Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #197
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Spotted SloPhil in Ushuaia........

Now THAT is frickin' awesome! I've been trying to think of a good joke for his new 'stache for a couple of weeks now - yours in better than anything I thought of.

Please send me a high-res copy. That one needs to go on the "Wall of Fame" in my shop.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #198
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Spotted SloPhil in Ushuaia........

Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #199
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Headed off to Argentina once again, left really early in the morning and when we arrived at the Chile border nobody seemed to be around so we sort of gradually drifted through the border and over to the Argentine side without really stopping (brain dead the two of us), didn't take long for the Chilean Aduena to chase us down, wave us back from the Argentine side and and very politely inform us of our gross negligence of not clearing out but I have to say after really reaming us out they were really polite and nice to us, your luck may vary if you try this stunt

I think the Chileans had already contacted the Argentinians about us, the problem was when we arrived back at the Argentine side the wind was blowing like stink, Guillermo pulled up, got off his bike, opened his top box and the wind grabbed all his papers and the next view the Argentines had of us was us running down the road into Argentine chasing mydrid papers, when we finally gathered up as many of his papers as we could and got inside the customs agent asked with a smile if we had all our papers with us

the road turned to gravel slightly past customs

but it truly was pretty countryside

arrived at the town of Jose de San Martin where a gaucho caught my eye

I got a big thumbs up and smile when he saw me taking his picture

really interesting trees in the town

but the next morning was a bit of a downer, when we arrived at the intersection for the main highway Guillarmo had to turn left and start heading to Buenos Aires and home while I turned right and continued south

saying goodbye to my Amigo Buenos

almost a year later I'm adding this, I became aware that this was more than a small downer, losing my friend who helped me laugh at a lot of tough days put a huge flat spot in my trip. Took a long time to get back up again. Some people affect you this way and I'm glad to say Guillermo did!!

Slowphil screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 07:34 PM
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #200
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

arrived at the town of El Calafate, a really pretty, well cared for town who's sole existance is to feed tourists down the road to the Perito Moreno Glacier in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares. I really thought the town was pretty and nice but the prices for everything but the hostal Los Dos Pinos were unbelievably high.

the town had everything you could want for hiking, exploring, kayaking, you name it they had it and I really liked the displays they had they showed a lot of imagination

Glacier Park Headquarters

but enough shilly shallying around lets get to the real reason we're here and thats the glacier, I didn't bother taking a tour just pulled the gear off the bike and rode the 80 kms to the park

the entrance to the park is a long way from the glacier (which is the only glacier in the world which is stable, all others are shrinking) and the first view is the fog bank hanging over the glacier

and then the glacier itself

Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #201
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

The glacier can be walked to on the land side because right now it's almost at the point of land you can see on the map

and the walk down is quite interesting

but it really is the glacier

and me too of course but that goes without saying

most of the time I was there the wind was coming down off the glacier and at times it snowed quite heavily but after a good cup of coffee it was back to El Calafante to get ready to move on
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #202
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

met 2 Brazilian couples on Vstroms in El Calafate and kept bumping into them down the road heading for Tierra Del Fuego so decided to hang with them for a day

waiting patiently for the ferry

loading on

and I had to put in this one because after sailing on another ferry for 4 1/2 hrs in the wind and rain with no protection this is what they provide for a 20 min ride

Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #203
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

After 2 days travel from El Calafate over good roads and bad this is the sort of scenery you see

but the view you really want is this one

USHUAIA, FIN DEL MUNDO

When you see these pillars it is undescribable, I made it, I'm here, the farthest point of a long journey over good roads and bad, with extreme high points and lows

I stayed at an apartment with 4 other people and we decided to go and take pictures again

here's Mark (Radioman) defying death to get the perfect picture, the policeman at the checkpoint just past the pillars started walking towards us a bunch of times, everytime he came toward us we'd clear the road and when he turned his back we'd move another bike out to take a picture, we had semis stopping to give us time to take pictures with thumbs up and big smiles when they went by

Sherri didn't have her bike down here but showed how it would have been if she rode in

and a few of the other places we went to

this one is for my friends Don and Wendy, sailboat coming up the Beagle Channel

and how the Argentinians really feel about something

Next: a great Christmas, at the bottom of the world with four wonderful people
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #204
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Congratulations Phil.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #205
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Christmas eve, frantic preperations being made for the big day. Off downtown to do the grocery shopping and see who's there, it looks like the colony is moving into the downtown

they may smell a lot but at least they're friendly

but enough frivolity it's shop, shop, shop

Sherri trying to do intelligent shopping

but with 4 guys it's, we need 6 of these no better make it 15, say get 20 of those

but you do have to pay for all this, here's Mark not quite believing the size of the bill

home again jiggity jig

to unpack and line everything up neatly

and then feasting time

but wait, it sounds like a motorcycle with bells, YES YES IT IS, IT'S SANTA

he's here to give us presents and candy for being good boys and girl

but wait, who could believe Santa is actually a perv

but the crushing blow is soon forgotten in the excitement of Christmas day and getting ready for the Potluck we're going to have

Plotting and planning for the day, the excitement is visible in the faces gathered around the table

the planning and preparations are done nothing to do but wait for the guests

and the party's on, it really was a good time

the maps we put on the walls were busy all day, bikers from all over the world discussing where they've been and where they hope to go

but all things must end so we gathered all the bikes, shut down the road until we finished our pictures

Christmas was finished with a brief visit to the Dublin Pub downtown, no pictures available, it was a great Christmas day spent with really interesting people

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #206
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

One of the things about arriving in Ushuaia was I was going to share an apartment with 4 other people, stay until after new years and get some rest. When I got here I was actually quite tired from the constant travelling I've done for 5 months

so random shots from the week I have been here, nothing special except the people I'm with, it's been fun the whole time

the architecture here is a mish mash of everything with no general theme

we had to move apartments as our reservation in the first ran out so here's our new digs

now my wife will find this hard to believe but I who cannot cook ended up giving a cooking lesson

when Claude decided to move north he asked us to do him a favour and mail a postcard, I think threatened us rather than asked is a better description but here's the proof that we did it Claude

a random sampling of the graffiti around town

but this one is really interesting, a commentary on the fact that smokers are imprisioned by their addictions

I informed Mark (Radioman) that Canada, the same as always, beat the US at hockey again. I don't think he took the news too well

when I left Rio Gallegos heading here I had to adjust my chain, when I got here I found the chain has pooched and stretched out past the max allowable distance, as a matter of fact I have run out of adjustment but luckily Mark had a chain breaker and I have the tool to insert master links so a corporate decision was made to remove a link so I can make it to Buenos Aires to see my beloved Bride, there is not a hope of getting chain and sprockets down here

breaking the chain

Well, thats the week in review, the next posting will be New Years day, see you then
Old 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #207
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Happy New Year, Bud!

Its easy to see in the pictures that you are having one helluva time. I'm very glad that you were able to hook up with Radioman and his band of Merry Riders at the end of the world!

Just so you are aware....you are not missing ANYTHING here. Other than the first REAL snowstorm of the season, with winds gusting to 80km/H here in the Valley, with the highest gusts of 110 km/H recorded at Long and Brier Island. So, relax, have fun! You do know that the rest of us here are living vicariously through you, especially Yellowknife.

C.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #208
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Happy New Year, Bud!

Its easy to see in the pictures that you are having one helluva time. I'm very glad that you were able to hook up with Radioman and his band of Merry Riders at the end of the world!

Just so you are aware....you are not missing ANYTHING here. Other than the first REAL snowstorm of the season, with winds gusting to 80km/H here in the Valley, with the highest gusts of 110 km/H recorded at Long and Brier Island. So, relax, have fun! You do know that the rest of us here are living vicariously through you, especially Yellowknife.

C.
I am so!

Yellowknife
Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #209
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #210
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Now that, is an awesome pic! Happy New Year's, my friend. May your 2013 be filled with many, trouble free miles!