Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
I could only imagine that it overheated by discharging fast for a long time (short)
but I just left the lights on all night last nite on the 525 exc KTM with the 2 year old Shorai 14
no melting
no signs of life but it still read 13.8v on the Fluke..... (?)
I left it on the Deltran all day and it came back to life
spun over real fast when I put it back in

sigh of relief
so far so good
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,335
The Trailtech reg/rec that I used to convert everything over to DC has a built-in relay that shuts-off the headlight automatically about 30 seconds after the engine stops, and that 8" HID light only pulls about 42W anyway. Grip heaters are the only other electrical accessory I've added. Those also pull about 40W and are wired to a switch and then straight to the battery, and have accidentally left the grip heaters on a few times. That drained the battery, but it never seemed to hurt anything. Haven't used the grip heaters all summer though, so can't imagine what might have put enough of a load on the battery to melt it overnight.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ar-safety.html
Maybe the battery could not take the abuse the bike gave it. You are lucky the bike did not burn .
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I worked on power wheel chairs and scooters for 15 years. That sure looks like an internal short to me.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Contact Shorai re the problem

They had problems with some of the early units which caused failures like the one you have, it was a problem with plates too close together.
I recall Shorai came to the party with those who suffered failures & the owners were happy with the response

There are threads about it and their MD is registered on Advrider as Nippon Dave, drop a PM on him
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Anybody else had anything like this happen? Was installed in my 2010 450XCW with a Trailtech high-output stator and DC conversion kit, powering a 8" Baja Designs HID racelight and grip heaters. Worked great for the first twelve months, and then crapped-out overnight. Came out one morning and my bike wouldn't start. Removed the seat only to find that the battery had completely melted.

WOW... sure looks like an internal short to me... positive terminal in first pic was properly covered. with no damage showing in either cables that I can see.

there were a few reports of early Shorai having internal connection issues, which have long been fixed.

it's been several months now.... let us know how Shorai takes care of this... for more details on a motorcycle that caught on fire, follow LiFePO4 testing thread. should be towards first of thread.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
it's been several months now.... let us know how Shorai takes care of this...
Quote:
Just got back from Shorai, with a brand new battery. Top-notch customer service. Looking forward to following-up with them next week to see what they have to say about what might have happened to my first battery. Will make it a point to ask them about some of this other points too.
They never called me back.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Keep on them!....make them answer as to what went wrong with their product OR,as to what mod's that may have contributed to this overload.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
I could only imagine that it overheated by discharging fast for a long time
More likely it's being overcharged. Swelling and distortion of battery cases is typically caused by either using them in a hot environment or more typically as a result of overcharging.
I would look at the charging current.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
They never called me back.
that's very strange... usually Shorai has excellent customer service. you need to call em again...

I'd sure like to see that melted battery too...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #26
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

They did give me excellent customer service. They gave me a brand new battery, on the spot. They just didn't follow-up with me to have me bring the old battery back so we could do a post-mortem analysis. After reading more about those batteries, wouldn't buy another one. Looks like there are better options out there.

I still have the battery. We can cut it up and take a look inside if you guys want to see what's going on in there.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
I still have the battery. We can cut it up and take a look inside if you guys want to see what's going on in there.

Cutting it up will only show a cut up battery it won't do much if anything to identify the cause of the failure. As I said earlier I would be having a really good look at the input current I reckon that is the most likely cause (assuming it's not just a random failure from a production defect) and if it is you will have similar problems eventually with every battery you install.

I see swollen batteries almost every day in my business and invariably it's as I said heat (not really applicable on a bike) or overcharging that is the cause.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
The lithiums are a little different to what you are used to with lead acid. With the shorai in particular there are 2 known causes of damage as shown in the pic

The first is a production problem in the early units where 2 rails were too close together and they shorted internally causing excess heat and deformation of the case. Shorai explained this fully on line at another forum

The second cause is undercharging of the battery causing a cell to fail. This then generates heat losses at that cell and deformation of the case. This is discussed in the lithium testing thread here on advrider

With the shorai it is important the VR outputs 14.4v to get full charge. other brands such as AntiGravity are fine with a 14.2v VR output
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 740
bought a shorai for my buddy as a gift for his wr450. after two months of infrequent use, the thing bulged out like a balloon and was dead as dirt.

called shorai and they replaced it without a question. 2nd battery worked fine for several months before he left for one year. he'll be back in a day or so and since he misses his wr like it was his left nut, i'm sure he'll be on it like stink on shit. can't wait to see what the battery is like after sitting for one year without a charger...
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
rm_hm
Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer: 169
Cut that bastard open. I can't find a single pic on the net of shorai guts. I wan't to see what these foil pouches look like.
N46 39.164 / W121 35.020
N47 19' 24.73" / W123 16' 23.73"
rm_hm is offline   Reply With Quote