Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #2371
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
To ABS or not ABS? I could pick up a non ABS this weekend, or nab the first ABS that hits the state... What is the general consensus?
Don't know if this helps but: Used to ride along time ago. Never any instruction given my way. I remember sliding all around because I didn't have a clue how to brake correctly. I don't even know if I knew the bike had a front and back brake, lol. Fast fwd 20 years. Bought some scooters and learned proper braking technique by reading online. Ordered an ABS cbr250 but couldn't wait the extra month or two it was going to take to get the ABS model in and bought non-ABS. Almost every time I get on the bike I find a place to practice my emergency stopping technique. I lock up the wheels once in a while I try so hard to figure out the exact limits. It is a real hoot and I really enjoy practicing braking. I think it was a blessing so far not to get abs so that I took more interest in practicing my technique. I'm sure I am still far from being a pro at it. However, I just can't let go of the idea of wanting abs. First of all, I am scared that I will dump my bike practicing some time. Its not like you can't practice with abs but you won't have as much chance of dumping the bike due to skidding from overbraking. Plus abs is going to help me in a total panic stop or on gravel, sand etc. Let me rephrase that - It has the potential to help me a whole lot more than the potential to harm me by increasing braking distance as some might argue. So I pretty much will do what ever I can to help me get through my motorcycle need by using much of the latest technology available. I even have a hit-air jacket (air bag jacket). I don't ride at night much and I avoid the country during dawn and dusk. I won't use my bike much for commuting even though I would love to and I have a hi vis helmet as well as some padded under garment crap. I even ordered some motorcycle specific shoes even though I doubt they will protect me more than basketball hi tops. I don't have flashing lights or anything like that but you get the idea. My youngest is 6 years old so I feel the need to do what I consider necessary and prudent to help the odds fall in my favor. At other times in my life I would not feel the need to protect myself more than a t-shirt and jeans but I do feel like I owe it to him to take what I consider practical precautions for my situation. If ABS has the potential to save my bacon then it is worth a whole lot more than an extra $1000 to me. But everyone has to decide for themselves. I could see opting for more safety features or maybe even less in the future. When I see a guy with no safety equipment on I don't really think what a dumb ass. I usually think that guy must be in a horrible place in his life where he doesn't care or that guy must be in a great place in his life where he doesn't care.

Oh btw - White with silver engine - bad. White with black I am so glad we are getting the black engine.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #2372
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
To ABS or not ABS? I could pick up a non ABS this weekend, or nab the first ABS that hits the state... What is the general consensus?
I may be a fool but its not worth the extra money to me. I like them as simple as possible. I too have road a lot of dirt bikes and think I have a pretty good feel for things. Not saying that ABS cant save your bacon but I adjust for riding conditions mentally more so than in the past. To each his own though.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #2373
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #2374
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,698
Hijack removed

dogjaw screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 07:39 AM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #2375
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
well meaning no doubt but after 2,000+ replies, let's not turn this into an ABS thread. Now that the bikes are actually here (in the states anyway), for those of you lucky enough to snag one, let's hear some road reports, please!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #2376
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
well meaning no doubt but after 2,000+ replies, let's not turn this into an ABS thread. Now that the bikes are actually here (in the states anyway), for those of you lucky enough to snag one, let's hear some road reports, please
Yeah, can someone, please, for the love of God, post a video of them riding their new CB???
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #2377
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
you sound like my room mate who got a helmet, jacket and gloves before he ever got a bike!

Smart room mate !!!!

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #2378
blazeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
I stopped in at the Davenport , Iowa Honda dealer today to see if they had a CB1100 in yet. I was looking at the right side of the rear wheel on the one bike they have in which is a non-ABS model. It has rear ABS. It does not have ABS on the front wheel, only the rear. The manager agreed. It looks like the same sensor and ring that is on my 2012 BMW 1200 GS, except it is black on the Honda. Can someone who has one look and confirm?
I surmise it has been done for liability issues.

Not ABS, the rear ring is actually for the speedo. I just bought mine yesterday and asked the same question.
blazeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #2379
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
i drove by my Honda dealer. Theirs is still on the showroom floor. they were closed.. but i drooled all over the front door.. they may think they've been attacked by a rabid dog when they open up this morning..

oh yeah, and in white, they look amazing.. but the red is so close to perfect as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #2380
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
WOW! It seems i missed a lot since I left for work yesterday. Lots of great posts, and it seems some of you guys are getting your bikes real soon. Congratulations!

Now as far as shooting a video of my 1100 in action, how the hell would I do that? Neither me or my gf have a video camera. We both have Windows phones, do they have that capability? I'm a techno-doofus, seriously!
Jim
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #2381
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Yeah, can someone, please, for the love of God, post a video of them riding their new CB???
Yeah, I'd like to see some pov GoPro vid of the thing, with some decent audio.

I don't care what you suckers think about ABS, which salsa is the best, or who makes the best coffee.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #2382
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
WOW! It seems i missed a lot since I left for work yesterday. Lots of great posts, and it seems some of you guys are getting your bikes real soon. Congratulations!

Now as far as shooting a video of my 1100 in action, how the hell would I do that? Neither me or my gf have a video camera. We both have Windows phones, do they have that capability? I'm a techno-doofus, seriously!
Jim
Call your sales guy. The dealer probably has some camera equipment, or at least one employee who does hooligan shit or track days.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #2383
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,698
The IPhone shoots great video, transfers easily to ADV, at least with tapatalk... Would also love to see some vid shot of actual inmates on their CBs.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #2384
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,801
We received or first one today, still in the crate but will be on the floor shortly.

Okie
NC-Okie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #2385
chalayko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Gorgeous bike! Just needs one change to make it a complete retro bike for looks and sound, in my opinion, a 4 to 4 exhaust. Cliff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL6GmnRmI9o
chalayko is offline   Reply With Quote