ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #46
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorz View Post
Hello,

Any advise for a noob? I'm on a DRZ 400 with stock tank and 606's. First time doing this type of ride, and I'm going solo.

Mike

Carry extra tire tubes, drinking water, and some kind of jacket/vest, at a minimum.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #47
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 362
Question USFS-approved spark arrestor

Probably a stupid question, but better to sound stupid here than look stupid at tech inpection...

On http://watr.us/ they mention under "REQUIREMENTS TO RIDE:" that "Your bike must be equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrestor and pass the AMA sound test."

I have a BMW F650GS single with the stock exhaust, and I couldn't find spark arrestors whether USFS-approved or CBOA-approved for it.

I'm assuming that the stock exhaust should pass without a problem and the spark arrestor & sound test bit are mainly for dirt bikes with free flowing mufflers, but I'd rather be sure. TIA!
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #48
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Probably a stupid question, but better to sound stupid here than look stupid at tech inpection...

On http://watr.us/ they mention under "REQUIREMENTS TO RIDE:" that "Your bike must be equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrestor and pass the AMA sound test."

I have a BMW F650GS single with the stock exhaust, and I couldn't find spark arrestors whether USFS-approved or CBOA-approved for it.

I'm assuming that the stock exhaust should pass without a problem and the spark arrestor & sound test bit are mainly for dirt bikes with free flowing mufflers, but I'd rather be sure. TIA!
Yeah, you will be fine. Any "from the factory" street legal bike w/ stock exhaust should be good.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #49
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post

I didn't have any trouble getting my plated Husky 2 Stroke through last year.

+1 on the jacket, tube and water. It was snowing at the higher elevations last year.
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #50
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 206
I rode my R1200GSA last year. It is a lot of work on the trails because of the rocks and not so much fun in the corners on the loose gravel roads. Also bent up my rims a bit on the trails. One time I bounced off a loose rock while climbing a hill and landed with the front pointing down hill. Luckily a few guys stopped to help me slide it around, get it point in the right direction, and going up the hill again. Saw a busted up GS in the back of a pickup at lunch. I heard the owner broke an ankle. Some of the course is certainly a good test of big bike skills. There's a special trail available to challenge the smaller bikes.

The best part of having a big bike is that with the bags I was able to carry full size spoons, windex, and an electric pump and I was able to help out someone with a flat.

Did I say it was a lot of work? It was a lot of work. I'm back on a small bike this year.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob578 View Post
I didn't have any trouble getting my plated Husky 2 Stroke through last year.

+1 on the jacket, tube and water. It was snowing at the higher elevations last year.
Oh yeah, I forgot all about the snow on the 2nd day, brrrrrrrrrrr. The seats are usually frosted first thing in the morning.

Found some video from last year. FF for the snow.
http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/v...n500201150.mp4

screamin injin screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 05:54 PM
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Hello,

Any advise for a noob? I'm on a DRZ 400 with stock tank and 606's. First time doing this type of ride, and I'm going solo.

Mike
+1 on the jacket, tube and water. Add glove liners, just a thin pair of windproof liners helps a lot in the cold!

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #53
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,574
okay guys. I the 4 years I've been going, it was only cold once. The odds are in favor of another great ride in great weather.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #54
vibenation
Out of Rat Race

Oddometer: 62
My first year i did it with a DRZ with stock tank, a fairly worn 606 rear, and fairly fresh MT21 on the front.

If your tires are worn down, and you have time, spare coin, and inclination throw a fresh set on and scrub them in for a hundred miles or so before the Sheny 500. Freshy tires not a must, but it is a long ride, only occurs once a year, and the added traction of new tires would be nice. My tires that year were not shot, but some extra grip would be nice.

As for the stock tank, the organizers do a good job with fuel stops, just make sure to have cash on hand for it, long lines with other riders and rural gas stations don't all take credit. I still have a stock tank on my DRZ I will be riding, but have added a 1 gallon rotopax and wolfman holster with Primus bottle. Had no fuel issues last year, don't expect that to change this year.

Layers have been discussed by other responders, bring plenty of warm stuff. I ended up running out to Walmart last Friday night to get some warmer gloves to cover my MX gloves after setting up camp as I did not have warm enough gloves and it did snap cold.

Mostly just relax and enjoy the ride, ride YOUR ride, keep your pace in your comfort zone and know lots of other riders are around to help if issues pop up.

Quote:
Hello,

Mike
Booze and the blowens cop the lot."
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #55
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 362
Thumb Thanks!

Thanks for the replies and the helpful suggestions for noobs like me, keep them coming!

Actually, here's my setup so far:

The bike: 2005 BMW F650GS Dakar with Michelin T63 21" front and Shinko 705 rear. IRC HD tubes front and back with a few spares, tube fix kit: full size levers, electic pump ('cause I'm lazy! ), tools etc.

Gear: 3 season jacket and pants with water proof inserts and heated gloves. Water proof boots (successfully tested through a few creek crossings).

Me: fat to keep me warm and bald to reflect light off my head if I have to signal for an emergency. I'll carry some energy bars and water if I need.

Does anyone make use of roadbooks, or do people just go with the flow? I have a GPS, can I load the route onto it?
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #56
VA Rider OP
New Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 18
Ticket Window is Closing - Friday Midnight

Get them while you still can. There are a few more spots open. Once the ticket window closes that's it. This years S500 is going to be a great one - see you all there.

Shenandoah 500 Dual Sport Registration Closes at Midnight Tonight and is Almost Full!!

Pre-registration for the 2012 AMA Husqvarna Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport (Oct. 6th & 7th) is almost full. Pre-registrations will ONLY be ACCEPTED via ONLINE.

PRE-REGISTER ONLINE - http://watr.us/

If you have not pre-registered yet and you would like to join us, please don't delay. Again, we are ALMOST FULL!

*** IMPORTANT ***: This event is PRE-REGISTRATION ONLINE ONLY! First come, first served. No entries accepted after Friday, September 7, 2012 or when rider limit has been met, whichever comes first. NO MAILED IN PRE-REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!! NO POST-ENTRIES!! This event will continue, rain or shine - no refunds will be granted.

If you plan on camping with us at the Natural Chimneys Park Campground and have not yet made reservations, please call them at 540-245-5727 to make your reservations ASAP. Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

FOOD: Entry fee includes breakfast, lunch, dinner for Saturday and breakfast, lunch for Sunday.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Ultra Heavy Duty (UHD) inner tubes in both your front and rear tires are highly recommended to help minimize the chance of pinch flats.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3ZfjOR_kg

TALK ABOUT THE RIDE:
ADVrider - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819589
Facebook - http://facebook.com/WashingtonAreaTrailRiders
DAMNriders.org - http://damnriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2644

QUESTIONS?: Feel free to email us directly with any questions you might have - dualsport@watr.us

We hope to see you on the trail with us in October for the 18th annual Shenandoah 500 National Dual Sport!

Washington Area Trail Riders
http://watr.us/
VA Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #57
screamin injin
FUBAR

Lupin- they don't give out gps cords for this event. They do put together a rollchart and with the trail markers, it's hard to get lost. I keep a gps running just in case and to record the track.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #58
Futo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Lupin- they don't give out gps cords for this event. They do put together a rollchart and with the trail markers, it's hard to get lost. I keep a gps running just in case and to record the track.

I figured there'd be a bunch of riders all headed in the same direction....this is wishful thinking? I should get a roll chart "holder?"?
Futo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #59
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futo View Post
I figured there'd be a bunch of riders all headed in the same direction....this is wishful thinking? I should get a roll chart "holder?"?
You could get along without it, but it is kind of fun and useful to learn. If you get separated from the group it will get you back on track.

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #60
screamin injin
FUBAR

[QUOTE=Futo;19543506]I figured there'd be a bunch of riders all headed in the same direction....this is wishful thinking? I should get a roll chart "holder?"?[/QU

It does come in handy.