Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #1486
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
They out run the camera helicopters on the long country roads. That's around 200mph, not on a track straight away but for miles at a time. Not much coverage here on TV, but what there is, is fantastic.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #1487
furious_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I wondered what maintenace requirements there are. My cbr250 required an initial valve adjustment at $360 and 600mi. I think it is every 8000mi. after that. I asked at the dealer and they said they thought the valve adjustment would be $390 on the 1100 and be the same interval as the 250. One vs. four cylinders the cost especially doen't seem right. Anyway, you would think there would be someone from Australia or Japan that would want to chime in on ADVrider. But then again they would get bombarded with 10,000 questions on this thread.
After the initial 600 mi adjustment, the check/adjust intervals on the CBR250 are 16000 mi. That was one of the selling points of the 250 to me !
An 8000 mi interval on the CB1100 does make me pause. It might not be so bad to check them myself and only bring it in if they need adjustment...

I do miss the no adjust hydraulic tappets of my long gone shadow and 750 nighthawk...

p.s. about the high price of the CBR250 adjustment.. changing those tappet shims is a royal PITA. After measuring I found that I needed 3 out of 4 changed at 600 miles and I could tell that I just wasn't up to the job... It's delicate surgery to get in there to drop the tiny shim into place. The mechanic who did the job showed me the tools that he used to do it.. including some very long curved surgical forceps. The hardest thing is that there is barely any room to maneuver the tools. It's even hard to get the rubber cover gasket on right even with sealant holding it in place.. The mechanic is earning their pay if any shims need to be changed out on that bike...

furious_blue screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:32 PM
furious_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1488
ARDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
It was sarcastic a comment about your requirement that a bike have anti-lock brakes.

Yeah, they're nice, but they're hardly a deal-breaker for most people.

I've locked up the front tires on street bikes plenty of times, mostly on dry pavements, and not ever thought that I would only buy bikes that had anti-lock from there on after. I think it is a stupid stipulation that a bike has to have it.
It really is none of your business if someone has a stipulation that a bike has to have ABS. It is a preference just like choosing to live in Florida. It may seem stupid to some people but it is really only the business of the person making the decision. Stupid stipulation, I think not but is my opinion. If you don't want ABS, don't get it I really don't give sh$t. I will get it regardless of the cost and will not consider a bike new or used without. Unless of course I am buying a older classic for my collection.
ARDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #1489
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDirt View Post
It really is none of your business if someone has a stipulation that a bike has to have ABS. It is a preference just like choosing to live in Florida. It may seem stupid to some people but it is really only the business of the person making the decision. Stupid stipulation, I think not but is my opinion. If you don't want ABS, don't get it I really don't give sh$t. I will get it regardless of the cost and will not consider a bike new or used without. Unless of course I am buying a older classic for my collection.
Considering my initial reply was a sarcastic joke, I do believe you're taking everything out of context here, and don't appreciate you trolling. I take it your new account is at 42 posts because your old account(s) got kicked from this site for beginning baseless arguments?

Carry on - you're good at it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #1490
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
I guess first bikes is like first women, your brain is branded forever!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #1491
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
I got a kick out of John McGuinness' recent comments:

"I'm really pro-ABS. I think every bike should have it. People say they don't want it. They stand in the pub and say they're better than ABS. But nobody is."

I'd love to see one of those guys put their skills up against those of McGuinness who can count 19 Isle of Man TT victories amongst his accomplishments.

Nevertheless, choosing whether or not to go with ABS comes down to personal preference. I'm just glad that ABS is an option on the CB1100 for those of us who would like to have it.

Did he have ABS on his TT bikes?

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #1492
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I dont have abs on mine, but if i buy a newer bike it will have abs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #1493
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post

So we are back to abs.. My god I wish this bike would break already.
But I now think abs is a good thing. I see no reason why company's should only make one version of a bike..I mean girls like to ride too..
Also all abs bikes should be pink..that way we can mock you from a distance
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #1494
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
I guess first bikes is like first women, your brain is branded forever!
Probably something to that. To me the UJMs and Cafes are "right."
Tripl Nikl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #1495
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Also all abs bikes should be pink..that way we can mock you from a distance
Gary
Ha! Wow!

I hope mine doesn't come painted pink!
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #1496
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Not much, but something on another forum. http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-honda-159081/
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #1497
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Not sure about the TT bikes. His endurance racing bikes have it.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #1498
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Can someone tell me why the valves need to be adjusted? OHC car and truck engines are not like this. Im living in the stone age I guess and have not owned a OHC engine in a long long time. I am not likink this much. Does anybody know for sure what the interval is?

Thanks for the ABS video. Its worth considering the way the people drive around my part of the world. I didnt realize it was that much better.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1499
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Not sure about the TT bikes. His endurance racing bikes have it.
Interesting, this is the first time I have ever heard about someone racing with ABS.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #1500
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Can someone tell me why the valves need to be adjusted? OHC car and truck engines are not like this.
Actually, most solid-lifter OHC car engines these days do have some periodic adjustment schedule, although it is often very long (100K+). Many spec a valve clearance check as part of the timing belt replacement. Some have an "audible check".

The reason car adjustment intervals are longer (or non-existent) is probably due to the fact that car engines are see lower stresses, both with respect to specific power output (hp per cc) and rev limits. Bikes, in general, have more frequent servicing intervals.

There are some OHC car engines with hydraulic lifters. And of course, most OHV/pushrod engines have hydraulic lifters. Hydraulic lifters with no valve adjustment intervals are common on cruisers and Honda briefly had a fling with them on a DOHC design in the mid-80's. But they're not in common use on high-performance OHC bikes due to RPM limitations and the tight space under the valve cover on a bike.

Quote:
Does anybody know for sure what the interval is?
For the third time, it is 8K miles on the CB1100's currently on sale in foreign markets. (As per the OM.)

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote