User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Fatboy206 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
F800GS Centre Stand

I am considering purchasing a F800GS (2010 or 2011) from a friend who got the bike from another guy so my bud can't answer my question about the absent centre stand. I noticed the bike did not have a centre stand, can anyone confirm if the bike has the stand as stock equipmenment? Thanks
Fatboy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
Centre or Center stand?

Pretty much ya pay for either stand, center or centre. They both do the same thing.

this is an american joke.........

If an 800gs has only a side stand, that is stock.

in my world, center stands are optional

If a used bike does not have a center stand, it may not have many other "standard options".

Look for ABS, heated grips, these things are normal, but optional on a 2009.

bobo
Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Jeff4155
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
In South Africa the centre stand, ABS, heated grips are all optional extra's, but heared the new 2013 models come standard with the heated grips and ABS
Jeff4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
The center stand is an option in the states. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
If you are going to run knobblies, disregard this. If you're going to run road tyres AND you are a reasonably competent/fast road rider you will find you deck the OE BMW stand out too soon. It looks cool for people following you, but it's unnerving how much it gets in the way of fast cornering. This is really a problem if you're overweight or regularly carry a pillion or luggage. I used to have to take mine off for trackdays.

I (and another rider here) found the Wunderlich/Hepco & Becker stand to offer far more ground clearance (their marketing claim of retaining 100% ground clearance is pretty much true). Unfortunately, we both found that it got this height by running much too close to the chain and swingarm. Unloading the suspension meant the chain* touched the stand. Less than 500 miles with it on and the chain had worn through the paint on the stand and only 100 miles of that was offroad. It had also scuffed the swingarm.

The third stand I tried, the Metal Mule/SWMotech is halfway between the two. It has less ground clearance than the Wunderlich, but never hits the chain/swingarm. I've yet to deck it road riding, although to be fair, I've not done a trackday with it in place on road tyres yet. I think for most riders' needs, if you didn't have a stand this'd be the stand to go for. If you already have the OE stand, stick with that, unless you encounter the decking problem I described.

*Yes, it was properly adjusted.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Jeff4155
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Well when I say its standard I mean its been worked into the price for which you pay anyway....

Sent from my iPad
Jeff4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,373
In Europe it wasn't standard either. It came with a "GS Pack" with a load of options for 200 less.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote