Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #2941
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb400four View Post
I've just finished my first day with my new CB1100, and I am quite happy with the bike.

Many people have written informative ride reviews on the CB1100; this review is slightly different as it compares the CB1100 to my relatively stock 1980 CB750F, a bike I ride often and a bike which shares the same inline four DOHC engine design as the CB1100. I was motivated to buy the CB1100 because I enjoy riding my CB750F but I wanted more modern brakes and reliability while maintaining the "look and feel" of the original UJM. As such, be forewarned: this is more of an intuitive and emotional comparison and not a table of specifications.

First the ergonomics: like some of the other inmates, I started riding in an era when UJMs with standard, relatively upright, ergonomics were common, and I personally favor this seating position. The seat height on the CB1100 is slightly lower than the CB750F, which suits me well but I'm sure some taller riders would want a higher seat (or a different motorcycle altogether). The instrumentation and controls are straightforward and have the Honda feel of quality; however, I would prefer if the bike had a visual gear indicator because on the CB750F if you lightly pull up on the shift lever and you feel no resistance, you are already in fifth gear, on the CB1100 this technique can't be used. The fuel indicator appears to be slightly pessimistic; combined with the relatively small fuel capacity (more than a gallon less than the CB750F) this requires more disciplined fuel planning. The seat is firmer on the CB1100 than the CB750F, and it is smaller as well -- and it has a pronounced ridge where the passenger area begins, making the usable area for the rider even smaller still. By comparison, the CB750F is like sitting on a sofa cushion. A really big flat sofa cushion.

Engine performance on the CB1100 is in many ways superior to the 750. Fuel metering is better on the modern bike, probably due to modern fuel injection. Roll-on performance is also better, as might be expected with a larger displacement bike. What is interesting is that experience of riding along at in-town speeds and then opening the throttle and going up through one or two gears yields the same inline-four sound and visceral feel (and inside the helmet ear to ear grin). It bears repeating: if you smile to yourself when you recall earlier days when you cracked the throttle on a big, inline-four UJM you should immediately go and buy this bike, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Both bikes are heavy, but at speed they feel much lighter. On brisk street riding, the CB1100 feels more agile than the 750, but the 1100 has better OEM tires and brakes than my stock CB750. The front brakes on the CB1100 are noticeably stronger and provide more control than the CB750. My CB1100 is an ABS model, and as a result the rear brake pedal provides less feedback than the non-ABS CB750's rear brake pedal. Of course, stomping hard on the old CB750F rear brake will provide the rider with plenty of eye opening feedback -- locking the rear wheel is possible if you intentionally exceed reasonable limits -- whereas the ABS system on the CB1100 just slows the bike down when you use the rear brake in an overly aggressive fashion.

In terms of style and fashion, the CB1100 and the CB750 both get attention when parked. The CB750 is a magnet which draws spectators who feel moved to offer personal stories which always start with "Man, I had one of those what a great bike" or "My brother (or insert any older male relative here) had one of those..." usually includes a story about a long ride with a buddy on a Kawasaki and then always ends with "Ahh, I sold it years ago...wife...kids...job...house...mumble mumble mumble...glad to see you kept yours in such good condition, have a good ride!" As such, I've begun to believe it is the CB750's place in people's personal history that makes it beautiful to those in the know, certainly not the garish orange pinstripes on the black tank. The CB1100 on the other hand is an attractive bike in its own right, with nice details and a beautiful paint job. Of course it additionally makes some wistfully think back to similar bikes from three decades ago.

So with all the above, what is the conclusion as I compare the bikes? Even today, the CB750F is a bike I'm happy to ride, especially when I have a minute to look down at the cam covers fully extending beyond the gas tank showing the inline four design I have appreciated for so long. But for me, the CB1100 is splendid and exceeds my expectations. It is not an exact replica of a historical bike, but that wasn't my initial expectation or desire. It is a unique modern expression of an era of bikes which I enjoyed at the time and continue to enjoy today.

Nice report, and you touched on one of the CB 1100 designers criteria " look down at the cam covers fully extending beyond the tank showing the inline 4 design" which is probably why ours carries a gallon less fuel.

Nice old 750 you have there
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #2942
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,697
thanks a lot, you knuckleheads; I had talked myself out of the CB1100 due to a friend selling a modded 07 Bonneville(Predator pipes, etc) for a ridiculously low price, now all of these reviews have me all hot and bothered again. what to do...
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #2943
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
One more observation, if I just bought one of these I'd put a coat of wax on the underside of the chrome rear fenders. The last bike I had with these showed a lot of rust within a few years. It is pretty visible on the 1100.

There, I must officially be turning into some kind of old fart. Does anybody really care what the underside of their fender looks like???
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #2944
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
There, I must officially be turning into some kind of old fart. Does anybody really care what the underside of their fender looks like???
I sorta do now.

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #2945
rainm40150
rainm40150

Oddometer: 2
another new one

A week ago I added a new CB1100A. S/N 000027. Reminds me of my 78 Suzuki GS1000E. Also purchased brand new and used for 10years and 80K miles. I'm 69 years old, 5'11', 170, 30''inseam, arthridic knees and shoulders, All the reviews here are very helpful. Only 250 miles due to springtime in the Rockies. Am now thinking about accessories. Wiring my streetpilot 2720 under the tank was a nasty job for these old fingers, very little space not used. Honda wiring harness is very tight and not flexible. Givi windshield on order but may be 3 weeks. Next thing is a luggage rack. Honda rack is way pricey and too much chrome. Need a black one to hold the tail bag. Miss the cruise control from my GL 1800. May need to find a way to lower footpegs due to old knees. No need to post pics as mine looks like every other one. 30+ motorcycles and this is as likes to be as fun as any toy I have had.
rainm40150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #2946
johnnymck
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New CB1100 number 0654

I bought a new CB1100, #0654 I had a 1970 750 waaaaayyyback when. Sold it for a new 1976GL1000
I just traded in a 2009 Royal Star Venture which weighed 869 lbs. The 1100 feels like a 650 Savage I had a couple of years ago, only it has guts. The 1100 feels like a CB750F only faster and smoother, and more refined. And newer. What a nice bike.
60 years old 6'1" 220 lbs 32 inseam and I wish I had a taller seat, but that will be here in the future. I rode it about 250 miles so far. more later. i have to go.

Ok now here is how it is to me. Smooth and powerful. I say it is like connected to your brain, as you just move the throttle and it is already going. No lag, no hesitation, just go. The clutch and transmission are almost like an automatic it is so smooth.
Big ol stainless exhaust will probably out last the bike, I can't image rust or burn through here. I have not had mine over 5000 RPM yet, but I read somewhere it has an interactive exhaust valve. Does it open/louden up at higher rpms or back pressure?
I am tall enough ( +heavy enough) that I could use a taller seat, but it's ok for now. Anyone ever use a gel pad? I would like to get a carrier rack but I am not sure I would pay $250 plus for one. Somebody could make one out of steel and paint it black and sell a bunch of them.
Some say it is heavy, but it's like a sport bike after riding a Royal Star Venture. It leans turns stops great. I know there are faster bikes but this feels great to me. I'll check out the red Honda CB1100 fairing if they ever show up, I think they look good in the pics.

johnnymck screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 03:26 PM
johnnymck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #2947
dogjaw
plays well alone

"I have to go"...

Now there's a dead giveaway that we are a bunch of old farts
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #2948
cb400four

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
thanks a lot, you knuckleheads; I had talked myself out of the CB1100 due to a friend selling a modded 07 Bonneville(Predator pipes, etc) for a ridiculously low price, now all of these reviews have me all hot and bothered again. what to do...
Dogjaw, you could always get both!

cb400four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #2949
dogjaw
plays well alone

That'll will be quite enough of the showing off, thank you very much... That is a sweet duo; how do they compare? I've ridden both, but not back to back, looks like you have a unique perspective. My impression is that the CB is more refined, the Bonnie is more visceral, especially with those pipes.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #2950
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Will this thread now die as others join 1100 forum? Just want to go where the action is... tp
A FORUM for this specific bike will undoubtedly draw more participants than a THREAD on another designs forum. I expect this thread will lose its appeal eventually but personally at this point, I'm still participating in all 3 ... This one, the UK one and Guth 's forum.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #2951
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Congrats Guth on opening up the new forum. Nicely done. I'm sure you will get world wide followers. When the modding starts, the forum should really take off.
tomp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #2952
greywolves
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 93
"…And thank you to Honda, well done."

So my question to you Dav101, my good man is:

How does the CB1100 compare to the CB1000R?
These are 2 bikes on my short list and the 1000R gets RAVE reviews so IF you gotta choose one???

Thanks
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #2953
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainm40150 View Post
A week ago I added a new CB1100A. S/N 000027. Reminds me of my 78 Suzuki GS1000E. Also purchased brand new and used for 10years and 80K miles. I'm 69 years old, 5'11', 170, 30''inseam, arthridic knees and shoulders, All the reviews here are very helpful. Only 250 miles due to springtime in the Rockies. Am now thinking about accessories. Wiring my streetpilot 2720 under the tank was a nasty job for these old fingers, very little space not used. Honda wiring harness is very tight and not flexible. Givi windshield on order but may be 3 weeks. Next thing is a luggage rack. Honda rack is way pricey and too much chrome. Need a black one to hold the tail bag. Miss the cruise control from my GL 1800. May need to find a way to lower footpegs due to old knees. No need to post pics as mine looks like every other one. 30+ motorcycles and this is as likes to be as fun as any toy I have had.
Wow number 27. That is low! Congrats. 69 years old? Good on ya brother. I have a goal to ride till I'm 70. I think you are going to easily pass that up.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2954
GSAviator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
71 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Wow number 27. That is low! Congrats. 69 years old? Good on ya brother. I have a goal to ride till I'm 70. I think you are going to easily pass that up.
Good luck! I turned 71 in Jan, and I bet I'm the oldest owner of a CB1100. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon (God willing).
Doc Holliday: I don't.
GSAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #2955
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Wow, I'll be 63 in May and looking at your ages, I hope I have years of riding ahead, too. A great week to all and ride 'em if you got 'em... tp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote