ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Mtbcoach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Trip planning...Skyline/BRP/Maggie Valley...

I have coerced my wife into a moto vacation and I'm embarrassed to say that after living in NC for over 14 years, we have never driven the BRP. I've planned a week or so, starting in Cary NC, to Front Royal following Skyline to BRP ending in Maggie Valley for a day trip around 441 to 129 then returning to Cary the next day.

I think I have most things planned out but wanted to check with the experts and inmates on what not to miss and/or things to avoid, just in case.

First, looking for best options from Cary to Front Royal. Wife hates being on the highway, being next to traffic at speed makes her very nervous, reason #1 for not going on trips with me.

I'm planning on out of the Triangle, up hwy501 to Charlottesville or maybe hwy15 instead? Don't know the best option, open to suggestions.

Next question is planned day trip out of Maggie Valley, out 441 to old hwy73 to 321 to foothills parkway to 129 to Maggie Valley. Looking for alternative to Cherohala/129 loop, 441 looks like a nice ride on the map, need feedback on this loop.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, advice or links to previous threads that may help...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Mtbcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
Motoranch
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 257
Can't help you much on your route north. 441/73/ Foothills parkway is a nice ride. When you get to Deals Gap on 129 I like 28 past Fontana Dam to head back towards Maggie Valley. Wheels Through Time Museum is pretty much a must do in Maggie Valley. Say hello to Matt for me. Was there just last week. 209 to Hot Springs is nice. Are you camping or Hotel?
YZ 250 2 smoker
Misc others
Motoranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,150
If at all possible, try to do Skyline Drive early on a week day.

tom c and I did Front Royal to Waynesboro last Friday. Took us about 3 hours to do the 105 miles, 45 to 50 mph nearly the whole way.

We entered at 8am and the place was just about deserted. The only Rangers we saw were at the entrance and exit station.

An excellent ride.

L'Dees Pancake House in Front Royal has great breakfast.
20% Smug Mug Credit

WayneJ screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 05:01 AM
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Mtbcoach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Motoranch - thanks for the feedback, I rode that route last year and will take the wife on it again this year. We are hotel, I can convince her to camp if we are in our Land Cruiser & Expedition trailer, camping lean on a bike, no way.

Planning on a trip to the museum, yes, a must stop. I missed it last year and won't miss it this year....

WayneJ - will do, its in the route on the GPS. Unfortunately, we will be doing it on Sunday am. Thanks for the great pics, we are planning a leisurely pace, makes my passenger much happier...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Good info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950582

Give your wife the park map and let her picks the places to stop Live will be good that way.
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Motoranch
Trail Boss

Woodberry Inn BRP mile post 174.1 treated us well. Browns Restaurant in Sparta is good eatin although a little off the parkway around marker 228 also gas nearby.
YZ 250 2 smoker
Misc others
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,063
do a site search for blue ridge parkway and you'll find tons of info

501 and 15 are about the same, with 15, 360 gets slab like in that section, but you could take 47 up to Charlotte Court House then 40 over to Phenix and 727 into Appomattox and get some history

501 is fun N of Lynchburg.

personally I'd skip the Skyline Drive. speed limit is 35. WayneJ got lucky with traveling it at 50 normally, that's a big time fine from the feds

And stop at the Blue Ridge Music Center on the BRP, neat place!!

biker friendly places at The Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland, NC and Freeborne's near Laurel Springs NC

do not miss Wheels Through Time!! and do not ride Deals Gap on the weekend!!!

enjoy the ride!! it's a must do!!
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

If you're hungry when you get to US-33 on Skyline Drive, El Paso Mexican Grill on US-340 in Elkton is highly recommended. Opens at noon on Sundays. Best Mexican food in the area. It's about 6 miles from Skyline Drive.

20% Smug Mug Credit
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Mtbcoach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a RV View Post
Good info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950582

Give your wife the park map and let her picks the places to stop Live will be good that way.
Good idea and thanks for the link, good info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoranch View Post
Woodberry Inn BRP mile post 174.1 treated us well. Browns Restaurant in Sparta is good eatin although a little off the parkway around marker 228 also gas nearby.
Thanks for the ideas, will put in notes.

Thus far, we are spending day 1 in Front Royal, day 2 Peaks of Otter lodge, day 3 Blowing Rock, day 4 Pishag Inn, day 5 Maggie Valley...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
personally I'd skip the Skyline Drive. speed limit is 35. WayneJ got lucky with traveling it at 50 normally, that's a big time fine from the feds
I see this every time someone says they want to do Skyline Drive. It's one of the reasons I wanted to it, so I could find out for myself.

It's also why we did it early in the morning on a weekday, like I said, it was pretty much deserted up there. We slowed down at the obvious places where we might see law enforcement.

It was an awesome ride.

I also see this same thing posted about the 45mph limit on the BRP. Did that on a Friday afternoon a couple of years ago from Waynesboro to Roanoke. Had 7 bikes behind me, darn near every time I looked at the speedo I was doing 55-60. Same thing, slowed down where it was obvious there might be LE. No tickets, no jail time. The only Rangers we saw were near Roanoke, they were running radar.

Of course I may just be lucky. Or stupid, opinions vary. I've been riding street bikes since '72(damn...42 years ) and have never been pulled over on one for anything, never.
20% Smug Mug Credit
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Motoranch
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Of course I may just be lucky. Or stupid, opinions vary. I've been riding street bikes since '72(damn...42 years ) and have never been pulled over on one for anything, never.

Sup Wayne We ran 55 60 on the BRP as well. During the week is better. LE is probably out more on the weekend and fall foilage time. I've never gotten a ticket in my 40 years either ...... at least not on the Ural
YZ 250 2 smoker
Misc others
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbcoach View Post
I have coerced my wife into a moto vacation and I'm embarrassed to say that after living in NC for over 14 years, we have never driven the BRP. I've planned a week or so, starting in Cary NC, to Front Royal following Skyline to BRP ending in Maggie Valley for a day trip around 441 to 129 then returning to Cary the next day.

I think I have most things planned out but wanted to check with the experts and inmates on what not to miss and/or things to avoid, just in case.

First, looking for best options from Cary to Front Royal. Wife hates being on the highway, being next to traffic at speed makes her very nervous, reason #1 for not going on trips with me.

I'm planning on out of the Triangle, up hwy501 to Charlottesville or maybe hwy15 instead? Don't know the best option, open to suggestions.

Next question is planned day trip out of Maggie Valley, out 441 to old hwy73 to 321 to foothills parkway to 129 to Maggie Valley. Looking for alternative to Cherohala/129 loop, 441 looks like a nice ride on the map, need feedback on this loop.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, advice or links to previous threads that may help...
Needless to say, if you're in Maggie Valley, visit Wheels Through Time. Motorcycle museum.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
you could opt for Willville MC campground vs peaks of otter and Blue Ridge MC campground inatead of Pisgah Inn. Both have cabins to rent. check out the websites. i you are the camping types, these two beat any hotel.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Mtbcoach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestion kitesurfer...

We are currently on the trip, been fantastic thus far. Traffic has been surprisingly light, weather has been stunning for late July, hit 53 degrees going over Grandfather Mountain.

I'll post up a ride report once done but have been supremely enjoying ourselves...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,297
If you have time....some of the best riding is on the roads that lead up and down from the BRP. A few NC numbers of note are 215, 276, 151, 80, 226A for twisty pavement.