Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
It takes a lot of balls to attack someone when they can't respond

Good job!

Miguel
Are you for real? Hopefully that means you are being sarcastic. This was, and still is,a great RR. It's a shame haters have to try and ruin it. Like many others, I enjoy these reports and look forward to the next post. Ignore the haters Gus, and keep the RR going.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #347
openroad98
Newbie Tripmeister

Oddometer: 4
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Anyway...we've had a good year so this years trip will be even better and more "lavish"!!! Which btw, as OPENROAD98 mentioned and requested pics of, we got our transporter (more on this a bit later). And to this guy, notrivia......I hope you drive a prius. I'm gonna need the gas!!!

Very nice transporter, Gus! I've never seen a white Raptor, all the ones around me are silver or black... nice choice of color. Please, consume all the fossil fuel you can find and take that gorgeous truck somewhere with Ducs in tow. Gonna be a good summer, thanks for being awesome and sharing pics of your toys with us! I LOVE the LEDs Ford puts all over their Raptors, those things are bright!

Both your bike and MRSGP1152's have been an inspiration, I'm going to get the wheels and frame powder coated black on my naked bike next fall... Red & black Duc SF on the cheap! :) Until then, Kriega pack and ride the wheels off it this summer. Planning a 6 day ride around lake Superior from Michigan into Canada, going to try your philosophy of 300-400 miles per day and enjoying the scenery more. Might even take the naked bike instead of the FJR on this trip since my buddy will be riding his Honda 919 streetfighter.

Hey, I kinda missed the whole deal with "notrivia", but like everyone said; ignore the haters and keep on riding. Everyone has a style, personal goals, and a way to get there on each ride they take. He could ride a YZ250 with nothing but a loincloth and bedroll across the PanAmerica trail for all I care. Post a R/R and I'll give it a look, just go easy on the pictures! But don't bash anyone else's ride for being different than yours.

AntiHero made a 7 month journey last over 100 pages, and took plenty of people along with him that for various reasons will never make a trip like that. In some ways, you and the Mrs are in a similar position... blessed in ways that allow you take trips and enjoy stops along the way. Keep sharing if you can, and many (like me) will take things away from your journey to use on our own trips... even if it's just a traveling mini curling-iron.

Have a great week!

openroad98 screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 06:12 AM
openroad98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #348
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Good to see that the mods threw out the trash. Carry on with more great RR's. Riding your way in late may.
Thanks Marty, don't forget to let me know when exactly you'll be around. Stephanie and I would both love to meet up with you for lunch or dinner.

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #349
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
Gus, just found this a couple of days ago and finished it last night, absolutely fantastic all around, this is one of those rare ride reports that make you feel all is right with the world.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post.............and keep it coming
Glad you're enjoying it so far. More to come for sure!!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #350
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Gus, disregard this...gentleman. I thought you handled the notrivia posting with class.

Your RR was (and continues to be) one of the better ride reports I've followed. Thoroughly enjoyed every posting of superb pictures, great writing & thoughts, and the experiences you and yours have shared. Thanks.
Thanks Yoyodyne. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The way I travel isn't how others may want to travel, but that's always up to the person. If someone wants to REALLY rough it and camp in the middle of nowhere, that's great. Who am I to criticize what that person chooses to do, right? We might do that with the dirt-bikes sometime soon. Who knows.
Anyway.....we'll keep doing our thing.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #351
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Are you for real? Hopefully that means you are being sarcastic. This was, and still is,a great RR. It's a shame haters have to try and ruin it. Like many others, I enjoy these reports and look forward to the next post. Ignore the haters Gus, and keep the RR going.
Didn't know what to make of it but ultimately it didn't seem like sarcasm.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #352
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad98 View Post
Very nice transporter, Gus! I've never seen a white Raptor, all the ones around me are silver or black... nice choice of color. Please, consume all the fossil fuel you can find and take that gorgeous truck somewhere with Ducs in tow. Gonna be a good summer, thanks for being awesome and sharing pics of your toys with us! I LOVE the LEDs Ford puts all over their Raptors, those things are bright!
You know those lights are DOT mandated because this damn thing is so wide?? Crazy!!

Quote:
Both your bike and MRSGP1152's have been an inspiration, I'm going to get the wheels and frame powder coated black on my naked bike next fall... Red & black Duc SF on the cheap! :) Until then, Kriega pack and ride the wheels off it this summer. Planning a 6 day ride around lake Superior from Michigan into Canada, going to try your philosophy of 300-400 miles per day and enjoying the scenery more. Might even take the naked bike instead of the FJR on this trip since my buddy will be riding his Honda 919 streetfighter.
Do it man. You'll have a great time. We usually keep the mileage around here to around 250 miles a day, but on the east coast you'll tend to cover more ground due to the terrain. Just google map each leg and see how long it says it'll be for that leg and work it backwards. We had some parts along the coast that showed 6 hours for +/- 150 miles. If I had tried to get in 250 miles we would have been racing to get to the next place and would have had to get DRIVE -THRU!! ;-)

Quote:
Hey, I kinda missed the whole deal with "notrivia", but like everyone said; ignore the haters and keep on riding. Everyone has a style, personal goals, and a way to get there on each ride they take. He could ride a YZ250 with nothing but a loincloth and bedroll across the PanAmerica trail for all I care. Post a R/R and I'll give it a look, just go easy on the pictures! But don't bash anyone else's ride for being different than yours.
Exactly!! To each his/her own

Quote:
AntiHero made a 7 month journey last over 100 pages, and took plenty of people along with him that for various reasons will never make a trip like that. In some ways, you and the Mrs are in a similar position... blessed in ways that allow you take trips and enjoy stops along the way. Keep sharing if you can, and many (like me) will take things away from your journey to use on our own trips... even if it's just a traveling mini curling-iron.

Have a great week!
Don't forget the hair-dryer!!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #353
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I want to thank everyone for the kind words. As has been mentioned above both by me and others, everyone has their own way of doing things. What works for one, doesn't for others. The idea of traveling via motorcycle is appealing to all of us here, but to some the thought of taking something with 2 wheels on a 3,000 mile road trip is crazy.....to them.

Anyway, for a long time I lurked on this site and read all the ride reports. I was always glad to read about someone else's good fortune and never felt any envy or disdain for someone showing the good experiences they had or the equipment they acquired for what they wanted to accomplish. On the contrary. I got a lot of valuable information that helped in our own travels. When we started taking our own trips I figure maybe people would get something out of or appreciate our experiences. whether it be a trip we take or a truck we buy, I share with everyone here just the same as I would share with any of my friends.

In the end, we're all here either sharing or living vicariously thru everyone else's experiences. That's what a forum like this is all about.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #354
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Guess they deleted the guys post (and actually banned him ).
I really wouldn't have cared if they left it. I think you guys would have been harder on the guy than I would have been (which btw I appreciate you guys chiming in there).

Really? Harder on him? This is not a fight. Its about opinions? Lets face it, Notrivia had a valid opinion.

Funny, for someone who has a motorcycle, computer and even electricity (which I'm sure even HE would agree is considered a "luxury" to the people he seemed to be championing for in the post) this guy was awfully critical.

Even HE...? What does this mean?

So, when does having electricity and a motorcycle and a computer come across are luxury items? Is that you being critical too?

Couldn't he make a jacket out of tree-bark and maybe ride in home-made sandals?

That was just wrong and elitist.

I don't think he NEEDS any of what he's spent his money on to survive and has it because he WANTS it and has the means?

So, this is your opinion? You don't really know. But Notrivia can't rebut because he was banned.

Everyone has their own idea of what "lavish" is... We're not rich. We work hard for what we have and spend it however we choose.

Thats great! I think that you should live your life as you see appropriate. Everyone needs to find their peace. And place. Everyone.

If he wants to save $3 (at the Laundromat) and go thru the trouble of washing his clothes by hand, that's his problem. To me, that's ridiculous. He can sit around the campfire and wait for that to dry. We'll be off and on our way to the next great place.

I also think that others should be able to live their life as they see appropriate. There is nothing wrong for an adventure rider to wash their clothes in a plastic bag with Simple Green and rung out to dry. Just as Notrivia had so eloquently written.

(and for those of you that didnt get to read what Notrivia posted. You are really missing out on some amazing writing. Obviously a well versed and educated human being.)

Anyway...we've had a good year so this years trip will be even better and more "lavish"!!! And to this guy, notrivia......I hope you drive a prius. I'm gonna need the gas!!!
And this is because you bought a FORD Raptor that requires more fuel that the average vehicle? What was the point of this comment? Not necessary. Designed to infuriate.

Quote:
I'm done with the whole thing. He said his peace, I said mine.
Others felt it warranted reporting him and did.
I didn't care if it stayed either way. His rebuttal would have been more than welcomed.
You mean, he said his "piece"?

It is good to hear that you would be willing to have his post back online. It would be good for the others to form THEIR OWN opinions. It should be reposted.

In closing, Notrivia appears to be what most of us would consider an ADV Rider. And I am sure that when you see him and his bike sporting the ADV decal there is no question that he portrays what he actually is.

"So, this is touring 'A La Modernity?... " quoted from Notrivia

I admire your motorcycle(s). They are truly beautiful machines. And as mentioned, some of your pictures are crisp and beautiful.

Ride on!

Miguel

Cafe Racer screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:39 PM
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #355
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,094
Time to let it go/no room for the trash that he wrote. Hope I spelled everything correctly.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #356
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Time to let it go/no room for the trash that he wrote. Hope I spelled everything correctly.
My thoughts exactly!!
Although, excellent point. I misspelled the "peace". Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #357
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Thank you sir. Will update a bit later. Sorry I haven't gotten around to it. We've been busy doing some of this too:

Looks like Titus Canyon, but I could be wrong...........Death Valley, my favorite place to ride but.........I'm really enjoying riding in Nevada as well.

I'm glad to see you and your wife each have your own bikes, and what great looking bikes they are. I love to see women joining in on all the fun. Wish more would.

My wife has ridden with me our entire marriage and rode off road with me and our two children for over 17 years. Riding is a great couple and family activity. My children grew up on their own motorcycles. My daughters last dirt bike was a Yamaha YZ250F and her last street bike was a Suzuki GSXR600R. My son and I ride KTM 500EXC's for the dual sport fun we enjoy.

Looking forward to reading about your "dual sport" adventures as well as your street rides.

Thanks for the tip on your good experience in Cambria. My wife and I will be riding there in a few weeks so we will spend the night there and try to get that room 210.

Keep up the reporting and great photo's.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #358
mcjetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Terra?

Is that the new Husquvarna Terra? Would really like to hear your thoughts about the bike and maybe your perspective on how it compares to other dual sporters
mcjetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #359
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Looks like Titus Canyon, but I could be wrong...........Death Valley, my favorite place to ride but.........I'm really enjoying riding in Nevada as well.

I'm glad to see you and your wife each have your own bikes, and what great looking bikes they are. I love to see women joining in on all the fun. Wish more would.

My wife has ridden with me our entire marriage and rode off road with me and our two children for over 17 years. Riding is a great couple and family activity. My children grew up on their own motorcycles. My daughters last dirt bike was a Yamaha YZ250F and her last street bike was a Suzuki GSXR600R. My son and I ride KTM 500EXC's for the dual sport fun we enjoy.

Looking forward to reading about your "dual sport" adventures as well as your street rides.

Thanks for the tip on your good experience in Cambria. My wife and I will be riding there in a few weeks so we will spend the night there and try to get that room 210.

Keep up the reporting and great photo's.

Man those KTM 350 & 500 EXC's are some BAD-ASS!! I know enough to know that those are about the best you can get in that category!!! Congrats!! If money wouldn't have been a factor thats' what I would have gotten. I just couldn't justify that as my first dual-sport bike. I ended up finding a REALLY good deal on a Husqvarna 310te, which is no slouch I guess. I was able to find a leftover 2012 and paid (OTD) what I would have paid for a Yamaha WR250r. The husky had a high enough seat height that was a better fit for me than anything else I saw. I could have found something used, but it seemed anything that wouldn't be too small for me was far away. Add the shipping to it and you're right back to where a new one would cost. I'm really happy with the husky.

You're right about where that was, in Titus Canyon. I'll write a bit more about our trip there in the next few days I hope. It was our second time there in a month and third time in the last 6 months. Love that place. One could easily spend 2 weeks there and not see everything. So far one of my favorite places I've ever been to, here in the States or overseas. Can't wait to go there in the Raptor.

That's really great that you're whole family is involved with motorcycle. It makes the experience that much better when you can all do it together. And so much better to be able to combine the time you spend with them along with the time you spend on a hobby or past-time.

Glad you guys are heading over to Cambria and checking out that same place (and room). You guys will like it. The restaurant I mention down the street was pretty good too. Be sure to check back in and let me know how it went.

Safe travels!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #360
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjetter View Post
Is that the new Husquvarna Terra? Would really like to hear your thoughts about the bike and maybe your perspective on how it compares to other dual sporters
It's actually a Husqvarna 310te. Really liking it so far