Nuff Said

Ryan
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
Agcountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post

So if your'e sitting here debating which oil won't make your engine explode, or why the Germans installed the worst suspension known to mankind ever; get off the computer, go for a ride, get outside your comfort zone and realize just how much fun it is.
Well put.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastygnome View Post
This is all very good and informative information you guys are posting about the F 800 GS. I am plainning to buy an adventure bike in the next year or so and really like hearing the truth from people who have really got one and ride them on a regular basis, not a two week demo in which someone paid them to say it was great. I am tore right now between the Tiger and The BMW although im leaning more towards the BMW because of its off road capability compared to the TIGER. However, I dont know how the BMW is on the road and would you guys say it is a great bike for long trips highway or dirt???
I just sold my 2011 Tiger 800 (road, with ABS) three weeks ago. The bike was pretty much perfect for me... size, weight, performance, except for one thing that drove me nuts. It gave off such heat as to be downright uncomfortable. You couldn't even touch the engine bars on a hot day. Way too hot. And it was such a common complaint among Tiger 800 owners that the bulletin boards are full of threads where people were trying to make deflectors and add insulation to make the bike less hot. On a cool day it was no problem at all, but this summer we've had way too many days of over 30C temperatures and since I wear ATGATT, I just couldn't take it. On those hot days I ended up taking my (almost twice as large) K1300GT instead because it didn't give off heat.

I've just ordered a 2013 F800GS with lowered suspension. I searched all the boards and couldn't find people complaining about heat. Of the 7 bikes I've owned so far (the F8 will be my 8th) none has given off heat like this.

Of course I don't have the new bike yet, but I'm real happy with my decision. And for someone like me with short legs, the lowered suspension version makes it possible for me to ride that bike, while the Tiger 800XC is just way too tall (and too hot).

Whatever you decide, happy trails...
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Agree to all of the above !!

Had my 2011 for 2 years and 9000 miles. I have done long 500 mile highway days and fairly technical off road rides. I just did a 200 mile mostly dirt road ride up the west side of Glacier Park Montana last week. It does everything I ask it to very well. No it does not have the piss your pants power of a Multistrada, Nor can I do the same things off road as my Husky 250 but it is a perfect marriage of the two. I have a Mirage screen, Hyperpro lowered shocks ( big improvement) all of the other protection bits and Jesse Safari panniers. BMW comfort seat is a real upgrade over stock. I have it farkled perfect for me and I plan on riding it for a very long time.

So far I have had no real issues mechanically. I think the 2013's look great and if I was doing it again I would go for the GS over the Tiger any day for the roads I ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 124
I gota say that I'm having a blast on my 2010 F800Gs. The 2010 fell into my lap while i was researching adventure bikes. Wanting something more road worthy and that could keep up a sustained 80 mph minimum,while while crossing the vast desert between SoCal and everywhere else, KTM and BMW took the spot light, while still being able to play in the dirt.(can't ever give that up) Couldn't afford new so lurking through want adds for used bikes reveled neither would stay advertised for any length of time. Turns out a former co-worker put his up for sale and a deal was struck. bought it 5 months ago with 9500 miles on it and I've since ran the odometer up to 16600 miles. mostly roads, 15% off road. changed the seat (couldn't stand the stock one) and wind-screen stock,, one sucks, IMO. It has taken me from SoCal to Seattle via highway 1, to Glacier NP via route 20, to Tahoe then on to Yosemite and home. not to mention daily to and from runs to work ( it make going to work fun). It has stalled on me 3 times when cold and not a constant problem. other than the seat and windscreen, I have 0 issues with the bike. Runs better on the street that I imagined, and runs in the dirt like a big woman, but it's what i expected. well worth the trade off. just my .02
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
fdoctor
n00b

Oddometer: 5
fdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote