Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #1621
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
I believe if you look closely at the pictures on that site, all of the images of seats that are taller than the one we are receiving are actually aftermarket items.

Images have Noriwaki on them, not Honda accessories. Guess aftermarket. tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #1622
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
I believe this is the same guy who has the youtube video with the Pipemasters 4 into 4 exhaust. Just to dispel any delusions about those pipes and their availability, he mentions somewhere in his blog that he had the pipes custom made by Pipemasters, so they don't appear to be an off-the-shelf item. Too bad as they are far and away the best sounding exhaust I've heard on a CB1100. In any case you could probably obtain a set for yourself, but with the built-to-order status (and shipping from Australia) I'll bet they cost a very pretty penny indeed.
He quoted me four weeks delivery time. Cost $1580 US Plus $200 Freight.

They do SOUND good, but the Endurance Hi-Power Four pipes LOOK better.

I'm in a bit of a quandry over it...

Both of these cb1100s have the Endurance pipes.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #1623
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
I believe if you look closely at the pictures on that site, all of the images of seats that are taller than the one we are receiving are actually aftermarket items.
The writer of the blog himself says:

"Im 6 how will I go comfort wise? Yes you may want the higher seat that is available from Honda. It is factory part. I too am 6 and rode with the lower seat for some time however the higher seat really makes it more comfortable for people with longer legs."

And then he shows the picture I pasted above. It's the one he has on his bike. It's his bike in the photo (not the seat with the white piping). I can't imagine he'd call it a factory part if he knew otherwise, not sure what his reasoning would be.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #1624
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Images have Noriwaki on them, not Honda accessories. Guess aftermarket. tp
I guess we're starting to split hairs here, but in the blog he says the Noriwaki items are part of the Honda factory accessories catalogue, so I guess they're quasi factory items, but part of some factory accessory catalogue, just as there are probably some Mugen items in it. Either way, he obtained it from Japan and is calling it a factory part. Maybe it's somewhat like AMG was to Mercedes back in the day? He appears to at least be saying it's a factory approved part.

Bottom line is he was able to get one to Austrailia which is encouraging news for us, and not just as regards seats.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1625
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
He quoted me four weeks delivery time. Cost $1580 US Plus $200 Freight.

They do SOUND good, but the Endurance Hi-Power Four pipes LOOK better.

I'm in a bit of a quandry over it...

Ouch, that's some serious coin. Then again, not too out of line for what are in reality 4 separate exhausts.

I've got to disagree that the Endurance look better. I think the totally open-ended tailpipe on the Pipemasters is better and I even like the lines of the PMs better. The Endurance are a little TOO old school to my eye. All comes down to one's own taste I suppose.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #1626
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
You know it seems like an extraordinary amount of accessories are available for a bike that people are saying isn't a/won't be a sales success. Don't know that Ive seen anything like that before.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #1627
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I'm guessing that Scoobynut is right, these accessories are somehow being made available via Honda Japan. It would appear that the CB1100 has been pretty successful in Japan.

It also sounds like the CB1100 hasn't been a big seller in Australia.

What any of that will mean in the new markets that the big CB is entering (Europe, Canada and the USA) is hard to say. As stated by others, I'm not all that worried about it. I plan on buying the bike because it appeals to me, not because of what anyone else thinks of it. How much of a depreciation hit it takes hasn't really figured into my thought process either as I'm planning on hanging onto the bike, not on flipping it after a couple of years.

That said, I would like to see the bike sell in large enough volumes so that decent rubber will be available for it for years to come and maybe some other accessories will be produced by local manufacturers as well. I'm not going to hold my breath on the last one, but you never know as crazier things have happened. I think it all comes down to timing. Given the success that's been enjoyed by the likes of the Triumph Bonneville and the Moto Guzzi V7, Honda just might do okay with the CB1100. Truly only time will tell.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #1628
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm guessing that Scoobynut is right, these accessories are somehow being made available via Honda Japan. It would appear that the CB1100 has been pretty successful in Japan.

It also sounds like the CB1100 hasn't been a big seller in Australia.

What any of that will mean in the new markets that the big CB is entering (Europe, Canada and the USA) is hard to say. As stated by others, I'm not all that worried about it. I plan on buying the bike because it appeals to me, not because of what anyone else thinks of it. How much of a depreciation hit it takes hasn't really figured into my thought process either as I'm planning on hanging onto the bike, not on flipping it after a couple of years.

That said, I would like to see the bike sell in large enough volumes so that decent rubber will be available for it for years to come and maybe some other accessories will be produced by local manufacturers as well. I'm not going to hold my breath on the last one, but you never know as crazier things have happened. I think it all comes down to timing. Given the success that's been enjoyed by the likes of the Triumph Bonneville and the Moto Guzzi V7, Honda just might do okay with the CB1100. Truly only time will tell.
Like you, Guth, this one will be a keeper for me too. For about 5 years there I did a lot of bike swapping, but have matured to the point that I'm looking for a more permanent style relationship. Well, at least as far as bikes go.

I think Honda is employing a similar strategy to that employed by Yamaha when it released the Super Tenere, but without the Priority Delivery Program. A low volume strategy to keep the sale price and demand at a reasonable level with built-in profit for the dealers, and a lower-risk way to gauge what demand might be like after the initial year.

I think Yamaha sold what, 2,000 or maybe 3,000 Super Teneres its first year? But from everything I hear they consider the bike a successful new model. I think Honda is for a change managing expectations better than they have in the past with this model.

I really do hope the bike succeeds, but not too much, if you know what I mean -- the bike wouldn't be nearly so unique if the CB becomes as run-of-the-mill as a Harley. Not a Harley slam, but they ARE everywhere aren't they?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #1629
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,065
I agree that Honda wants the 1100 to succeed, but it's appeal may be some what limited to the baby boomer generation. They may be planning/expecting X amount of sales to break even on R&D and production/exportation costs. Since they are bringing out the CTX, CB500, and NC700 lines also, and appear to have a larger marketing budget for those lines, to a much broader buying group, just selling the 1100's sent to their dealers, may well be considered a success.

The 1100's are approaching the buyer from a nostalgic point. The other new lines, from an economic one, considering their relatively low selling points and high MPG ratings. One practical, one joyful and Honda understands that all too well...tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #1630
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977

That blue is AWESOME! It's like my old CB360.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1631
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
It's funny that so many of you are contemplating 4 into 4 pipes when the owners of the original SOCH4 bikes removed theirs and threw them in the woods in favor of 4 into 1 pipes.

I love this bike and have wondered for many years why Honda hadn't tapped into the old man market to compete with Triumph and Moto Guzzi. I like that it's not a direct tribute to anything but rather a composite of many different elements from Honda's old 4 cylinder bikes, SOHC and DOHC. Which is why I don't care too much for the vintage paint schemes made to look like the 1969 CB750.
Still, this bike will be a great template for things like that and I hope they sell enough of them that it won't be a sort of shame to customize.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #1632
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
It's funny that so many of you are contemplating 4 into 4 pipes when the owners of the original SOCH4 bikes removed theirs and threw them in the woods in favor of 4 into 1 pipes.
Ha! I remember those ads. "Kerker Kicks Ass!" If I were to get a CB (big "if" as I just got started modifying my Scrambler) I might consider 4-4 pipes but not at the expense of the C-stand. In terms of usefulness, C stand > 4-4 pipes. You would think that if the bike catches on, sooner or later somebody will come out with a 4-4 pipe that does not require c-stand removal.

Quote:
Still, this bike will be a great template for things like that and I hope they sell enough of them that it won't be a sort of shame to customize.
I hope it's a success as well, (and regarding the styling, I like it a lot - it's got enough styling cues of the old CB without being a copy, and it's modern and sleek enough to look "updated.)

Not only do I hope it succeeds in it's own right, I hope it spurs other Japanese manufacturers to explore "nostalgia" bikes of their own, and I hope it finally drives a stake through the heart of the horrible "chopper/Harley clone" trend.

I always thought it was a shame that the Japanese big 4 spend so much time and effort aping Harley Davidson's heritage, when they have such a rich and interesting heritage themselves. Ditto for Kawasaki and the W650 or W800. I get that it's a great copy of a classic Brit bike, but again, why copy somebody else's heritage and ignore your own?
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #1633
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post

Not only do I hope it succeeds in it's own right, I hope it spurs other Japanese manufacturers to explore "nostalgia" bikes of their own, and I hope it finally drives a stake through the heart of the horrible "chopper/Harley clone" trend.
+1 to that. Although I think it's an uphill battle so long as the majority of people who buy cruisers think long, low and 'chromed out' will help compensate for their pyschic desire to fit in with the skull and crossbones pirate hordes. Not saying all cruiser riders are like that, I've met 3 or 4 of them who seemed quite sensible.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1634
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,429
I like the looks of the black 4-1 pipe best. I have no idea what it sounds like, though. I have heard the 4 - 4 pipe on youtube, and it sounds sweet!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #1635
D8ona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
+1 to that. Although I think it's an uphill battle so long as the majority of people who buy cruisers think long, low and 'chromed out' will help compensate for their pyschic desire to fit in with the skull and crossbones pirate hordes. Not saying all cruiser riders are like that, I've met 3 or 4 of them who seemed quite sensible.
No wot you mean but....Cruiser riders are deffo not all like that...Ive got a Tiger 800, part share in a Monster 696 with the missus and my cruiser is a XL1200 custom because in a weird way it reminds me of old British bikes. Ive still got some hair up top, dont have a goatee and dont wear bandanas..still love the Harley bike vibe but we just stay on the periphery of the Hog scene though...its cool
back to CB1100, anyone ridden one who didnt like it?
D8ona is offline   Reply With Quote