Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #2506
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
I've never ridden without a helmet, but have wondered how the other guys who wear their turtle shell lids, or no protection at all, do it. As all of you have experienced, I've been hit on the face shield with large bugs at highway speeds where the impact literally knocked my head back.
Way back in the day when I was a young lad in my 20s, I was doing around 40 or so on my beloved CL450 and was hit in the chest by a some kind of bird.
The impact was such that it killed the bird and I had to pull over to catch my breath! It was one of those early lessons telling me I need to always ride with gear on.
Btw, I'm turning 59 in two months. Let's Ride!
One guy I was riding with once upon a time wore no helmet ever. He was way more concerned with "profiling" and looking the part. You know, the miami vice type. Anyway, we had road about 30 mile out of town to get a sandwich and it got dark on us. On the way home on a two lane state road we ran into a bug storm unlike anything I have ever witnessed. Nats were so thick in the air you could cut them with a knife. We all had to slow to probably 35-40 just to get through them. I was covered from head to toe in bugs and could hardly see and then I thought about my buddy Fred back there with only his sunglasses on.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I will never forget that. Thanks for the ride reports so far. The 1100 sounds like its a real jewel and I am quite surprised by one of the members here getting such good fuel mileage. Now get out there and ride them!

By the way, I am 50 so there is a bunch of old farts in this thread.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #2507
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Always nice to see a fellow fan of Zappa, M3.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #2508
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Thanks for the ride reports so far. The 1100 sounds like its a real jewel and I am quite surprised by one of the members here getting such good fuel mileage. Now get out there and ride them!

By the way, I am 50 so there is a bunch of old farts in this thread.
Yea there are a bunch of old guys in here. SALUT to you all!

I do realize that some of my posts have been a bit whiny regarding the weather and not being able to ride this beautiful new Honda, but
COME ON, MOTHER NATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give an old guy a break here!
Even though I'm headed to work after this post, there are going to be thunderstorms all day today and tomorrow too.
I only want my first "discovery" ride to be in conditions that does NOT include blistery winds and thunderstorms. One I get a couple weekends under my belt, and the newness wears off, I'll ride this young girl anywhere, anytime.
Good luck to you new owners out there, and keep those pics and reports coming.
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #2509
blazeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Picked mine up yesterday. Only got to put 38 miles on it as I had a bunch of other errands to take care of. I'll be out riding today. Heres a cell phone pic once I got home. I'm 56 and been riding since I was 7 . Love it so far and see no reason this will change.

blazeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #2510
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,758
The result of riding with my visor up; some stinging spawn of Satan hit me dead center between the eyes...

On the age issue, I'm 50, 5'6", ride a bicycle aggressively 25 miles 3-4 nights a week, still can't break 185; pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll live the rest of my life as a fire plug. The CB fit me like a glove, will prob have to snag on when the ABS comes in.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2511
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
LOL As a big Zappa fan in my youth (very underrated musician IMHO) I thought the exact same thing
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #2512
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Zappa, Enigo Montoya, V for Vendetta, Johnny Depp, Zorro, etc. I've heard them all...
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #2513
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

I also wonder how those guys enjoy riding with crap flying at their face. Of course, it's the same with those wearing t-shirt and shorts. When I was about 11, I went flying down a gravel hill on my bicycle and wiped out. I still remember the feeling of the stiff brush on my knees and elbows trying to remove the rocks and sand that were embedded in me. That followed by a health application of iodine. (No Bactine for us. If it didn't sting like hell, it must not be working) I'm always in a jacket and jeans. (Sidetrack here anyone have recommendations for a comfortable and cool pant that is more abrasive resistant than my heavyweight jeans?)

Finally, I'm 56 but do try to stay in good shape (lift, kayak, yoga, etc.) However, if one is active (and perhaps lacking in grace) you end up with torn rotators, repaired knees, bone spurs and etc. The good news is I can tell you when low pressure (rain) is headed our way
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #2514
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01 View Post
I'm always in a jacket and jeans. (Sidetrack here anyone have recommendations for a comfortable and cool pant that is more abrasive resistant than my heavyweight jeans?)
Me too, and some of the folks I ride with give me a little bit of a hard time about that. I've been thinking if getting Draggin' Jeans or some other kind of Kevlar jeans for quite a while now. The problem is I can't seem to find anyplace that has them in stock to try on. I prefer not to mail order clothing, but this might be a case where I have to, and make sure it's from a place with a good return policy.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #2515
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Well...I'm a very young 57.

I ride horses, lift weights, work out. I fight against my physical demise every day.

Buying new toys helps.

Man, I didn't know that was you..............I thought that was the dude from Harry Potter LOL.

Anyway, maybe at 44 years old I'm too young for this bike?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2516
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
thanks for the early ride reports, particularly the comments related to sizing. When I sat on the bike at the show this winter it felt a bit small (I'm 6'2"). I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I have seen a couple now in local shops and that was confirmed, for me at least I want to sit slightly behind were the rise is and the bars need to be and inch or two back and up as well. The tall seat and risers might help that but really, I think the sweet spot for this one may be 5'8" to 5'10" ( like damn near every other bike it seems). Oddly, on my 2001 W650 I never got that, it fit just fine. Like that bike the new CB is jewel-like, one of the best sorted out new bikes I've seen in quite a while. 'Congrats to all who have picked one up, its an instant classic.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #2517
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
thanks for the early ride reports, particularly the comments related to sizing. When I sat on the bike at the show this winter it felt a bit small (I'm 6'2"). I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I have seen a couple now in local shops and that was confirmed, for me at least I want to sit slightly behind were the rise is and the bars need to be and inch or two back and up as well. The tall seat and risers might help that but really, I think the sweet spot for this one may be 5'8" to 5'10" ( like damn near every other bike it seems). Oddly, on my 2001 W650 I never got that, it fit just fine. Like that bike the new CB is jewel-like, one of the best sorted out new bikes I've seen in quite a while. 'Congrats to all who have picked one up, its an instant classic.
At 6' with 32" inseam this is my concern, based on sitting on the bike for all of about 10 secs at the show. The seat pictured on this thread, which is completely flat, is supposed to add an inch or two. I may get that even if I discover the bike fits OK because on any extended ride, I like to move backward and forward on the seat. The flat seat eliminates the dip (hence the added height) plus what is more retro than that pillion strap?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #2518
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
The result of riding with my visor up; some stinging spawn of Satan hit me dead center between the eyes...

On the age issue, I'm 50, 5'6", ride a bicycle aggressively 25 miles 3-4 nights a week, still can't break 185; pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll live the rest of my life as a fire plug. The CB fit me like a glove, will prob have to snag on when the ABS comes in.
How EVER do you pick up chicks?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2519
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
You sayin' Tony Soprano can't get chicks? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me, huh?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #2520
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Luckily dogjaw is happily married and he usually looks a little better than that post sting look he was rocking. I'd love a cb1100 myself and I'm only 39. Don't think I'll be buying any new bikes for a few years, though, since I recently bought a big ol' F150. I don't know if the younger guys like me dig the old school look that much but I always have. I bought my Bonneville when I was 34 and owned a cb750 Nighthawk before that. I know I've never really liked the plastic look of sport bikes. My dad was a Honda guy before I was born and when I was a young kid, before he took a years long hiatus from riding. So I remember riding on the back of a Honda and looking down at those twin pipes and just thinking it looked right. Plus I heard the stories about the best bike he ever owned, the famous Black Bomber. I wish he still had that bike.