Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #121
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
As stated quite often the weather sometimes is not the greatest and when your in high altitudes it can be quite cool and heading toward Pasto it got quite high

stopped for a coffee and a break from riding

along came another rider on a Super Tenere, Mathias from Germany, he has the job of writing for one of the German moto mags

the countryside is quite amazing for changes of altitude and twisties

when we arrived at Pasto nobody could figure out where the hostal was so around we wandered, what saved us was a local rider stopped and led us to where we wanted to go which turned out to be right across the city, we invited him back for a cerveza after work which he accepted

the hostal was on a very narrow street and while we were unloading the gear we ended up being the major attraction of the day for downtown Pasto

nice old hostal as well

went for a wander downtown and this steeple caught my attention because of it's ornateness

and the church underneath it was quite amazing

ended up at the centro where I ran into the other guys but for some reason this young lady seemed to have taken quite a fancy to me, she circled the centro a number of times and each time she stopped to talk to me, as you can see in the background Gabby thought this was hilarious

Pasto turned out to be a nice little town which I enjoyed, worth a visit

Slowphil screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:36 AM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #122
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

the countryside heading to the border doesn't get any easier

one of the attractions I really wanted to visit was Las Lajas Sanctuary just outside of Ipales which lies almost alongside the Colombia Ecuador border

its quite unique, people saw a vision of the Virgin Mary standing on a rock on the side of the gorge so they built the church high enough to incorporate the rock into the altar

the major window

thousands of people put up signs saying thank you for a miracle

and one of the local inhabitants enjoying the countryside

but off we go again to the border with Ecuador which turned out to be really easy to get through

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #123
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Once across the border we headed for a little place that Ed had stayed at before, Hostal Aida in La Esperanza. It is well known, back in the 60's the area was famous for magic mushrooms and the hostal had visitors such as Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and more

they have some huge moths here

we paid $16 each/night but that included breakfast and supper which were fabulous, the one downer about the place was that the internet didn't work, we had to go across the street to pirate a signal from the home owner and no C-Stain I'm not throwing up on my computer I'm talking to my Beloved Bride

the evenings were quiet just sitting around talking and drinking from huge bottles of beer

We stayed a total of three days so Ed, Mathias and myself stripped all the luggage off our bikes and went up into the mountains

it's excellent countryside, we followed some tracks until whoops

the shepard was really nice, quite eager to talk about his life

but all good things come to an end and it was time for Ekki and I to shove off to Quito

did the usual tourist stuff and visited the Cathedral

liability must be very low here you can climb all over the cathedral including up on the roof

there's a million nooks and cranies in the building

Ekki wanted me to show how hard the riding is down here

We now journey down the highway to Banos
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #124
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post

**snip** and no C-Stain I'm not throwing up on my computer I'm talking to my Beloved Bride
I wouldn't have thought you were throwing it...maybe searching for a better signal...! Looks like you're having a blast. I have to say, I'm more than a little bit jealous!

How is the bike holding up? I know you mentioned it was an inch too low..but how are things otherwise? Tires, chain and such? No issues?

Keep having fun bud! (We'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Heading out on a a bit of a ride on the local trails/fire roads!)
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #125
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
and our last 2 days in Panama we decided to get some rest, everybody being tired from hard riding, stopped at Santa Clara in a nice little hotel
on the beach. Because it is still off season we got a great 2 room place with a kitchen and slowed down for 2 days

Guillarmo doing what he did best

Phil do you remember the name of this place? i'll be there in about three weeks doing the crossing, looks good...enjoying the report
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #126
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

I can't believe I forgot to add this: another major milestone of the trip.

We left La Esperanza and headed down the highway confident in the fact there would be signs on every road announcing when we were at the EQUATOR but no not on the road we were on, of course I could understand it, it was a winding twisting mountainous road with absolutely no place to stop. When we finally figured we were past the line we headed back up another road to find it

looking desperately for the equator

and then there it was

and the mandatory tourist shots

I really wanted to put the bike here but the rules forbid it

a little bit down the road we ran into major construction work on the road so while waiting I got the local police to strike a pose while standing beside his trusty vstrom 650

In the background you can see a huge lineup of vehicles ahead of us, when they opened the road for us we lane split past it and were on a clear road in about 7 minutes, ya gotta love it!!!

Next: back on track and in Banos de Agua Santa
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #127
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I wouldn't have thought you were throwing it...maybe searching for a better signal...! Looks like you're having a blast. I have to say, I'm more than a little bit jealous!

How is the bike holding up? I know you mentioned it was an inch too low..but how are things otherwise? Tires, chain and such? No issues?

Keep having fun bud! (We'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Heading out on a a bit of a ride on the local trails/fire roads!)
Hey C: bikes doing fine except for the pieces I keep breaking off, actually it seems to be a bit rough right now but thats probably because it needs the valves checked, the high alcohol content of the Peruvian gas and the high altitudes we're travelling. The Heidenaus are doing well I think I have somewhere between 5000 to 8000 km left in them, that will be about 35,000km on them, chain is good needs to be tightened right now but it's still running quietly, I try to oil it every 500km or so. Can't think of anything else, oh yeah, my trusty sheepskin seat cover which has lasted for about 15 years at home rotted out in 2 months of Central American rain, it literally disintigrated

Slowphil screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 06:59 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #128
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 685
Nice marker Phil

Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #129
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Phil do you remember the name of this place? i'll be there in about three weeks doing the crossing, looks good...enjoying the report
Can't remember myself but I emailed another guy who was there and when I hear I'll post. You will probably really like the Stahlratte, we had an excellent time and the party went on for another week in Cartagena which is a fabulous city, actually the whole country of Colombia is fabulous, I wasn't there anywhere long enough but will spend time there on the way back home

Cheers Philip
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #130
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Banos de Agua Santa: a little tourist town which rightly holds the description of a great place to visit. If there's anything you have wanted to try in extreme sport this is the place, Paragliding, scuba, bungee jumping, canyoning, rappelling, horseback riding, if you want to do it somebody is selling it and the town is nice as well

church at centro

We were there over the Day of the Dead which is party time everywhere south of the USA

small waterfall right in town at the hot springs, sit in the hot hot water of the springs and then stand under the cold cold water falls, it's quite a feeling

fireworks downtown with rockets going off all day long

the local police band played and they were pretty good

but every second song was played by the band behind them, a bit of a competition going on

there were all sorts of things going on in the downtown area, this guy had quite a crowd gathered round

These guys were good enough on the pan flutes they convinced me to cough up $5 and buy one of their CD's, it was painful but I had to do it

the Tuk Tuk's were in the town in the hundreds but this one was special, the dog looked completely blaise about being chauffered around in his own Tuk Tuk and the owner looked a little off the wall as well

I tried to do a lot of walking while I was there to loosen my knees up a bit, the side streets are not quite as fancy as the main streets

main street

back street, there's lots of money in the town from tourism but the average person is not rich

stayed at the Hostal Plants y Blanco which was cheap, $7 in a 4 person dorm, comfortable, nicely kept with lots of interesting people around and secure parking for the bikes. Edited to add,the young backpackers convinced me to head downtown with them the last evening, 3am I finally rolled back in while they were still partying hard. I was up and on the road at 8am the next morning while the youngsters were still nowhere to be seen

and the kitchen

where I produced such cullinary delights as this

but it was now time to move on to Peru

Slowphil screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:58 PM
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #131
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
The place is called Las Serenas, have fun

Cheers Philip
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #132
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

It's a real let down when you leave a place like Banos and the road can sometimes seem like a grind moving every day, we have figured out that we now have a new schedule 25th December in Ushuiau and we have to start hustling to make it, it's times like this I envy Crashmeister with his two years of travelling. Anyway we decided to head for the coast and run down it for a couple of days

but first heading for the borders

I have to interrupt myself here, I'm sitting in my room in Casma Peru typing this and someone is playing the pan pipes out on the street and it's echoing up through the courtyard, the player is excellent and the music is beautiful

the colours in the pictures are exactly correct, that's the kind of day it was

the country is still tough to move through, it takes forever to make 100 kms

and every now and then after honking down the road you come around a curve to see this

ended up at Macara right on the Peruvian border, actually not a bad place for a border town, clean and the people were pleasant and relatively safe for a border town

next morning we were at the border early and surprise--it was very relaxed, quick with a few laughs thrown in for good measure, edited-the aduana and migration people on both sides were very nice to work with

goodbye Ecuador I had some really good times

and hello Peru I hope your as welcoming

and next: disappointment

Slowphil screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #133
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 389
going south

Thanks for the inspiring report ! Lots of good info. Couldn't go to bed till I got here. Salud !
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #134
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,349
Quote:
and next: disappointment

Well, don't keep us in suspense!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #135
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Great pics of Ecuador! Hope you will come back and visit!

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote