User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
GPS Tracker on bikes?

Having had my lovely TE610 stolen only 2 months ago im thinking about a GPS tracker unit for my next bike… Anyone use or have experience with different models..

Found this cheapy on fleabay..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Cars-...#ht_5537wt_907

The way i see it, it charges off USB and runs for a long time without a charge so if i connected it up to a USB charge on my bike that charged only when the ignition is on, it wouldn't drain my battery but still work as my bike will be a daily commuter…

I wire in the unit and hide it somewhere on the bike and basically forget about it?

If it ever gets stolen, I sms the phone number of the SIM card and it replies with the GPS co-ordinates or worst case the GPRS co-ordinates (providing it has mobile coverage i presume)

Thoughts?

PS. I WILL NOT LET THESE THIEVES TAKE ANOTHER ONE OF MY BIKES WITHOUT BEING CAUGHT!!!!!
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
How does it work inside? My major concern with something like this is that if someone steals your bike they are more than likely going to hide the bike inside somewhere where you won't get a GPS signal.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Well the GPS might not get a signal but it should still have mobile service just like a normal mobile phone so it can give you 'rough' position based on mobile towers..I.e. The GPRS part of it…..I think
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Just buy one of these, they work off a sim card and triangulate your position.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...ecurity_Alerts

You can even dial up the bike and listen to anything around the bike, you can also set up geo fences, it will send you a text if it goes past that fence.
For under $100 I think that it's worth it even if my bike is insured.
fatbloke49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Sorry, they have deleted the tracker from china vision web site above but it is similar to the one below.
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...me_Monitoring/
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Dont most of the real time gps tracker transmitters require a month to month monitoring type fee?

I know there are some cheap gps loggers that are the size of a pack of gum, that just track "historically", and thought they might be fun for budget trip logging, as many times I dont have the proper GPS along to document where all I ended up on a random day's adventures... still shopping for a reliable cheap one of those.

Great topic actually.

Think in terms of "where can I hide the device" and keep in mind it will want a basic view of the sky, meaning, don't build it into your skid plate or center stand... it would easily "see" or shoot through the foam in a bike seat as an example...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
BigFella44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I used some gps trackers in our boat hire business. They were supplied by a bloke in Melbourne and I have to say they worked awesome. They gave you real time location, ground speed and if it were overlaid with google maps you could even see the road and intersections they drove through. Yes they consume power, not heaps. They would easily last a week without starting the bike.
Heres their website, or you can contact Steve direct via his email:

Steve Pierrehumbert [steve@autotracking.com.au]

http://www.autotracking.com.au/

I know we had an awesome deal with the monthly fee, have a chat to Steve I am sure he will look after us.

The Black Dog, "he comes and goes - I like it when he's gone but I know when he's coming"[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
BigFella44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Why hide it!! I put mine on the frame in front of the radiator scrubbed off the gps tracker and place a selected sticker on it and now it looks like it came with the bike. Sometimes the most obvious place is the last place you look.

The tracker that I mentioned above have no monthly fees as I bought a yearly pre paid sim card with the lowest price ($30yr), because it's only sending SMS with the coordinates of the bike which you put into google earth. The location of the bike is rather close using GPRS triangulation.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,949
sounds awesome. the only question is whether you advise the cops on where your stolen bike is holed up with the thief, or do you get some mates together with an assortment of crowbars and pursue vigorous discussions with said thief, encouraging him (or her) to return the bike to its rightful owner...
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm sold. Just ordered one. I'll see how I go.. Thanks everyone. Might do a review on it for everyone once it arrives
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Just remember than any half decent thief will have a gps jammer on them. (can now be bought nearly as cheap as a tracker) you will only track the dumb shit opportunistic thief who wasn't prepared. But saying that I am still getting one for the car and bike!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post
I'm sold. Just ordered one. I'll see how I go.. Thanks everyone. Might do a review on it for everyone once it arrives
YES!!

REVIEW PLEASE

Not sure how this works- in terms of monthly fees etc. Also assuming you got the one of Chinavision listed above?

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
fatbloke49
Adventurer

B1.......
You are correct in your assumptions, it would be a very hard choice to make!! I hate thieving b#stards!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Buddy10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Several years ago at a rally 4 Harleys were stolen one night. One of the bikes had a GPS Tracker. The Cops were alerted, they followed the track (they didnt know all the bikes were all stashed in a van, but at least they had one, they pin pointed the van very quickly) all the way some 1800kms to Townsville, followed to a shed and busted a mob of thieving bastards. All bikes were returned.

Growing Up....... NEVER
Buddy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Just had a thought, the first china vision one that I couldn't get the link to work was water resistant. Just check that the one you are getting is water resistant. If not, put it in the air box because it doesn't need a clear view of the sky.

Good story above, you don't get many of those.....