Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #136
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Thanks for the info guys.I might change the tourances in cairns. Will run mousse in front and HD tube rear with decent knobbies.was wondering about crash bars to protect the water pump etc.H&B or swmotec but they need to allow the bash plate to be fitted.
Any idea of bash plate crash bar combos that work with standard pipes? I like the metal mule stuff as well.I am asking these questions as I haven't even seen the bike and don't have the time till I get the bike back to Newman.

Mate B&B do a great bash plate, H&B crash bars are great to but you have to take a bit out of the bash plate to make it all fit. Pain in the ass but worth it.
Have a look at the black 660 with the big tank in this thread ( page 3 ) and you should see what I mean.
Anyway the B&B bash plate provides plenty of protection.
Any tyre will work on good dirt roads just depends what you are used to and how ya ride .

supamanaint screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 03:59 AM
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #137
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
sw

Am thinking SW motec bash plate, crash bars, sw luggage rack with sift luggage adaptor as the bash plate might not need any cutting to fit the engine guards.also cheaper than B&B..how are the handle bars? Good quality or do I need rental? Any other suggestions for my ride? Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #138
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Am thinking SW motec bash plate, crash bars, sw luggage rack with sift luggage adaptor as the bash plate might not need any cutting to fit the engine guards.also cheaper than B&B..how are the handle bars? Good quality or do I need rental? Any other suggestions for my ride? Thanks
SW Motec is good gear so you should have no problems, but for what its worth the B&B bashplates are the toughest I have seen and used.

Ask Boneman how soft the standard bars are , so yeah a good set of bars and Barkbusters and shes all good.

Have you been on to "xt660.com", lots of info and plently of help.
Look to get one of Kev's o2 controllers, it's plug and play and works.
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #139
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 359
Thumbs down Standard bars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supamanaint View Post
SW Motec is good gear so you should have no problems, but for what its worth the B&B bashplates are the toughest I have seen and used.

Ask Boneman how soft the standard bars are , so yeah a good set of bars and Barkbusters and shes all good.

Have you been on to "xt660.com", lots of info and plently of help.
Look to get one of Kev's o2 controllers, it's plug and play and works.
Yeah, standard bars are soft.... BUT I crashed at very high speed , and they did bend. I was fine, though... Renthals (Jimmy Button bend) MUCH better but you may have to re-route your clutch cable... No biggie...
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #140
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 624
Went for a sunday morning ride and proceded to get lost, Fuel light comes on in the middle of nowhere, Bugger thought the tank was pretty full. Riding in economy mode made it 65ks back to town (15k dirt 50k tar) and she only takes 12.5L to full. Light normally comes on around 215k and she takes 10L to fill.

Whats the most fuel you've put in the tank? and how many ks on reserve (fuel lamp on).

Going by most bikes I've owned you'd be lucky to get the quoted 15L in the tank and it would be nice to know what the actual reserve is.

Might have to look into a big tank or a fuel pack (rotopax)

By the way I got 296 klm out of the 12.5l in sunday morning relaxed mode.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #141
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
fuel

FI is great for fuel economy. As long as you are smooth and not caning the bike fuel economy will be good.happy to know that I can get 20 kms/ ltr average. Going to carry 20 ltrs extra for my trip.got to have a look at rear peg set up.on my wr250r I carried 2x 20 ltr jerries on the pillion pegs.10k kms in 13 days and the set up rocked. If I can do the same on the xt I will have 1000 km range.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #142
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
XT's on Ophir Road

Not a bad little alterate route if your sick of highway travel between Bathurst and Orange in the Central Tablelands of NSW. Even a nice little camping area at the Ophir Reserve, site of what was the old gold mining town.

Cheers
John.
John 171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #143
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

XT's on Ophir Road

Not a bad little alterate route if your sick of highway travel between Bathurst and Orange in the Central Tablelands of NSW. Even a nice little camping area at the Ophir Reserve, site of what was the old gold mining town.

Cheers
John.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #144
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 446
John,

Dam those XT's look good together and don't you just love that Aussie bush.
Can't wait to go riding with you guys.

Robo
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #145
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
Went for a sunday morning ride and proceded to get lost, Fuel light comes on in the middle of nowhere, Bugger thought the tank was pretty full. Riding in economy mode made it 65ks back to town (15k dirt 50k tar) and she only takes 12.5L to full. Light normally comes on around 215k and she takes 10L to fill.

Whats the most fuel you've put in the tank? and how many ks on reserve (fuel lamp on).

Going by most bikes I've owned you'd be lucky to get the quoted 15L in the tank and it would be nice to know what the actual reserve is.

Hey Plodalong,

Did you get any photos of the ride? Keen to see your bike in action.

Robo
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #146
boneman660
Try Hard

Question XT economy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong View Post

I tend to get about 215km out of the tank before the fuel light comes on... Ran it dry once (295km) so i budget on a fuel range of 250km from the tank... BUT I have no O2 sensor, I'm not sure how this affects economy, but it has cured the surging problem. Have a B&B rear plate with Rotopax for the odd occasion that I might need 300km plus range. I gather that the fuel light comes on theoretically at 5 litres remaining....

Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #147
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 624
Pic from a ride a few weeks ago, Didnt take the camera yesterday

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #148
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

Aussie Bush

Robo,

Yep I recon we live in one of the best motobiking countries in the world. As to riding together it would be great to do something like the tenere guys do, pick an interesting spot and all meet.

Cheers
John.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #149
John 171
Gnarly Adventurer

Fuel Economy

What grade of fuel are you guys using?

Not trying to turn this into a pissing competition, maybe my fuel light comes on later (don't know because I havn't run it dry) but I regularly get 235 to 240 kms out of mine before the light comes on without even trying. I'm using Premium fuel.

Cheers
John.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #150
boneman660
Try Hard

Talking BP Ultimate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 171 View Post
What grade of fuel are you guys using?

Not trying to turn this into a pissing competition, maybe my fuel light comes on later (don't know because I havn't run it dry) but I regularly get 235 to 240 kms out of mine before the light comes on without even trying. I'm using Premium fuel.

Cheers
John.
John, I always use BP Ultimate (RON 98) unless I can't get it.... I weigh about 90kg. I wouldn't say that I am an aggressive rider, my XT is a 2008 model. I wonder if the fuelling might vary from year model to the next?

Boneman