Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #241
mcjetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice RR

This is a great RR!
I just found your thread a couple of days ago and been reading the heck out of it. Love the idea to Yelp for some good places to eat while out cruis'n the country. I was riding some of the same roads you were on in North California, oregon coast and at Crater Lake except I was up there in June.
mcjetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #242
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Sat and read your entire RR over a couple of cups of coffee waiting for the (almost) wife and kids and rabbit to wake up this morning. Too much turkey. Maybe the wine. Nah must have been the turkey.
Wonderful ride story. Beautiful photos with nice prose to boot! Love the bike choice for the tour. I toured on my 74 Sport back in the 70's. Great bike. Love the new yellow beast.
Julie (AW) and I are mulling over a run from San Diego to Victoria this spring. She was born in LA, grew up in Capistrano Beach until her artist parents decided that it be nice to grow avocados outside of San Diego. Typical life decision. Her dad and one sister now live in Victoria and the other sister lives in San Diego so the obvious choice is to ship the bike to SD and drive up to Vic. Julie flies back and I ride around BC and WA with an inmate (skiing at Chatter Creek right now.....grrrrrr) and maybe buzz down to Denver to bond with my twin. Then scoot back to MTL. Or maybe ship the beast. I've been back and forth to visit the twin so often that the joys of Nebraska corn fields swaying in the breeze has past.
Once again thanks for inspirational story and hope you are enjoying the holidays in sunny CA. We have a snowfall warning today that is always fun. It's less cold and very quiet when clean white stuff is everywhere.
GAP
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #243
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjetter View Post
Love the idea to Yelp for some good places to eat while out cruis'n the country.
Really does save a bunch of time. always good to eat at some of the better places that the locals frequent. This is definitely a good way to do that without driving around aimlessly in search of just any food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #244
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
Julie (AW) and I are mulling over a run from San Diego to Victoria this spring. She was born in LA, grew up in Capistrano Beach until her artist parents decided that it be nice to grow avocados outside of San Diego. Typical life decision. Her dad and one sister now live in Victoria and the other sister lives in San Diego so the obvious choice is to ship the bike to SD and drive up to Vic. Julie flies back and I ride around BC and WA with an inmate (skiing at Chatter Creek right now.....grrrrrr) and maybe buzz down to Denver to bond with my twin. Then scoot back to MTL. Or maybe ship the beast. I've been back and forth to visit the twin so often that the joys of Nebraska corn fields swaying in the breeze has past.
Once again thanks for inspirational story and hope you are enjoying the holidays in sunny CA. We have a snowfall warning today that is always fun. It's less cold and very quiet when clean white stuff is everywhere.
GAP
I'm obviously a bit biased at this point, but I would say to do whatever you can to make it happen. When we moved here we drove cross country and did the last leg up the coast from LA (haven't been south of there yet). There's some great small towns on the way up from there. So long as you have the time, go for it. If you need any info on our ride up the coast (the portion you read about) just let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #245
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,940
Not to change the subject but did she ever consider the lasic surgery for her eyes. I too battled the glasses problem with helmets,especially when dirt riding. I had the surgery a year ago and its the best money I ever spent. Great RR.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #246
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Not to change the subject but did she ever consider the lasic surgery for her eyes. I too battled the glasses problem with helmets,especially when dirt riding. I had the surgery a year ago and its the best money I ever spent. Great RR.
She mentioned it once and I told her to just save that money....I like her better with the glasses on ;)
also, she doesn't know it, but those are special lenses that make me look better. That's why she's still with me.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #247
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
I like her better with the glasses on ;)
Me too!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #248
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I notice your bikes have modified exhaust. Do you ever have issues because of this at the places you stay? I camp a lot, so I'm personally not comfortable with louder exhaust, but even at motels I've had people thank me for leaving my bike quiet.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #249
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Great ride report. I have enjoyed Antihero's report also. Both of you probably have caused Ducati itches for many readers. An old co-worker moved back to his home country of Italy and is a huge Ducati fan. I enjoy following his track days via facebook.

I noticed you also have an FJ. I just bought mine 6 months ago. Another toy that has a passionate following.

Keep up your adventures.
mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #250
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,123
Great RR/thanks for posting!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #251
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,940
Between losing , breaking, and scratching up my lenses, plus throw in the yearly exams and in 5 yrs the surgery will pay for itself,but then I have no eye ins. coverage that covers any of that . Ins. also won't cover the surgery.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #252
Kenisis
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for Sharing your ride report! Lovelly Pics!
Kenisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #253
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I notice your bikes have modified exhaust. Do you ever have issues because of this at the places you stay? I camp a lot, so I'm personally not comfortable with louder exhaust, but even at motels I've had people thank me for leaving my bike quiet.
Vicster, we never had any issues. I can see where it would be a problem if you were camping and/or if you were leaving really early in the morning, but so far, so good. Other than the obvious self satisfaction of the louder exhaust, I appreciate the added safety benefit of when people can't SEE you, they'll definitely HEAR you. Especially beneficial here in CA where lane-splitting is legal. The chances of someone changing lanes right in front of you are a lot less since they hear you coming.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #254
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Loved the RR, lots of detail keeps it interesting. Thanks.
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #255
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonce View Post
Great ride report. I have enjoyed Antihero's report also. Both of you probably have caused Ducati itches for many readers. An old co-worker moved back to his home country of Italy and is a huge Ducati fan. I enjoy following his track days via facebook.

I noticed you also have an FJ. I just bought mine 6 months ago. Another toy that has a passionate following.

Keep up your adventures.
I think, if anything, it shows people that you can just get what you want. We're on the bikes literally all day when we go on these trips and have no issues. Not having so much room to pack is almost a blessing in dies guise because it forces you to take only what you really need. Granted, you'll get a lot more fatigued if you're doing excessively long segments, but if you travel like we do (stopping along the way to enjoy it), you'll be fine.

Love our FJ. We've had it since 2007 and its never had any issues. We have a Ford Raptor on order (mentioned in the RR how we would get something to haul the bikes) so we might end up retiring the FJ soon. We'll see.