ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #1801
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest Ohio
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yeah.

Germans...
spent 13 days motorcycle touring Europe two years ago. Never saw a German motorcyclist that looked like he gave a hoot about mileage. They ride seriously fast over there.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #1802
Oldgoat01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 88
P T Barnum was right...this is my minute

As in a sucker is born every minute. I went ahead and placed my deposit for an ABS variety. Was told April but the dealer also said you never really know. I was their first CB1100, which surprised me a bit. I had the pleasure of sitting on one for about 5 secs at the IMS and even though a tad tight (6' 32" inseam) it fit OK. Not that anyone cares about my thought process but maybe it will help confuse others in the same way that this thread has confused me.

I looked at a rode the Guzzi V7 Stone. If I could have multiple bikes the Guzzi would have a place in my stable. I can understand the enthusiasm owners have for these as the bike is so very visceral. You can feel the rumble (had Agustini exhaust) deep in your gut and the movement of the cylinders in the spine. Wonderful bike but cramped for me (my legs actually cramped twice on the ride and trying to standup to relieve it was problematic) Likely a few adjustments would have resolved it.

I looked at the Triumph classics but I liked the look of the V7 (and shaft drive) better and they just didn't feel good sitting on them so I saw no reason to test ride. I also looked at and road the Tiger 800 roadie (coming off a BMW X-country, this bike was a logical upgrade). The opposite of the Guzzi in terms of engine. I can't fault anyone that loves that triple. Silky smooth. Bike handles great, lots of power and would have been my choice if I decided to stay with a more adventure style bike. In fact if things don't work out I'll probably go that direction.

Alas, I decided on the Honda. All of the negatives on the bike were largely irrelevant to me. 1) Tank too small- my X-country had a 2.5 gallon tank and that was fine for the type of riding I do 2) Honda won't sell enough and drop the line here - I had an X-country for God's sake. Other than the X-moto, BMW probably set a record for dropping a bike. Plus I was looking at a Guzzi with its extensive dealer and support network. Heck even Triumph ain't much to brag about when it comes to support network. I figure it's a Honda, there will always be dealers, and it will be well built. 3) It's only got 80 HP (At the IMS I heard someone say in a loud voide so everyone could hear "Can you believe that 1100ccs and less than 90 HP. Who would buy that?") - Can I go 75 and still have enough to pass a car? I'm confident it can. 4)- It's too small - OK that has me a bit concerned but I figure with a thicker seat and risers I can adjust enough if needed and since I sat on it I know I'm talking at most an inch here an inch there.

When I bought my X-country I thought it was a beautiful bike that could do anything I needed. And I was right (I think BMW really missed on marketing that bike). When I look at the CB, I see and feel the same things.

Maybe PT was right but at least this sucker has a smile on his face

Now I just need you other suckers to be the guinea pigs and sort through the accessories for me, specifically panniers and wind protection so I'll know what to (and not to) buy.
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1803
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01
even though a tad tight (6' 32" inseam) it fit OK. Not that anyone cares about my thought process
Hey, that's me too. 6' and 32" inseam. I had the same insight. Just thought you'd like to know someone cares about your thought process.
__________________
"If they would have made this 15 years ago... Well, I would have killed myself to death actually. But what fun while it lasted." -lagcam

kraven screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 05:58 PM
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1804
rider33
Studly Adventurer
 
rider33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The Wilds of Western Wisconsin
Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01 View Post
....... 2) Honda won't sell enough and drop the line here - I had an X-country for God's sake. Other than the X-moto, BMW probably set a record for dropping a bike. Plus I was looking at a Guzzi with its extensive dealer and support network. Heck even Triumph ain't much to brag about when it comes to support network. I figure it's a Honda, there will always be dealers, and it will be well built. .
I think it will do better than many people might imagine, its a very nicely built bike. If not, it' will become rare and likley hold its value about as well as my W650 did. In the mean time Honda is one of the best supported bikes out there and this has been in production for several years so I doubt parts or service are going to be an issue. In the end, you buy the bike that speaks to you. Fail to check that box first and the rest of it never really matters.
__________________
“many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased”- Steinbeck
rider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #1805
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 861
A little comparison

As has been mentioned here, some are saying $10k is too expensive, 88HP isn't enough, etc, etc... I decided to check out an equivalent size roadster, and chose the R1200R.

It has more HP, 110. It has fancy suspension both front and rear, It has easier to find 17" tires, and it sells for $13,975.00 plus any accessories. It will do 125+mph, but I'll bet the 1100 will too, but who wants to travel at those speeds on a nekked bike for any length of time? It is a beautiful bike, if you like the BMW look, which I do, but is not a beautiful retro, like the 1100.

For someone who wants a standard, go most anywhere, inexpensive to own and ride motorcycle, the 1100 is the perfect machine. Not as fancy as the 1200R, but with a $4+K difference in price, that 4 into 4, $3,000 exhaust system could be added, and still have money left over for hundreds of gallons of gas to enjoy.

I have an R1200RT, a great motorcycle, but if my choice was between a CB1100 or an R1200R, I'd go with the 1100 every time, and know what a great deal and motorcycle I owned. tomp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #1806
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Plungerhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Oddometer: 108
I LOVE IT!!!
120+pages on a bike that no one has ridden yet. Honestly, I hope Honda DOESN'T sell a lot of these bikes. It just adds to the appeal.
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #1807
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
I LOVE IT!!!
120+pages on a bike that no one has ridden yet. Honestly, I hope Honda DOESN'T sell a lot of these bikes. It just adds to the appeal.
Either its appeal or its demise, which most hope won't happen to the 1100.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1808
dpg
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
I LOVE IT!!!
120+pages on a bike that no one has ridden yet. Honestly, I hope Honda DOESN'T sell a lot of these bikes. It just adds to the appeal.
Yes that is halarious.

The R1200r really got my attention too. Sat on it and it just felt too big. What an awesome bike though. BMW is also coming out with a retro bike this year. It looks like it may be the real deal too. The v7 was mentioned too and I was even more smitten with that. Just thought it was the end all in pictures and character and everything. Kept riding different variations of them and thought the stone would be it for me. Saw it in person but when I sat on it I thought it just didn't feel right. Duh, its the same bike I rode and it just didn't do it for me. Of course the same might be true once I finally set eyes on the 1100. But I have a hard time getting away from Honda, cars or bikes. Honda just does it for me. It actually took me a while to warm up to the 1100 but the money has been put down now so I think you know how I feel. Oh BTW, the German website is: http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CHYQ7gEwCQ


There is a little information on the above German website as I said previously. It is funny how similar the observations are but truly halarious how some of the post are translated. Kind of interesting in many respects. Maybe we should all just move our conversation over to that forum since they are actually riding the 1100 already. Who will be the first? I'm sure the poor google translation will make for some interesting banter.


....and now for something completely different!
Lego cb1100



Again coincedental but I am also 6'0, 32 inseam. Sounds like that is the outer limits for ergos, stock anyway. Easy to change if needed I would think. I will say that there is certainly a common thread between the taste and priorities of the people that seem interested in this bike. And even though it should be common sense, I am still a little surprised about the apparent similarity in other bikes considered along with the 1100 by fellow posters. Bonneville, thruxton, v7, duc gt1000 and monsters, sportster, r1200(x), etc.

BMW retro. Notice proper suspension on front end, spoke wheels and very attractive tank, and shaft drive.

dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #1809
dpg
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01 View Post
As in a sucker is born every minute. I went ahead and placed my deposit for an ABS variety. Was told April but the dealer also said you never really know. I was their first CB1100, which surprised me a bit. I had the pleasure of sitting on one for about 5 secs at the IMS and even though a tad tight (6' 32" inseam) it fit OK. Not that anyone cares about my thought process but maybe it will help confuse others in the same way that this thread has confused me.

I looked at a rode the Guzzi V7 Stone. If I could have multiple bikes the Guzzi would have a place in my stable. I can understand the enthusiasm owners have for these as the bike is so very visceral. You can feel the rumble (had Agustini exhaust) deep in your gut and the movement of the cylinders in the spine. Wonderful bike but cramped for me (my legs actually cramped twice on the ride and trying to standup to relieve it was problematic) Likely a few adjustments would have resolved it.

I looked at the Triumph classics but I liked the look of the V7 (and shaft drive) better and they just didn't feel good sitting on them so I saw no reason to test ride. I also looked at and road the Tiger 800 roadie (coming off a BMW X-country, this bike was a logical upgrade). The opposite of the Guzzi in terms of engine. I can't fault anyone that loves that triple. Silky smooth. Bike handles great, lots of power and would have been my choice if I decided to stay with a more adventure style bike. In fact if things don't work out I'll probably go that direction.

Alas, I decided on the Honda. All of the negatives on the bike were largely irrelevant to me. 1) Tank too small- my X-country had a 2.5 gallon tank and that was fine for the type of riding I do 2) Honda won't sell enough and drop the line here - I had an X-country for God's sake. Other than the X-moto, BMW probably set a record for dropping a bike. Plus I was looking at a Guzzi with its extensive dealer and support network. Heck even Triumph ain't much to brag about when it comes to support network. I figure it's a Honda, there will always be dealers, and it will be well built. 3) It's only got 80 HP (At the IMS I heard someone say in a loud voide so everyone could hear "Can you believe that 1100ccs and less than 90 HP. Who would buy that?") - Can I go 75 and still have enough to pass a car? I'm confident it can. 4)- It's too small - OK that has me a bit concerned but I figure with a thicker seat and risers I can adjust enough if needed and since I sat on it I know I'm talking at most an inch here an inch there.

When I bought my X-country I thought it was a beautiful bike that could do anything I needed. And I was right (I think BMW really missed on marketing that bike). When I look at the CB, I see and feel the same things.

Maybe PT was right but at least this sucker has a smile on his face

Now I just need you other suckers to be the guinea pigs and sort through the accessories for me, specifically panniers and wind protection so I'll know what to (and not to) buy.
Great post! Thx.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #1810
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
NORTH AMERICA HAS SEEN ITS FIRST CB1100!!!!!! IN CANADA, ALBEIT, ALBERTA. ABS TOO. I don't know how that correlates to anything in the U.S. but it can't be bad news I wouldn't think. Come to think of it, it makes a lot of sense for Honda to get the bike out so we can get the word and the reviews and the praise out so that more people will gain interest. Wow, I am rambling but I don't care. Wahooooo!

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ462486214

Edit: oops, too excited. I said there in North America, I meant they are.....awe who cares.
They want $14759 Canadian for it. Who in their right mind living in Canada would pay that when they can cross to the U.S. and get it for around $10,000. I agree in buying locally, but almost 50% more, no way.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #1811
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 861


This is a retro boxer. I had an '86 R65 monoshock, beautiful but not popular. The R75 is air head wonder, to me.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #1812
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Tripl Nikl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Western Washington
Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
BMW retro. Notice proper suspension on front end, spoke wheels and very attractive tank, and shaft drive.

Wow, it's a good time to be into standards! There's so much more in this market than just a couple of years ago even.

If that teaser and this...



... are anywhere near where the Beemer ends up--I dig it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I've got my DR650--it's a great, practical bike. And I could dirt knobbies on it and make it more of a off-road oriented bike without having too much overlap in the MCs. I'm pretty darn stoked!!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #1813
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,449
I agree that it's a great time to be an American who is into standards.
I find myself wanting a different bike every day. Guess I need to build a bigger garage first.
__________________
"If they would have made this 15 years ago... Well, I would have killed myself to death actually. But what fun while it lasted." -lagcam
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #1814
Oldgoat01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Hey, that's me too. 6' and 32" inseam. I had the same insight. Just thought you'd like to know someone cares about your thought process.
I see you are in Asheville. I'm in Charlotte so if you get one, I'll drive up there AND make the call to Guinness so they can confirm the record for the most CB1100's in the same location! Then we can have a Guinness!
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #1815
Oldgoat01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Either its appeal or its demise, which most hope won't happen to the 1100.
In my feeble way of thinking, I am fine with the demise. The only negatives to its demise are lack of on-going product support and lack of aftermarket products. I'm not at all worried about the first (on-going support). It is a Honda after all with a huge dealer network. As for aftermarket products, I'm just not a big farkler (is one who farkles a farkler or a farkerator?) Now if tons of stuff comes out, I may add bits and pieces but all I really need is some sort of luggage system, windshield and heated grips. If the volumes are small my selection will be small and, therefore, the price may be higher but I'm OK with that.
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014