User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #121
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Bend, OR:

The end of the trip is drawing near. Just a few days left and we'd be home. Today we'd head off towards Klammath Falls, CA. Up first and along the way though was Crater Lake, a place we both had wanted to visit.
We left the Fairfield Inn and headed for gas. Stephanie is a little less gung-ho about getting gas so often…..she forgets the times we (she) have almost run out and have had to draft our way to the next gas station (on previous trips). It takes a couple of minutes so really rather be safe than sorry. (Thought this was interesting to see at a gas-station-plaza:)

Riding down HWY-97 isn't the greatest, but at least we wouldn't be on it for long. After leaving Bend, the turn-off to Crater lake is about 75 miles away. With a stop for gas in between (because there's no gas up around Crater Lake), it'll be fine. Once we made the turn for crater lake I realized that we didn't have cash for the entrance fee. We had talked about stopping at an ATM, but completely forgot. Oh well, we figure they must take credit cards. I couldn't imagine they'd turn you away and figured that at a minimum they'd have you pay at the visitor center or something.
At the gate we found a bit of a line and on the opposite, exit side, someone that had been pulled over by the park police. A Canadian at that. Ha!!! payback for the ticket I got there in Victoria!!!

Pulling up to Crater Lake one realizes that this too is one of this instances that a camera and pictures can't do it justice. It's immense and the color of the water is a deep ocean blue. Makes sense I guess since Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States.

It was memorial day weekend and the area was pretty crowded. Among the crowd up here at this overlook where we were hanging out was a big group of Harley's. They were friendly enough, coming over to ask about the bikes and our trip. I thought Harley people were supposed to be tough?? Look at what one of them was hauling:

There were also a bunch of these running around. Little bastards are quick!!!

After taking in the view for a bit (and staying out of the way of all the other tourists), we headed up for the lodge where we had planned to get lunch. I pulled into where I thought was the lodge and restaurant only to find that this was just the gift shop and cafe/cafeteria. It actually worked out because the food they said was the same as what we'd find at the lodge at that time. . We scored a good parking spot and an equally goof table that overlooked where the bikes we parked (our spot was the closest one to the seating area where we'd be eating). I grabbed a table while Stephanie went inside to see what there was for food. While I looked out at the bikes I see this moron come and wedge his bike into the spot where our 2 bikes were already parked. To me, this was just plain bad bike etiquette. I walked over and asked the guy, who was off the bike and looking around it as though something was wrong with it, if he was ok since he had to rush into this spot that already had 2 bikes. He said he was leaking some fluid. Sorry man, but even more reason to find your own spot. Again, just poor bike etiquette.
I rolled my bike back since he was literally 3 inches away from it and walked back to go eat. Stephanie appeared with a sandwich and some pasta salad. The food was pre-made and not the best, but decent. Whatever, it worked. Watching all the people come in and out we concluded that this place was basically printing money. It was pretty packed. Probably the reason I was dying to get out of there.
I didn't even look at the idiot that parked next to us and was still tinkering with his bike. We geared up, got on the bikes and drove off. It was something like 12-15 miles to the park exit and about 35 miles back to HWY-97.
Tonight we'd be staying in Klammath Falls at a Holiday Inn Express. Wev've stayed at these plenty of times and this one looked like a decent place to stay. Holiday Inn has done a pretty good job with these places and they compare pretty well with the Fairfield inn's and Springhill suites. PLUS, it looked like there were food options within walking distance.

Short stop on way to hotel:

When we rode thru this area (Klammath) last year I ended up having to remove what seemed like a few POUNDS of bugs off the car windshield and front bumper. This year seemed just as bad. Arriving at the hotel I saw the aftermath. Was pretty ugly. The hotel itself turned out to be a good pick. Looked fairly new or at least renovated and the room was one of the larger rooms we've had this trip. Surprisingly enough, The bathroom, with the exception of the one in the Grand Hyatt Seattle, was probably the nicest one. Good find once again. Thought this was a good idea:

Lunch was pretty light at Crater Lake so we were both ready for a real meal. And what better fine dining than the SIZZLER that shared the parking lot with our hotel. Stephanie suggested it so of course, there must be an all you can eat salad bar!!
So, we have a tendency to bring in customers to a place after we get there. I don't know what it is, but it's gotten to the point where we joke about being the angels of business (Don't worry, I'm not delusional and am sure it's just sheer coincidence). We get to a place that's completely empty and within 10 minutes there's a line of people waiting. We walk into this Sizzler and even though it's around 8 PM, we wondered if it was even open. We walked right up to the cashier and she has to wait for us a second so we could look at the menu. We both ordered chicken breast and of course, especially Stephanie, the salad bar. I hadn't been to a sizzler in years and the food was pretty goods. The server was an energetic girl of probably 19 or 20 years old. We saw that some other people left some pretty crappy tips and made sure to make it up to her when we left to the hotel. First though, we needed cash for the washers and dryers they had at the hotel. There was a rite aid across the street, so we figured we'd get a few necessities and get cash-back at the register. We got what we needed, but they were about to close and couldn't give us cash. we go back across the street to the gas station and they don't do cash back. This is where I saw Jesus………for sale:

No cash at the gas station, so Safeway it is. We got our cash and headed back to the hotel. Back by the hotel entrance, where our bikes were parked, we met a guy that was traveling on his new harley cruiser with his wife. Really nice guy. We chatted a bit then headed back up to our room to get the few items that needed to be washed. After finishing up with that later and after I finished off some leftovers from Sizzler, it was time for bed. Tomorrow we'd make our way to Chester, CA, near Lake Almanor. Sadly this would be our last stop before heading home.

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #122
prooney377
Pete Rooney

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
It really is great. As I've mentioned here before, I consider myself to be very lucky for all the reasons you mention

Thanks Proony. The SF is pretty loud. Along the Oregon coast we came upon one of the many construction stops along the way and the guy with the stop/slow sign says to me, "man, that thing is as loud as a Harley".
It's good and bad. When I come into some of these little towns I try and just idle by so as to not call too much attention to the bikes (Good luck with that, I know). I have insurance for the bikes, I don't have insurance for the experience it'll ruin if someone decides they want to make it theirs.
You get ass holes everywhere. I work hard to afford to keep my bike, as i am sure you do too. The last thing you want or need is for some 'no mark' (British slang for a bum) to decide that if you can afford the bike you can afford the insurance to replace it. Anyway, all that aside, I hope the rest of your trip is as good as the first part has been. Keep the pictures coming

Cheers

Pete
prooney377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #123
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prooney377 View Post
You get ass holes everywhere. I work hard to afford to keep my bike, as i am sure you do too. The last thing you want or need is for some 'no mark' (British slang for a bum) to decide that if you can afford the bike you can afford the insurance to replace it. Anyway, all that aside, I hope the rest of your trip is as good as the first part has been. Keep the pictures coming

Cheers

Pete
That's exactly right Pete. No matter what, we always lock the bikes to each other. I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't take the 10 seconds it takes to do it and something did actually happen.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #124
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 966
Quote:

Excellent shot, sweet rides, great trip & RR.
Thanks, for sharing.

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #125
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Yeah I thought that old Trans-Am with the dummy cop in it (at the town entrance) was pretty funny. Wish I had stopped to take a picture of that. Perhaps that's their way of warning people?? lol
Ya know, that thing has been there a long time, and for some reason just creeps me out. I always wonder if they've got a speed camera in there and will just mail the tickets to the tourists.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #126
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Ya know, that thing has been there a long time, and for some reason just creeps me out. I always wonder if they've got a speed camera in there and will just mail the tickets to the tourists.
lol, from the sounds of it I wouldn't put it past them!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #127
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't really use it but If I get enough followers on there, I can start posting stuff on twitter @GP1152_SF
If you subscribe to this thread maybe you'll enjoy that as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #128
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Klamath to Chester, CA
Waking up this morning I was better, but still not feeling great. Seems this thing is lingering. We wake up an settle into our now all-familiar process of (free, stephanie approved) breakfast, pack, ride.
At breakfast I see this thing. The sign on it says it makes 2 pancakes "in about a minute". Man one of these along with those orange juicers that you just drop the oranges into whole and you're all set!!!

We finished the task of packing our small bags and were off once again. Today we head for Chester, CA with a stop along the way at Lava Beds National Monument.
Our route would through some farm-dotted land with our first stop being the small town of Merrill, OR for gas. While there we saw another car that had white dust caked all over it. We had seen a crapload of cars in similar shape asked the attendant there (since they have gas station attendants in Oregon...more on that in a second) what that was all about. She told us it was for the Burning Man festival. Of course. Now it made sense.

So, about these attendants: I remember being in Oregon a few years back. It was my first time there and it struck me as odd that you HAD to have someone else pump your fuel for you. AND if you tried to do it yourself it was perceived in the same manner as holding up the gas station at gunpoint would be. I'm pretty careful when filling up the bikes with those ridiculous, super non-motorcycle friendly, spring-loaded, "environmentally sound" gas dispensers, so before the trip I wondered what problems I might have with someone else doing this for me. As it turns out you don't HAVE to let them fill it for you if you're on a motorcycle or a driving a commercial vehicle AND to sweeten the deal they DON'T have those ridiculous tree-hugger inspired dispensers. I'm happy with this arrangement and also happy with having at least a little higher octane gas than what the tree huggers in CA make available to us. But alas there is one quirk....some of the gas stations, perhaps because the attendants are usually the ones manning the pumps, require the attendant be the one that runs the credit card. This doesn't bother me so much. The attendant can EAT the fu#^ing card for all I care. Just don't touch the bike!!! :)

So where was I? Oh yeah, farmland and dusty cars. After we filled up the bikes (ourselves), we continued in towards Lava Beds. The ride up to now was average but shortly thereafter, as we got closer to Lava beds, got better. We got to the park entrance to find an empty gatehouse with a sign that said to pay your fee at the visitor center. I wonder how much money they lose with this.

The park itself is like being on another planet. getting to the overlooks and seeing the black lava-rock is pretty impressive.

Love this shot. My 2 loves (although Stephanie says she wonders who comes first…. no contest, right?)

She knows I'm not crazy about it, but every once in a while she makes me stand in front of the camera

After a few of these stops we made our way to the visitor center. Inside they had the usual exhibits and such. They also collect for the park entrance fee here. They MUST lose money on this because had I not walked up and asked to pay our fee it would have been a freebie. Nice to see the honor system in play, just hope people don't take too much advantage of it. These places are great to visit and I don't mind handing over the entrance fee for the 2 bikes, which I believe was $5 each. Hope others do the same. It's a small price to pay to keep the National Parks/monuments going. At the visitor center can also get a map or take a tour of one of the more than 700 caves that are in Lava Beds. We didn't have the time, nor were we exactly dressed for the occasion. I also don't know where we would have left all our stuff. On the plus side, when the ranger told us about the tours she mentioned that they provide the helmet and flashlight. When she told us of the BATS in the cave I said that if I did go in there it would be with my own helmet on, with the face shield CLOSED. Nah, I'm sure it would be alright…....I think. We'll definitely be back here to explore a bit more though. We hung around and saw the video presentation before we left. After all, they did have AC. Check out that WIDESCREEN TV (maybe a lot of people AREN'T paying!!):

Time to go. Walking out I saw this in one of the unmarked park-ranger's trucks.

Again, time to get moving. On the drive out of the park some asshole actually decides to pass us. The guy must have been doing over 70 in the park. We're not exactly light on the throttle, but come on man!!! In the park???? The temperature had reached up into the 90's so about 40 miles down the road we stopped for gas at another one of these small town gas stations that sell everything from CD's to tackle to AMMO. A lot of these places seem more like (and probably are) the town center. We were getting hungry and saw that our next stop for food would likely be in Susanville, which was 67 miles away. Shouldn't be too long.

About 25 miles from Susanville we came up on Eagle lake. We pulled over to the side of the road and walked over to the water. It's been pretty dry around these parts, evidenced by the waterline which looks like it used to be at least 100 yards further back.

Nice to spend this time with Stephanie:

The first place we had picked out on yelp turned out to be closed for the day. The next place we found was a Chinese place called "young sing". Apparently established in 1991, yet stuck somewhere in the 70's (right down to the Asian owners afro). Really though, the service was good and the food hit the spot. I love places like this. These are the ones you remember. It must be a popular place because although there seemed to be nobody around town, this place had it's fair share of customers showing up (come to think of it, they all showed up after we got there….could it be?? ……nah…!!). One of the customers walked out after finishing and approached our bikes. I really thought I was going to have to run out in my socks (sorry, had the damn boots on all day) because he looked like he was about to swing a leg over Stephanie's bike and try it on for size. Luckily he didn't and moved on. We left there with bellies full and continued on to our final destination for the day, Chester, CA. What is it with the names of these places??

It was late in the afternoon and the sun was making it's descent. As we were leaving the restaurant one of the waitresses cautioned us to keep an eye out for deer. With this in mind and after seeing all the signs for Deer, we tried to be a little more cautious than usual. Fine by me. It was a beautiful day out and we weren't very far.

It was around 6:30 when we made our way into Chester, CA, a small town that is situated just along Lake Almanor. Population 2,144. Approaching town we crossed a bridge that gives you a good view of the lake and unfortunately in the distance, the fires that have been blazing in this area for some time now. One of the advantages I've always thought about NOT hitting the road so early is that we get to ride at this time, my favorite time of the day. we rolled thru town slowly and even then, within 30 seconds we were almost halfway through town and to our hotel, the Best Western.

Good Parking again:

I went inside to check in and waited behind 2 other people checking in. As I was standing there a man came in to ask the front desk clerk a question. He spoke broken english and had what I figured was a german accent. Having trouble communicating, the man that was checking in starting speaking to the man in German and translated for the clerk. I thought this was an amazing coincidence that in Chester there would be 2 people that spoke German. Later I would hear others speaking German and figured there must be a group of sorts meeting here. When it was my turn I tried for the usual room upgrade. The clerk was going to give it to us but then saw that the room he would have given us was already sold for the night. Oh well. He also mentioned they were almost sold out due mainly to all the firefighters that are here from out of town to help with the fires. We would later meet one of the firefighters that was staying across the hall. He had come all the way from Florida. The room in this Best Western was ok, but definitely wasn't going to beat out any of the others we had stayed at. Can't get too choosy here though. This presumably is the nicest non-B&B in town. The B&B's looked a little too homey for my liking. The bathroom wasn't going to win any awards either. It had a weird setup, almost like a big hospital bathroom. It was clean at least. And what do you know?? this room came with a "flat" screen too!! Ha!!! And you guys thought we weren't roughing it!!!:

It was time for dinner so we got ready and walked right next door to the 50's style diner called the Cotton Candy Diner. Had we been able to climb out our window we would have fallen on the restaurant. It was literally right outside our window.

Walking out the front of the hotel and past the sign outside the diner that says "Wacky Taco Wednesday", you walk in and find this:

Not to be overly critical, but I swear the guys bussing MIGHT be mental ward patients. If so, I'm really glad they can work and all, but I felt like I was in "one flew over the cookoos nest"!! I kid (kind of, because they really did look like they could have come from the ward), but in truth the experience here WAS a good one. Shockingly, I ordered a "'59 bel air" sandwhich, which consisted of turkey, avocado, provolone cheese (and a few other things i cant remember now) and it was REALLY good. The waitress, who was older and looked exhausted, was very nice. The restaurant as per the front desk attendant at the hotel, has been here since he was a kid and the waitress, since it opened. It has an interesting collection of artifacts:

At dinner we saw there was a table of 6 fireman that had finished up for the day and look alike they got more than they bargained for that day from the fires. Guess they had been there long enough to become locals. The guy we had met at the hotel said he had been there over a month if that gives you any idea. Anyway, we finished up dinner and made our way to the hotel, only stopping to take this picture. Incredible how old these things look when you actually come across one these days. Time for bed:

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 05:56 PM
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #129
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
We had to stop in Benton, Ca. for gas where my Grand kids saw their first working enclosed phone booth !! They went totally Ape S***t over it. Took a bunch of pictures and checked their cell phones every 5 miles waiting to get coverage so they could post it on Facebook.
First operational phone booth either of them had ever seen....the boy is 17 and the "little" girl is 13.
BTW, she struck the same pose as Stephanie in the above photo........

I'm feeling much older...........

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN

AirDrive screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 12:55 PM
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #130
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
We had to stop in Benton, Ca. for gas where my Grand kids saw their first working enclosed phone booth !! They went totally Ape S***t over it. Took a bunch of pictures and checked their cell phones every 5 miles waiting to get coverage so they could post it on Facebook.
First operational phone booth either of them had ever seen....the boy is 17 and the "little" girl is 13.
BTW, she struck the same pose as Stephanie in the above photo........

I'm feeling much older...........
I'm with you. I remember actually USING pay-phones. Even then it's incredible that even to me they look like ancient relics.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #131
Brent T
Namibia orange GS...

Oddometer: 31
Great report!

This is inspiring me to buy a SF. I actually went to the local dealership this afternoon and I'm thinking an SF is going to be an addition to my small stable. Great writing, photos and route. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #132
MrPickle
NP Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 601
I looked above and didn't see that you mentioned it....what camera/hardware are you using? Those pictures just look really really phenomenal....are you doing any post processing before posting?

Ride safe!
Ethan
Albuquerque, NM

MrPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #133
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent T View Post
This is inspiring me to buy a SF. I actually went to the local dealership this afternoon and I'm thinking an SF is going to be an addition to my small stable. Great writing, photos and route. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Man I think Ducati should be paying me for this RR!! ;)
Really glad you're enjoying the writeup. I appreciate the feedback and knowing that people are getting something out of it (or soon to be losing money in your case).
I'm obviously biased, but the SF has been great. I do have the comfort seat, but in my opinion it looks better than the stock seat anyway so there's no sacrifice in aesthetics. I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #134
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,210
Laugh

Livin' the dream baby...

Thanks for sharing! Nice to have a cool ass riding partner like her I bet..
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #135
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickle View Post
I looked above and didn't see that you mentioned it....what camera/hardware are you using? Those pictures just look really really phenomenal....are you doing any post processing before posting?

Ride safe!
Ethan
Albuquerque, NM
I mentioned it earlier but don't remember where. No problem though.
I'm using a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon AF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens. Stephanie is carrying a Nikon D5100 with a Nikon AF-S 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 lens. The D5100 shares the same sensor as the D7000 but lacks some of the other features of the D7000 (which aren't really necessary for what we're doing on this trip anyway).
As far as post processing, there isn't a whole lot that I do to the images (save for a few here and there). For the most part I might boost the contrast or saturation a bit, but I have those settings set pretty high in the camera's settings to begin with. The only things I do tinker with a bit is adjusting the highlights and shadows in some of the pics (and maybe more saturation especially for mid afternoon pictures that have dull, noon sunlight). Believe it or not, during the trip I did this ALL on my iPhone using Photogene2, which also let me upload directly (and in batches) to Dropbox where I host the images. At home I use a Mac and Aperture for all things photo. I have photogene for the ipad, but it's the original version (doesn't really make sense to me, but there's no photogene2 for the ipad). I would type the ride report with the ipad and when it came time in the writeup to post a pic I grab the phone and upload from there.

I should mention one key element, which is the eye-fi memory card. This card allows me to send images directly to the iPhone or ipad wirelessly FROM the camera. Not once during the trip did I ever connect the camera to a computer or the ipad directly. When going thru the pics on the camera, when I see one that I want to transfer to my iPhone, I just press the lock button on the camera (the one with a key on it) and this signals the card in the camera to transmit to the phone. So I literally sit there going thru the photos and go clicking on the ones I like. As I keep going thru them it's transferring the photos. It's amazing. It sets itself up as a hotspot (network) which you select on the iPhone like you would any wireless network within range. Once the "key" or lock button is selected, the eyefi app (free) picks up the connection and you see the photo transferring over in the progress bar. It's great for times you want to text or email a picture but don't want to be limited by the iPhone' camera (which is pretty damn good btw).