Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #181
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep. If total cost of the bike at the end of the term is less for new, then why not buy new?
I know a lot of banks like Wells Fargo don't even offer loans on bikes, and most that do won't even touch a used bike.

If you have cash or equity in another bike(s) and can aggregate their value into a good used bike, then it's sensible to buy used. But, most people don't. And that's where Honda has really hit the mark in pricing and bike type here. There's nothing on the market like this bike, and it's priced so that a guy who jerks coffee at Starbucks can buy one, if he has good credit.
Exactly. When I was shopping for my first new bike (at age 24), none of my local banks would give me a loan, citing short credit history and a limit of $2500 for a recreational vehicle.

If Honda has easy credit to give to folks wanting a bike, as did Harley-Davidson, these could be good sellers.
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #182
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Reviews!

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...ide-30133.html

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...nda-CB1100.htm

My review (having not ridden it, but being very interested in it): Like it a lot. Seat excites me because it's flat for rider and passenger. Fuel capacity is too small, which is sad because it would make a nice tourer. Engine state of tune appeals to me (lots of torque), although I wish it were a 750-900 cc. Looks good, although I wish the looks were a little more retro and less 80's bland.

Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #183
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
The demographic this bike is going to be most appealing to can afford new. The 40-55 year age group that grew up on UJM's and are ready to move on from sport bikes and want a little nostalgia to remind them of that old CB900f or the GS1100e that provided them thrills when they were 20. I think it's perfect timing. We will see I guess. Were I in the market for a new bike this one would be at the top of my list.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #185
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
I'm not so sure you did.

Let me try again, this time I won't put a specific motorcycle type.( I wasn't trying to do a break down of the demographics that buy into a particular bike type, simply that it's silly to question why people buy new when there's cheap used stuff. They want new, not used. Simple, yes? )

"I'm just trying to visualize who will buy a brand new XXXXXXXXXX for $10-11k when so much good used stuff is out there for much less"

I don't know how much it matters that there may be a lot of good used stuff on the market that may fill the same niche that this new offering from Honda belongs to. Some riders may not want a cheaper used something-or-other. They want a new CB1100, and so they'll buy it. Who this mystical "they" happens to be? Hell, I dunno. Probably people that want a new "retro" bike. Maybe drag these "theys" from the same primordial ooze from whence came Triumph Bonneville owners....
It seems you really want me to agree (capitulate) with your point about buying new vs used, and how there will always be some consumers who want one vs the other, OK, I completely agree with that, though I never refuted that concept, just the market examples you brought up...

...examples of which always make the difference in quanties of sales. Otherwise we wouldn't have some models that succeed spectactularly, while others fail miserably. That's what I was trying to get at (who ARE these people that will buy this bike) in my earlier post -- the one you butted into and quote-clipped, and attempted to change the frame of argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
....They want a new CB1100, and so they'll buy it. Who this mystical "they" happens to be? Hell, I dunno. Probably people that want a new "retro" bike. Maybe drag these "theys" from the same primordial ooze from whence came Triumph Bonneville owners....
See now, had you started your response with this to begin with, we would have gotten along splendily form the start.

Have to say, the posts from others did open my eyes on the type of riders that might actually put $$$ up and buy this model --- it is a great looking bike --- I just don't know if there's enough out there.
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #186
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I think it needs a tank with chrome side panels...

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #187
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Marketing is not about building something that everyone likes, it's about building something that enough people feel strongly enough to act upon. Motorcycle demo's are getting older and most of us cut our teeth on bikes like these. There are more than enough pirate & power ranger options out there. New bike buyers enter the market for different reasons than classic bike buyers and the world of new standards is fairly limited in the states right now tho Triumph has done quite well with the Bonnie line. Compared to a T100 I'd say this thing is well priced and will likely do well. Poor Kawasaki, by the time they figure that all out and bring the W back in they'll have missed the window, but again. Timing is everything and I think Honda nailed it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #188
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
Timing is everything and I think Honda nailed it.
I think you are dead-on.

50 somethings, like me, will eat this bike up
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #189
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
Very, very nice. Pure motorcycle with no wierd styling add-ons.
Exactly. The more I look at it, the more I'm digging it! I love that shade of red they're using too....just gorgeous. I haven't been this excited for a bike since my 83 GS1100E.....now THAT was a mans bike!

If the pricing is right, I have a feeling one of these will make it into my garage..... I'd love to see honda do the same bike, but with the VFR1200 engine in it - a modern V65 Sabre.....ohhhhh momma!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #190
soaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Wink

This does it for me. Not so much to dump my Bonneville, but once some used ones are floating around... maybe.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #191
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
From what I can see Honda got it right with that CB1100.

I believe it will have a following with the trend setter crowd and here is why:

The frame looks nice and the engine looks great. It is clean and full of potential for customization.

The Harley Sportster is popular for this reason as is the Truimph Bonnevilles. Of course the other "cool" bikes are the old Honda CB's and the old Yamaha XS650's. What they all share in common is simplicity and economy in form and aesthetics.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #192
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Look at that beauty!
Toss a pair of soft bags over the seat, and that puppy will take you anywhere.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #193
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,273
I just hope those clamoring for this bike in the States will go out and buy evey one they send here. Perhaps then Honda will send over a few of the other bikes they've been keeping from us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #194
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
Marketing is not about building something that everyone likes, it's about building something that enough people feel strongly enough to act upon. Motorcycle demo's are getting older and most of us cut our teeth on bikes like these. There are more than enough pirate & power ranger options out there. New bike buyers enter the market for different reasons than classic bike buyers and the world of new standards is fairly limited in the states right now tho Triumph has done quite well with the Bonnie line. Compared to a T100 I'd say this thing is well priced and will likely do well. Poor Kawasaki, by the time they figure that all out and bring the W back in they'll have missed the window, but again. Timing is everything and I think Honda nailed it.
That's a nicely nuanced view of this-type bike, and the motorcycle market in general. And yeah, from what I've seen Triumph has done quite well in the segment. I hope the CB1100 succeeds -- it reminds me a lot of the 70's CB750 I occasionally got rides on when I was a kid. Very great memories.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #195
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
From what I can see Honda got it right with that CB1100.

I believe it will have a following with the trend setter crowd and here is why:

The frame looks nice and the engine looks great. It is clean and full of potential for customization.

The Harley Sportster is popular for this reason as is the Truimph Bonnevilles. Of course the other "cool" bikes are the old Honda CB's and the old Yamaha XS650's. What they all share in common is simplicity and economy in form and aesthetics.
I totally agree with the clean looks of the bike, and the potential for customization.

And earlier poster said he liked the bike, but preferred non-chrome fenders. I could see color-matched fenders of different styles being a nice factory or dealer option. HD has gone to the bank with that concept. Not sure if Honda does something similar with their Shadow lineup. I could see the path if Honda were to choose to do this. The CB's gotta sell initially to get that whole ball rolling though. Hopefully it does.