman is offline   Reply With Quote