Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #676
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
I'm going to be 2-up on a Super Tenere. I've watched several videos of Engineer, Cinnamon, Imogene and Black Bear passes. I've decided that we shouldn't have any problems with any of the above except Black Bear. That little hill climb on Cinnamon will be a bit of a challenge, but I'd say we've done stuff about the same difficulty level here in North GA, East TN and Western NC. However, I know all too well that the steepness of a hill is never captured by the camera lens.

I think Black Bear pass is too risky 2-up. I would probably be okay on the harder sections 1-up, but Michele would have to walk those sections and I don't know how long they are and how many of them there are on the route.

With that being said, can anyone familiar with the area recommend some other "must do" rides? Right now, I plan on doing Engineer, Cinnamon and Imogene passes at a minimum. I don't know how long that will take, but I hope we have time for more in the 4 days we will be there.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #677
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
Is there a lot of loose rocks and gravel?

Just wondering if the stock Trail Wing is good enough.
As long as the conditions are perfect (not wet) they can be fine if you take it easy. I ditched mine for 606's as soon as I could.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #678
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Yankee Boy Basin gets pretty Technical up towards the top / end of trail

Poughkeepsie Gulch has some NASTY sections as well, but their are different lines thru there.

Neither place is big bike friendly, but can be done.

Twisty, you'd be Fine solo on Black Bear but Michelle better wear her "Hiking Boots" for several sections
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #679
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Twisty, you'd be Fine solo on Black Bear but Michelle better wear her "Hiking Boots" for several sections
That's kinda what I thought. I better leave Black Bear for next time.

I may have to come back on the 4 fidy and do Poughkeepsie and Yankee Boy. Thanks BD.
TBA #1001
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #680
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
That's kinda what I thought. I better leave Black Bear for next time.

I may have to come back on the 4 fidy and do Poughkeepsie and Yankee Boy. Thanks BD.

Another Roadtrip?????
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #681
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
I'm going to be 2-up on a Super Tenere. I've watched several videos of Engineer, Cinnamon, Imogene and Black Bear passes. I've decided that we shouldn't have any problems with any of the above except Black Bear. That little hill climb on Cinnamon will be a bit of a challenge, but I'd say we've done stuff about the same difficulty level here in North GA, East TN and Western NC. However, I know all too well that the steepness of a hill is never captured by the camera lens.

I think Black Bear pass is too risky 2-up. I would probably be okay on the harder sections 1-up, but Michele would have to walk those sections and I don't know how long they are and how many of them there are on the route.

With that being said, can anyone familiar with the area recommend some other "must do" rides? Right now, I plan on doing Engineer, Cinnamon and Imogene passes at a minimum. I don't know how long that will take, but I hope we have time for more in the 4 days we will be there.
The steps,( dangerous parts) are only about 100-150 feet long. You can walk it,and other parts are not an issue..... If you are skilled.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #682
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The steps,( dangerous parts) are only about 100-150 feet long. You can walk it,and other parts are not an issue..... If you are skilled.
Twisty'll be fine as he rides WNC Goat Trails
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #683
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Twisty'll be fine as he rides WNC Goat Trails
LOL.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #684
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
I'm going to be 2-up on a Super Tenere.

Ophir, Bolam, Last Dollar rd and Old Lime Creek rd would be good 2-up on a big bike. If you find those to easy them do Imogene (I would do Telluride to Ouray direction). Engineer from 550 (Mineral Creek Rd) is not big bike friendly 2-up...
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #685
Jhawkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Considering it

I live close to Silverton, in Farmington. I should really sign up for this to put the new f800gsa through her paces. I've grown up jeeping on the passes of the San Juans and haven't gotten up there in the last two years.....

I'm having trouble finding out what the registration and participation in the event entails...I assume there's regularly scheduled group rides, or is it just basically a free for all in the mountains with evening events inside Silverton?
Jhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #686
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
Ophir, Bolam, Last Dollar rd and Old Lime Creek rd would be good 2-up on a big bike. If you find those to easy them do Imogene (I would do Telluride to Ouray direction). Engineer from 550 (Mineral Creek Rd) is not big bike friendly 2-up...
There ya go , THAT'S the kind of info I'm looking for. See, I would have gone up there on Engineer via 550 and gotten myself in trouble and probably divorced after making Mamma Bear walk most of the way.

I think Brown Dog overestimates my abilities. He and I have ridden a few goat trails around here, but I wasn't riding an elephant with Mamma Bear on the back.
TBA #1001
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #687
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 11,211
Quote:
All of those can be done in a afternoon really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I've never found Mineral Creek Rd to be bad at all. Of course last time I was on that road this is what it looked like.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #688
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkins View Post
I live close to Silverton, in Farmington. I should really sign up for this to put the new f800gsa through her paces. I've grown up jeeping on the passes of the San Juans and haven't gotten up there in the last two years.....

I'm having trouble finding out what the registration and participation in the event entails...I assume there's regularly scheduled group rides, or is it just basically a free for all in the mountains with evening events inside Silverton?
There are approx. 200 riders of all abilities and on all types of bikes. Registration will get you a shirt and a couple of Dinners and the secret de-coder ring . In the evenings and sometimes in the AM we gather up to discuss different rides that folks will be doing and what they are like and what ability levels will be comfortable. The group rides are as a group, no one gets left behind and everyone helps everyone.

You should come on up, you will have a great time. I will be riding through Farmington on a loop ride with my daughter and wife on Monday or Tuesday prior........I'll wave!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #689
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Just a NOTE: The T-Shirts are now closed as we are at the time limit for sizes. There will be a limited supply at the event if you like to purchase one.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #690
OldtimerTC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Let it rain

Forecast for Silverton showing chance of rain next 10 days. Under flash flood watch for tonight ?

Let it rain.....
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote