User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
EnergyGeek OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
R1100RS RID failure

I have a 1996 R1100RS which left me stranded with a dead battery over the weekend. When I went to turn the bike over I got nothing but the dreadful tic, tic, tic.

I noticed that the RID "Rider Information Display" was displaying full black bars for everything. My buddy brought a new BMW battery over and we decided to pull the fuse #3 for the RID while parked over night. I rode the bike up to SF to stay with friends. While returning home I notice that I had a blown tail lamp as well, any connection?

The battery seems to have drained rather quickly. I can't imagine that the RID draws enough current to kill the battery overnight. This battery was about 10 months old. I replaced it when I noticed the ABS was getting a fault.

Has anyone encountered this issue with the RID before?
Attached Images

EnergyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I know that if a dead battery is replaced with a new one and it goes dead, it ain't the battery. Also, all those electronic doodads require a certain minimum voltage and when they don't have it they go all haywaire apeshit crazy. So pay no attention to any of those things until the charging system is working.
That's all I got.
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
EnergyGeek OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The Lamp:
So it appears that the housing holding my rear right indicator has totally melted and deformed. After cranking the bike, turning the right turn signal on and then finally shutting off the ignition, the light stays on and becomes SOLIDLY lit. If I repeat the process with the left turn signal it turns off. I assume this is a relay issue and what lead to the battery draining over night. Any thoughts?

The RID:
I removed the RID and connected it directly to the 12V battery which I recently charged. No luck! I decided to open the RID to see if the buttons were jammed. Bingo! The RID seems to work although I can't seem to replicate the failure. I assume the buttons were already jammed and the display faulted after experiencing low voltage.

I seem to be smelling something electrical melting on the bike. Could a bad relay give off that smell?

EnergyGeek screwed with this post 10-06-2014 at 09:14 PM
EnergyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,385
You definitely could get that smell with a bad relay, and that similar situation. May be your turn signal module as well.

My suggestion would be to start by turning on the bike and feeling the relays for heat. See the chart. You might find the turn signal module the culprit in this. The RID may be a red herring to the real problem. The turn signal module uses a tiny bit of power, as does the RID, even with the bike off. The battery draw could have come from either, especially with a stuck button on the RID, but you have more issues than the RID.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote