Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #106
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,333
what a gorgeous ride! ........and the bikes aren't bad either.

leaving on Sunday for a 5k ride on the STR. you guys & anti-hero have inspired me to quit bitchin and git 'er dun! thanks!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #107
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
what a gorgeous ride! ........and the bikes aren't bad either.

leaving on Sunday for a 5k ride on the STR. you guys & anti-hero have inspired me to quit bitchin and git 'er dun! thanks!
seriously man, follow my advice and stop every 50 miles. Even if you're doing 300 miles a day, that's 5 stops (not including the last leg obviously). If you're riding all day and stop 2 times for food then you've only stopped 3 times for the sake of stopping and getting off the bike. Trust me it makes the trip THAT much more enjoyable. This way you can take in the ride without worrying so much about covering more ground. Your goal of 50 miles is right around the corner.

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #108
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next morning found me still feeling not so great, but better. Stephanie, not wanting to miss out on her free breakfast, went to the breakfast room and loaded up a tray and brought food to the room. No complaints here. Breakfast in bed?? SURE!!! We took our time with breakfast and eventually started getting ready. Today's ride wasn't that long so we had time. While loading the bags on the bikes I saw a lady with her kids whom I recognized from the Snaffle-Bit. She commented on how nice it must be to travel on the bikes and we started talking about where we had been. When I told her we were headed to Bend she said that's where they were from and were headed today. Because there was a chance we would pass them multiple times today, I apologized in advanced :) She said no problem and that she understood…..that she also wouldn't want to be behind some car or van if she was on a motorcycle.

Outside it was right around 70 degrees and sunny. All loaded up, we headed out, stopped for gas down the street and were on our way. I had heard good things about John Day Fossil beds national Monument and decided we would stop there for a look. Good thing we did. It's only 40 miles away and on our route so there we headed. We stopped at an overlook just before you get into the actual park/monument (HERE). We were the only ones there when we got there. It's still incredible to me to see these places. As I've mentioned, I'm from Florida (Miami). Florida is flat as a pancake and the only expanse you ever see there is the ocean, which is great, but it's as flat as the rest of the terrain there. To stand up on this overlook and see this is REALLY nice:

We were there for a bit and as we were leaving an elderly couple showed up. Other than that, nobody was around.
I'll explain this next picture: Stephanie saw these "goats" on the short road that led up to the overlook. One the way back down she wanted to stop in to take a look. She gets off the bike and walks gingerly towards them. I told her this wasn't a good idea because here she was, in all black with a helmet on. Not the most friendly looking thing to an animal I would think. Plus, this thing had HORNS and could be on her in a second. As she's walking over I finally told her to turn around and come back. Again, just not a good idea. She's the nurse, not me!!

After Stephanie was done playing handler, we drove into Fossil-Beds. Is this nice or what??

Modern day cowboy I guess….Yeehaw??

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 12:01 PM
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #109
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We reached the visitor center, which is a substantial sized building. Turns out they actually do real work there:

(the view thru the glass in the lobby)

Actual archeologist at work. Tv screen is hooked up to her microscope so you see what she sees. Difference is, I have no idea what to look for. She could be inspecting her lunch for all I know.

It's has several museum exhibits:

We came, we saw.....and we needed food. The next town, Mitchell, OR, is about 30 miles away. Again we consulted Yelp and found a small cafe there that would do the job. leaving Fossil Beds was the equivalent of showing a glass of water to a man dying of thirst. The roads were beautiful, winding roads….that had recently been paved. Sounds great?? Not quite. The roads had gravel all over them, which meant ultra slow speeds. It even made taking in the scenery at these slow speeds difficult to enjoy. About 12 miles down the road the newly constructed road ended and we were able to get going.

We arrived in Mitchell, a two-block long town, and found there was some sort of Street Fair going on there. The cafe we were going to was on the main road and this festival was on a road a block in off of that. I figured we'd head in to see what was going on and what I found was practically a Harley convention. Needless to say I drove right thru and went back towards the cafe……which was now CLOSED!!! The next town was 47 miles away and would have a better selection. At the rate we were going we'd be there pretty soon, so I conferred with Stephanie and she also thought it a good idea to just push to the next town.

When you're hungry even 47 miles can seem like a long way and I found myself looking down at the GPS, counting down the miles. As we pulled into town we stopped for gas. As we were filling up a fire-department's paramedic truck pulled up with the guys getting out to admire the bikes. They asked us about the ride and I asked one guy, who seemed to know about the bikes, if he rode. He said he had recently sold an R6 and that his EX-girlfriend that modeled for Ducati, rode an 848 (I refrained from asking him why he was no longer with her since this sounded like a pretty good gig). We asked them about food and they mentioned a place called "Dillons", a place we had also seen on Yelp. So off we went. They gave us directions that turned out to be wrong, but it didn't matter. I make it a habit of using the GPS for pretty much everything. I like to take the guess work out of this and just enjoy the trip. What good is having Garmina as an assistant if I can't trust her with my lunch reservations anyway??

As I've mentioned, I'm a pretty healthy eater, but since I haven't been feeling that great I'm eating whatever I actually crave. Dillons has good burgers apparently so that's what I ordered. I ordered the Chili also, but that tasted to me like Hormel canned chili. Definitely not homemade. Stephanie got the salad bar, which she loves. She's an extremist so anything she can get and max out, she likes (like the free breakfast). Overall, decent meal.
We headed out, but not before I spent 5 minutes inside looking for my phone, which had been right in front of me a moment before. I go outside to where Stephanie already was and asked her if she knew where my phone was. "oh yeah, I have it right here!!". Ugghhhhh!!! "why would you take…….". Whatever, let's go.
Next stop….the Fairfield Inn in Bend, just 36 miles away.
The ride there was uneventful. Garmina took us to the hotel, which is just off HWY-97. We parked the bikes and checked in. We try and stay at these or the Springhill Suites whenever we can. They're all pretty new, clean and usually have a separate seating area, which is a big plus for me.

Good parking again:

Back in the room I turned on the Michigan/Alabama football game. it was nice to sit back and relax for a bit as Stephanie did her bath and blow-dry thing. (of note….she broke their hair-dryer…..go figure. I told you she's a beast).

Dinner time came and since there was no chance we were going to lose the spots we had, we headed out to dinner on BOTH bikes this time. (As a side note, we don't go out in riding gear to eat. These places are all within a mile of where we are and are in regular clothes). We were in Bend last year and had eaten at a sushi place that I really liked called 5 Fusion & Sushi Bar. It's only .07 miles away so I figured, why not? The place has a cool atmosphere and the food had been pretty good. They have this cool water-tank of sorts that hangs from the roof and stretches the length of the restaurant. I see it and instantly feel sorry for whoever gets to clean it. (not my images. found these on google images)

We sat at the table that looked out the front of the restaurant and the bikes which were parked right out in front. It's always interesting to see the people that drool over the bikes. I always just hope you don't get some drunk guy that wants to sit on one of them. Our food was good and the server, a lady whom I'm pretty sure is the one that helped us the last time, was very nice. I wanted to get back to the hotel to get some rest so we didn't stay too long. Got back to the hotel and called it a day. Another good one at that…….

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 05:14 PM
Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #110
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Man, how did I forget?? When we got into Bend we made a short trip to wash the now extremely filthy bikes.
Doesn't it make you feel better just looking at them clean?? Works for me!! :)

Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #111
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
There is no way a guy who keeps his garage that clean...

oh nevermind...rockin!
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #112
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
There is no way a guy who keeps his garage that clean...

oh nevermind...rockin!
haha....thanks. I think

Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #113
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Thanks for the Ride Report, very much enjoying it. I like the "run what you brung" aspect of it especially. A fine example of how one can tour on virtually any bike if you take the time to actually soak in the areas you're riding through.
A couple caveats though for any adv'ers contemplating the Hiway 20/Winthrop ride: Don't ride the Winthrop area at dusk or later as deer on the road are a major issue. As in the hiway department keeps a scoreboard issue. Also one motorist organization (motorist.org?) recently proclaimed Winthrop as the worst small town speed trap in America, so pay attention, or pay the fines...
The Fairfield in Bend is one of my favorites too.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #114
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 190
Ps... More pictures of the blonde, less of you. No offense, of course

The only reason I'm following this thread is because of the blond.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #115
Trek68
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Enjoying the RR. As others have stated, nice to see a street bike adventure.
Trek68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #116
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Thanks for the Ride Report, very much enjoying it. I like the "run what you brung" aspect of it especially. A fine example of how one can tour on virtually any bike if you take the time to actually soak in the areas you're riding through.
A couple caveats though for any adv'ers contemplating the Hiway 20/Winthrop ride: Don't ride the Winthrop area at dusk or later as deer on the road are a major issue. As in the hiway department keeps a scoreboard issue. Also one motorist organization (motorist.org?) recently proclaimed Winthrop as the worst small town speed trap in America, so pay attention, or pay the fines...
The Fairfield in Bend is one of my favorites too.
Yeah I thought that old Trans-Am with the dummy cop in it (at the town entrance) was pretty funny. Wish I had stopped to take a picture of that. Perhaps that's their way of warning people?? lol

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #117
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Cool, you rode right past our beach house. Our place is in between twin rocks and Rockaway hidden in the UNDEVELOPED trees.
Next time you ride through, pm me and I can hook you guys up into catching your own salmon. You should never ever have to pay for salmon around these parts.

Ps... More pictures of the blonde, less of you. No offense, of course

Great pics btw, beautiful bikes. My wife is a hotel camper too. She always says that she is not a four letter girl: camp, fish, hike, hunt, dirt, bike... She's an indoor cat, eastmoreland gal.
Will definitely check in the next time we come through.

How can there be less pics of me??? There's hardly any there to begin with!! LOL you never have to worry about that with me. I prefer to be behind the camera, not in front of it!!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #118
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Great RR GP & blondie!

Love the bikes, that SF is dreamy.
So nice you have a partner to share the fun with.
Also bonus with healthcare and she's easy on the eyes. ;)

Good days ride, good food, good peeps & a great wingman. All wins!
Adventure is even better when shared. With Stef, and all of us.

Thanks for posting.
Dave

mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #119
prooney377
Pete Rooney

Oddometer: 46
Hi from the UK

Enjoying the RR very much thanks. Our summer has been a bit of a wash out so good looking at pictures taken in the sun shine. Amazing Dukes BTW. Yours suits the termi's. Must sound awesome. Subscribed.
prooney377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #120
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Great RR GP & blondie!

Love the bikes, that SF is dreamy.
So nice you have a partner to share the fun with.
Also bonus with healthcare and she's easy on the eyes. ;)

Good days ride, good food, good peeps & a great wingman. All wins!
Adventure is even better when shared. With Stef, and all of us.

Thanks for posting.
Dave

It really is great. As I've mentioned here before, I consider myself to be very lucky for all the reasons you mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by prooney377 View Post
Enjoying the RR very much thanks. Our summer has been a bit of a wash out so good looking at pictures taken in the sun shine. Amazing Dukes BTW. Yours suits the termi's. Must sound awesome. Subscribed.
Thanks Proony. The SF is pretty loud. Along the Oregon coast we came upon one of the many construction stops along the way and the guy with the stop/slow sign says to me, "man, that thing is as loud as a Harley".
It's good and bad. When I come into some of these little towns I try and just idle by so as to not call too much attention to the bikes (Good luck with that, I know). I have insurance for the bikes, I don't have insurance for the experience it'll ruin if someone decides they want to make it theirs.