ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #226
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
No worries. Glad you found it and enjoyed it.

Yeah, as you read, that's pretty much the experience we had going into Canada at the Washington border. I didn't get it. If we were at the airport and were traveling together we'd go up to the customs agent together, not separate. Guess its a big deal to them there. Who knew. Actually have video of it. It's pretty funny. Halfway up you see the red light go off and the lady jamming her hand out the window in a "Stop" motion. From there I backed up and let Stephanie go first. Ohhh those crazy Canadians.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heh heh, we were thinking: *gulp* "Hope all Americans aren't like this guy, all the way to Galveston!"

Fortunately, every single last USA'r was awesome the whole trip
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #227
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
I don't know if every Arai model is like my Profile, but, mine has channels in the padding for my glasses to slide into. I don't have the problem Stephanie is having with her glasses. My GF's KBC doesn't have the channels, either, and she's stated her next helmet will be an Arai. IDK, but, it'd be worth checking out.

Excellent RR, BTW.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #228
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I don't know if every Arai model is like my Profile, but, mine has channels in the padding for my glasses to slide into. I don't have the problem Stephanie is having with her glasses. My GF's KBC doesn't have the channels, either, and she's stated her next helmet will be an Arai. IDK, but, it'd be worth checking out.

Excellent RR, BTW.
Thanks a lot ducnut. Glad you enjoyed it.
Yeah the Shoei doesn't have those channels. I had the Arai profile before and I remember it was nice to have that for my sunglasses. But the Shoei seems to fit both of us better so I guess you take the good with the bad. Besides, don't say anything but she's getting a new Shoei rf100 to go with that fancy new bike of hers
__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #229
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Heh heh, we were thinking: *gulp* "Hope all Americans aren't like this guy, all the way to Galveston!"

Fortunately, every single last USA'r was awesome the whole trip
lol, especially in Texas where they very well MIGHT shoot you!!!
__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #230
Tgpatrsn
Adventurer
 
Tgpatrsn's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 25
How do you go about planning your trips? Do you use a specific website? Do you plan to travel a certain distance every day? Sorry for all the questions. Your trip was awesome to read about!
Tgpatrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #231
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgpatrsn View Post
How do you go about planning your trips? Do you use a specific website? Do you plan to travel a certain distance every day? Sorry for all the questions. Your trip was awesome to read about!
I use google maps at home to plan the trip beforehand. We usually start by looking into how many days we'll have free and where we want to go. For this trip we knew we wanted to go to Victoria, B.C., so that would be our halfway point. We had been there some years back and it might seem silly, but I thought it would be neat to go there and be able to take the ferries back and forth with the bikes. I knew we wanted to take the coast all the way up, so once the final destination of Victoria was established I pretty much start dividing the miles up into manageable distances. Typically, we're doing 250 miles per day. Back east, where you're averaging higher speeds, we were doing about 350 miles per day.
Along the coast the riding is slower going during some legs of the trip, so I had to look at each leg individually. You can't just look at the miles. With google maps you can see what sort of drive time it gives you. For example; Mendocino, CA to Crescent City, CA was 227 miles and about 4.5 hours. But Crescent City to Florence, OR was 4 hours to go a 181 miles. Not a huge difference, but when you start looking at lodging options, the next stop with hotels might be a much longer way down the road, making the leg not-so-manageable. And before you think, " oh 4 hours is nothing", keep in mind the stops along the way, a couple of meals, gas stops, photo ops, etc and that 4 hours turns to 8 real quick. We'd stop for lunch and meet someone and next thing you know your meal took and hour and a half. But that's the beauty of a trip like this. So anyway, We would typically roll into wherever we were going around 5-6 o'clock, which was fine because the "trip" for us is the ride every day. That's the attraction for us. The places where we explored a bit off the bikes was in Seattle and Victoria, where we stayed a few nights in each. And not to keep repeating myself, but I can't stress enough what a difference it will make when you make it a point to stop every 50 miles. It breaks each leg up into portions you will enjoy and forces you not to PUSH through the trip. The idea is to enjoy it, not hurry thru it. And this has nothing to do with speed, it has to do with a mindset of taking everything in. If you want to enjoy a quicker pace, great. That's different than speeding because your hurrying to get there. I remember the first long trip we ever took. I'd want to stop and take a picture and thought, "nah, forget it....all these stops will make us get there too late". Never again. We stop all the time and that's one of the best part of the trips.

Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury that antihero had of unlimited days. We were also traveling during some peak travel months, so hotels would have to be booked ahead of time. That's also easy now with all the different travel websites. We tried to find places that seemed to have good parking and also made sure we stayed somewhere every few days that offered washers and dryers (pretty key in order to pack lighter).

As far as planning which road we'd take: the coast is self explanatory. Hwy-1 and 101 all the way up, pretty much till we headed to Seattle. The rest required A LOT of planning using google street view. I always try and stay away from the highways and stick to back roads, so after I pick the next destination I start zooming in on the different roads that could get us there. It's so easy nowadays with the street view, reviews, satellite views, etc, etc. I takes a lot of time, but its SO cool to ride along on a road that you already "saw" and find that it surpasses your expectations. This was definitely the case with most of the roads we came across. I'll also remind you that I use a Garmin GPS (pictured below). I know a lot of people like to map it out "old school", but honestly I'd rather enjoy the ride and not have to worry about going the wrong way. Trust me there's plenty of other things that will go somewhat wrong (as you read in the RR). Being lost and having our ride run into the night isn't one of the things I want on that list.

Hope this helps.


GPS mounted on bike:
__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #232
pumpe3
lazy Swede
 
pumpe3's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 54
I'am glad to read al your tips and trix on how to make the trip happen
pumpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #233
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Geez! The Italians totally understand finishes. I've loved all my bikes, but, when comparing to current Ducatis and MV Agustas, no one else gets it.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #234
Tgpatrsn
Adventurer
 
Tgpatrsn's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
I use google maps at home to plan the trip beforehand. We usually start by looking into how many days we'll have free and where we want to go. For this trip we knew we wanted to go to Victoria, B.C., so that would be our halfway point. We had been there some years back and it might seem silly, but I thought it would be neat to go there and be able to take the ferries back and forth with the bikes. I knew we wanted to take the coast all the way up, so once the final destination of Victoria was established I pretty much start dividing the miles up into manageable distances. Typically, we're doing 250 miles per day. Back east, where you're averaging higher speeds, we were doing about 350 miles per day.
Along the coast the riding is slower going during some legs of the trip, so I had to look at each leg individually. You can't just look at the miles. With google maps you can see what sort of drive time it gives you. For example; Mendocino, CA to Crescent City, CA was 227 miles and about 4.5 hours. But Crescent City to Florence, OR was 4 hours to go a 181 miles. Not a huge difference, but when you start looking at lodging options, the next stop with hotels might be a much longer way down the road, making the leg not-so-manageable. And before you think, " oh 4 hours is nothing", keep in mind the stops along the way, a couple of meals, gas stops, photo ops, etc and that 4 hours turns to 8 real quick. We'd stop for lunch and meet someone and next thing you know your meal took and hour and a half. But that's the beauty of a trip like this. So anyway, We would typically roll into wherever we were going around 5-6 o'clock, which was fine because the "trip" for us is the ride every day. That's the attraction for us. The places where we explored a bit off the bikes was in Seattle and Victoria, where we stayed a few nights in each. And not to keep repeating myself, but I can't stress enough what a difference it will make when you make it a point to stop every 50 miles. It breaks each leg up into portions you will enjoy and forces you not to PUSH through the trip. The idea is to enjoy it, not hurry thru it. And this has nothing to do with speed, it has to do with a mindset of taking everything in. If you want to enjoy a quicker pace, great. That's different than speeding because your hurrying to get there. I remember the first long trip we ever took. I'd want to stop and take a picture and thought, "nah, forget it....all these stops will make us get there too late". Never again. We stop all the time and that's one of the best part of the trips.

Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury that antihero had of unlimited days. We were also traveling during some peak travel months, so hotels would have to be booked ahead of time. That's also easy now with all the different travel websites. We tried to find places that seemed to have good parking and also made sure we stayed somewhere every few days that offered washers and dryers (pretty key in order to pack lighter).

As far as planning which road we'd take: the coast is self explanatory. Hwy-1 and 101 all the way up, pretty much till we headed to Seattle. The rest required A LOT of planning using google street view. I always try and stay away from the highways and stick to back roads, so after I pick the next destination I start zooming in on the different roads that could get us there. It's so easy nowadays with the street view, reviews, satellite views, etc, etc. I takes a lot of time, but its SO cool to ride along on a road that you already "saw" and find that it surpasses your expectations. This was definitely the case with most of the roads we came across. I'll also remind you that I use a Garmin GPS (pictured below). I know a lot of people like to map it out "old school", but honestly I'd rather enjoy the ride and not have to worry about going the wrong way. Trust me there's plenty of other things that will go somewhat wrong (as you read in the RR). Being lost and having our ride run into the night isn't one of the things I want on that list.

Hope this helps.


GPS mounted on bike:
Thank you for your awesome reply!! That really helps. Thanks again!
Tgpatrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #235
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Geez! The Italians totally understand finishes. I've loved all my bikes, but, when comparing to current Ducatis and MV Agustas, no one else gets it.
The fit and finish of the Ducati is great. Love the bike. With that being said, the fit and finish of the brutale I had was a notch above even that of the Ducati. That's a product of producing 4,000 (hand-made) vs 40,000 bikes per year. The lack of dealer network/support and availability of parts is a real killer for MV. That to me is where Ducati is MILES ahead of MV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #236
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
.
To answer the PM requesting that I post the route we took. Here's a link to the google map.

Also, check out this spot HERE ON HWY-20 (click and go to the "street view" and pan around)

This area AROUND HERE wasn't too bad either (same thing...click and pan around)


__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #237
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
-----------
btw, that screenshot of the google street-view was of this area:

__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #238
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GP1152's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 448
Christmas..... Bike still on the way, but thought this was funny. This is how you know you've found "the one". Here's Stephanie with one of her Xmas gifts (akropovic exhaust for her new SF848):
__________________
Gus M.
Ducati Streetfighter-S 1098 | Ducati Streetfighter 848 (wife's)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #239
Yoyodyne
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 93
^^^^^^^^^^^^Too funny^^^^^^^^

Looks like it's a beautiful baby boy. I bet the other pipe's a beautiful baby girl. Twins!

I bet they scream and holler.

/I'll stop now
//
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #240
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,172
Ahhh! A woman who appreciates only the finest in exhausts.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014