Oddometer: 2,253
Look at that beauty!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #167
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post
I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new retro for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less.
Snipped some stuff out of the quote in order to play with this one particular sentence.

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new SPORT BIKE for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new CRUISER for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

"I'm trying to visualize who will buy a brand new ADVENTURE BIKE for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

Shall I go on, or do you get the point? A large availability of used bikes rings true for a lot of motorcycles. Lots of available used stuff for less doesn't stop people from buying new because they want.... uh....new. So those that want a new retro will pay the (reasonable) price Honda set for their CB1100.

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:55 PM
ShardPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #168
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,361
I really like it. If 85 hp isn't enough for the go fast crowd, and it probably is, especially with that suspension, they can opt for the CB1000R. More to the point, I like the approach Honda is taking here with these new bikes. It's a new financial world out there and not everyone can buy a $ 15,000 - $ 25,000 motorcycle. As the economy starts to really recover, these bikes will sell, maybe not the same in every market, but they will just the same. I trying real hard not to pull the trigger on the lil 250 dirt bike.....it's really cool and finally a dirt bike I can actually sit on. And only $ 4200 at my local dealer.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #169
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Look at that beauty!
Damn. That really is a good looking bike!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #170
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
I'll bet you a buck...
Deal!If you win, I'll ride to CO and deliver the winnings, and you'll show me some ADV-roads. If you win, ride to NJ and I'll show some roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
What about the ZRX or XJR1300 (off the top of my head)
ZRX had a very nice run (almost got one, but bought '01 FZ1 instead). Solid bike, though I don't see as many around as I used to. Don't think the XJR13 made it to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
.....However, I would think with the Cafe boom, this would possibly get a few younger riders into appreciating the bike. Modern, yet air-cooled and FI. Still offers the ability to slap some clubmans onto the towers and seems to have already generated aftermarket exhausts. I'm sure there are a bunch of Greaser, Rocker wanna-be's and hipsters that would oogle over this bike. I'm neither and I'm drooling.
... It's just a sexy bike
Have to tell you, I like your market analysis. You could be right. I just don't know how many of those guys/girls are. But then again, who would ever be able to completely reason through the HD's loooonnnggg run. Totally agree the bike looks great BTW. The tanks shape/color is the best I've seen of any retro bike. By alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Snipped some stuff out of the quote in order to play with this one particular sentence.

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new SPORT BIKE for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new CRUISER for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

"I'm trying to visualize who will buy a brand new ADVENTURE BIKE for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

Shall I go on, or do you get the point? A large availability of used bikes rings true for a lot of motorcycles. Lots of available used stuff for less doesn't stop people from buying new because they want.... uh....new. So those that want a new retro will pay the (reasonable) price Honda set for their CB1100.
I get the point that you're trying to make, but I don't think it applies at all to this bike's market and what I was trying to say.
But let me address each of you points directly because each one is very different.
---> This one's easy Young guys who want the newest/fastest/greatest. Or guys who need to replace the ones that they crashed.

---> Not easy to understand or explain, but very easy to see. Have you not witnessed the poser/AMEX HD crowd?

---> Another easy one. There is certainly NOT lots and lots of good used stuff on the market, at least by my experience. Oh there are used ADV bikes, but not tons, and the ones out there seem to be overpriced (exceptions include the VStrom), or beat to hell. Many riders in this segment that I know keep their ADV bikes seemingly forever. 'So the answer is riders who wan to get into the wonderful ADV segment. In other words --- the members of this HUGE forum.

If you have more unrelated examples, should I go on and respond, or do you get my point.

If I'm to distill your words (please keep me honest, I'm sure you will) you seem to suggest that the people who will buy this bike are ones who want old-looking(retro), but new-ish performing, at a reasonable price. Correct?

But that doesn't answer the core point of what I was saying -- who are these people? What are their characteristics and motivations? And why would they buy this bike instead of something else?

Have to say rbmgf7 did a very nice job sorting through the concept and I can see the possibilities a bit better now.

MCGMB screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 08:26 PM
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #171
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 139
This bike has every thing u need and nothing you don't, funny I have been trying to get my CB to be like this and frankly Honda did one better a forever classic
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #172
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
OK, I know we've been asking for this bike to come to the US (and Canada) for a few years, and now it's here .... but I gotta ask: will there be an "F" version, without the chrome fenders? And maybe an HRC replica silver/blue paintjob? I sold my silver/blue CB900F with Sport Control Kit over 26 years ago, and as much as I love this 1100, it's just not quite perfect.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #173
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post

I get the point that you're trying to make.....
I'm not so sure you did.

Let me try again, this time I won't put a specific motorcycle type.( I wasn't trying to do a break down of the demographics that buy into a particular bike type, simply that it's silly to question why people buy new when there's cheap used stuff. They want new, not used. Simple, yes? )

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new XXXXXXXXXX for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

I don't know how much it matters that there may be a lot of good used stuff on the market that may fill the same niche that this new offering from Honda belongs to. Some riders may not want a cheaper used something-or-other. They want a new CB1100, and so they'll buy it. Who this mystical "they" happens to be? Hell, I dunno. Probably people that want a new "retro" bike. Maybe drag these "theys" from the same primordial ooze from whence came Triumph Bonneville owners....
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #174
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Have to wonder how much more it'll be here than in the States. If it's less than 11K, I'll order one. If it's 9999 Stateside, you can bet Honda Canada will want close to 14K for it.
I think the Canadian prices have come way down last few years.

Check out the ST1300 cost :

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/touring/st1300a

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/st1300.aspx

Gold Wing:

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/touring/gold_wing

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/gold-wing.aspx

Must be some de-contenting in the Canadian ST1300 price, but still, not as bad as it used to be.

I bet the CB1100 will be 10% more in Canada.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #175
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
I'm not so sure you did.

Let me try again, this time I won't put a specific motorcycle type.( I wasn't trying to do a break down of the demographics that buy into a particular bike type, simply that it's silly to question why people buy new when there's cheap used stuff. They want new, not used. Simple, yes? )

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new XXXXXXXXXX for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

I don't know how much it matters that there may be a lot of good used stuff on the market that may fill the same niche that this new offering from Honda belongs to. Some riders may not want a cheaper used something-or-other. They want a new CB1100, and so they'll buy it. Who this mystical "they" happens to be? Hell, I dunno. Probably people that want a new "retro" bike. Maybe drag these "theys" from the same primordial ooze from whence came Triumph Bonneville owners....

One of the major factors when considering a new bike for $ 10,000 vs a used bike for $ 7,000-8,000 is credit. Hard to find good cheap financing on a used bike, whereas Honda will be financing that bike at a great rate. So initial outlay will be less cash to ride it home.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #176
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahbaby View Post
Makes me miss my old 78 KZ650C. God I loved that bike. I wonder if Vetter will start making Windjammer fairings again.

Surely you wouldn't bugger up that bike by putting a fairing on it !!!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #177
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/11/finally-coming-to-america-2013-honda-cb1100-priced-at-9999/

Can't find good numbers.
Seems low on power and high on weight.

Beautiful bike though. And a resonable price.
I dunno, it says 1140cc inline 4 - should put out enough to cruise around comfortably on.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #178
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Damn. That really is a good looking bike!
Very, very nice. Pure motorcycle with no wierd styling add-ons.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #179
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
One of the major factors when considering a new bike for $ 10,000 vs a used bike for $ 7,000-8,000 is credit. Hard to find good cheap financing on a used bike, whereas Honda will be financing that bike at a great rate. So initial outlay will be less cash to ride it home.
Yep. If total cost of the bike at the end of the term is less for new, then why not buy new?
I know a lot of banks like Wells Fargo don't even offer loans on bikes, and most that do won't even touch a used bike.

If you have cash or equity in another bike(s) and can aggregate their value into a good used bike, then it's sensible to buy used. But, most people don't. And that's where Honda has really hit the mark in pricing and bike type here. There's nothing on the market like this bike, and it's priced so that a guy who jerks coffee at Starbucks can buy one, if he has good credit.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #180
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,014
the cb1100 is drop dead gorgeous! I don't see how any old fart like me would NOT be tempted to own one.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote