Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
matador9 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Breaking in a Versys 1000

Hi all,
I've gone 600mi (well, 715) never going above 4000rpm, per owners manual. I know I need to take it to the dealer for an oil change and shakedown inspection, but since this is my daily ride, I'll likely put another 200 on this week before I can get yo the shop. Is this a problem? I suppose I can take the train to work instead, but that would obviously suck.

Thanks for any advice
-JW
matador9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador9 View Post
Hi all,
I've gone 600mi (well, 715) never going above 4000rpm, per owners manual. I know I need to take it to the dealer for an oil change and shakedown inspection, but since this is my daily ride, I'll likely put another 200 on this week before I can get yo the shop. Is this a problem? I suppose I can take the train to work instead, but that would obviously suck.

Thanks for any advice
-JW
Absolutely not.

You could have pushed it to redline (after it warms up) and do that oil change
1000 miles later and it would still be fine.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,579
Change the oil, adjust the chain, and let 'er rip. There is no need to go back to the dealer.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
matador9 OP
n00b

Thanks very much. It's my first new bike, and with the dent it put in my bank account I need it to last a long, long time. By the way, what is the difference between the Road Warrior and Beasts forums? I was going back and forth about where to post this, since I'm a n00b and prefer not to antagonize the locals before they've earned it.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,579
How do you like it so far? CycleWorld just did a nice review / comparo.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Change the oil, adjust the chain, and let 'er rip. There is no need to go back to the dealer.
Sure, if doesn't need the warranty.
At least in EU that's how it works.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
matador9 OP
n00b

@ Jim, SO VERY MUCH!

I was initially shopping for a V-strom, since I had heard good things about them. I was looking for a taller bike, since 90% of my riding is the daily 56mi commute in heavy SF Bay Area traffic, and my old bike, with its 26" seat, mostly had me looking at tail lights.
I went by my local shop to see what they had in inventory for used bikes, since I'd rather have someone else pay the depreciation on a new bike. He had a nice 2013 650 Strom, but I was looking for a 1000cc. That's when he pointed out the big, burnt orange Versys, and it was pretty much love at first sight. I had to wait a few weeks to put together the down payment I wanted, and I shopped hard for alternatives to make sure I wasn't just buying with my heart. The price was more than I wanted, but when I looked at depreciation for similar bikes it wasn't as bad as I feared. Obviously I couldn't get a used one, since I'm in the US (and worse, California, with our holier-than-thou emission standards).
I was a little apprehensive about the 7" boost in seat height, and when my wife saw me sitting on the showroom floor model she was frankly scared for me. The aluminum frame actually made it lighter than my old cruiser though, and while I can't flat foot on both sides, I haven't had a problem in stops or slow maneuvering with just getting my left flat or two-feet toes down.
I have dropped it once, sadly. It was on a steeply cambered onramp with a metering light, and I grabbed the front brake a little too hard and tipped right. I got my right foot down, and slowed the bike's fall, but had to bail at the end. Despite the terrain, I had no problem getting it back upright and pushed to the left shoulder where I could get around to the left side to remount. Got a ding on my right handgrip guard and gouged up the corner of one of my hard cases.
It is doing exactly what I want for the job though - much better visibility both to see what's ahead, and to put me up where drivers can see me a bit better. It has more than twice the HP and almost twice the torque of my old ride, so I'm having a ton of fun. Not dragging footpegs around corners anymore either, with the big increase in ground clearance.
My only gripe so far is the hand grips are smaller in diameter, which along with the change in riding posture puts a lot more pressure on my palms than I'm used to. I'll hopefully get used to that, or else look for some sort of aftermarket fix. My daughter want me to get a sissy bar for the pillion, since she loved to ride with me on the Shadow (one of the reasons I wanted a bigger displacement bike), but I'm going to wait a month or two on that as I learn how to handle this beast.
Oh, one other thing - I have learned that backing up is a pain in the ass with this size bike. Or in the shins, rather. When I lose traction with my toes, my leg whips hard into the foot peg. My shins are a mass of scar tissue from years of playing lacrosse fortunately, but I have gotten a few concerned looks when I wear shorts. If the lot is sloped or gravelly, I've been getting off and walking the bike into the space. Not a big deal.

matador9 screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 12:17 PM Reason: addendum
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
psyfalcon
n00b

My Ninja 300 had several loose bolts in the fairing, and I think a peg bolt.. I had an independent place go over it because its my first one. Your dealer might have been better than mine, or yours put together better (you'd hope, with the price difference), but take a couple allan keys to it.
psyfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Go around the bike and check everything over. Could have been a heavily hungover 19 yr old putting the bike together.

Congrats btw...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Thanks very much. It's my first new bike, and with the dent it put in my bank account I need it to last a long, long time. By the way, what is the difference between the Road Warrior and Beasts forums? I was going back and forth about where to post this, since I'm a n00b and prefer not to antagonize the locals before they've earned it.
Road Warriors is for sport bikes, cruisers, sport tourers, touring bikes, etc... Pretty much anything designed/engineered to stay on paved surfaces.

Beasts is for the multi-cylindered bikes that are marketed for dual sporting purposes that do not fall into the BMW or KTM camp (V-Strom, etc...)
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
matador9 OP
n00b

Thanks psyfalcon and maggot, that was a good idea.

EffinNewGuy, I'd guess the Versys falls into the Beast category then. At least, the salesman I talked to about it went on for a bit about knobby tires and suspension travel. I said, "Good, when the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll still have some transpo."
Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Thanks psyfalcon and maggot, that was a good idea.

EffinNewGuy, I'd guess the Versys falls into the Beast category then. At least, the salesman I talked to about it went on for a bit about knobby tires and suspension travel. I said, "Good, when the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll still have some transpo."
The Versys is a road warrior. 17" front wheel etc... Just because you sit upright on a motorcycle doesn't make it a "beast". Just like the FJ-09 is a road warrior, etc.. A transalp is a beast, a Tiger 800XC is a beast etc... This bothers a lot of people around here but, you posted in the correct forum.

swimmer screwed with this post 06-30-2015 at 08:50 AM
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
matador9 OP
n00b

There we go. Thanks for the ruling, Swimmer.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 871
Easy fix on the hand/wrist pressure issue. I went with Rox risers and a pair of Grab-On sleeves.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Grip puppies work for me. I put them on my moto and they have made a big difference in comfort.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote