Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #3031
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
Cb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
You can't go back in time, and you can't have everything.

That said, I respectfully disagree on your observation that the cb1100 looks worse than the older bikes. It looks better. And, it is a better bike.
I agree I like retro to a point. The CB 11 is not only a looker but a way better motorbike.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #3032
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
You can't go back in time, and you can't have everything.

That said, I respectfully disagree on your observation that the cb1100 looks worse than the older bikes. It looks better. And, it is a better bike.
Yep, we all like different things. For most of us who liked this bike enough to actually buy one, it's going to be mighty hard to convince us that this new CB is anything but absolutely beautiful in our eyes.

I have no problems with those who aren't as enamored with the CB1100 as I am. They just need to keep in mind that statements to the effect that the another bikes styling blows the new CB1100 all to hell is simply their opinion. It's obviously not mine, but there's no need for everyone to agree on such things.

May 10th isn't that far away!

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #3033
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016

Honda built some beautiful bikes back then, for sure. I had one of these in '71. An SL350. A lot of work was done to the engine, and it was a screamer for a 350 twin.

Some great resto work is being done today. Check the link below...
http://www.marblesmotors.com/MP1970HondaSL350.htm
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #3034
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
KLR rider test rides a CB1100

I'm not a CB1100 owner "yet", but I did get the chance to test ride a CB1100 this past Saturday at DFW Honda in Grapevine, TX. I ride a '99 Kawasaki KLR650 single dual sport, so I thought my observations of the CB1100 might be helpful to someone.

First, I am 56 yrs old, 5'8" and 175 lbs. The KLR is very tall and top heavy for me. I can barely tip-toe, but I recently had some foam cut out of the seat which helps. It is a single, which makes it very "vibey" in the footpegs and bars. But, it was a great reentry bike since most of my background was riding dirtbikes. Most of my riding is commuting and short trips (50-100 miles) around DFW. I have never had the KLR offroad.

I've been looking to get a different bike with two criteria: multiple cylinders and lower seat height. I've looked at and test rode the Kawasaki Versys, Triumph Bonneville, Scrambler and Tiger 1050, HD Electra Glide and 1200 Sportster. But, none have been THE BIKE for me.

When I heard about the CB1100, I got excited. I grew up riding Hondas but I never owned anything bigger than a 175. The inline four really appealed to me along with the retro good looks. Plus Honda is everywhere for parts or service.

My first impression of the bike is "smooth". From the touch of the starter to shifting to rolling out to riding curves to braking, the only word is "smooth". The engine just purrs and goes. I never at any time felt like I was close to running out of power, whether getting into traffic or powering onto the freeway. And, I never felt like I was lugging down in low gears; I could accelerate from practically any speed in any gear without feeling the bike struggle. I just pointed the bike where I wanted to go and it went.The front brake was touchy to me, but remember I ride a KLR so front brakes are just for "slowing".

The seat height for me was perfect. I could easily touch both feet comfortably which helped with confidence at stops. And the heavy weight is carried down low so the bike never felt heavy. On the road, I could easily carve the corners without any thought of countersteering, it was just intuitive.

The bike is beautiful. The only thing I could imagine buying for it would be a luggage rack (for my "Milk Crate" Ha Ha) and a windshield of some sort. Other than that, I believe the CB1100 is perfect for commuting, highway riding, two-up riding and some touring. Everything I can ask for from a motorcycle.

I hope this may help someone with their decision making process. I didn't buy the bike; I'm just not financially able to right now. But, "when the planets line up and my ship comes in", I know the next bike in my driveway. The Honda CB1100.

OOPS, I just noticed that I posted this under my son's account. He's an Inmate here.

GPrairie_Rider screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 08:20 PM Reason: Posted from son's account by accident
GPrairie_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #3035
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
I agree I like retro to a point. The CB 11 is not only a looker but a way better motorbike.
And it does not have tube type tires which makes fixing numerous flats every year a lot easier.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #3036
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The CB350 four, while it would not make since today from a financial standpoint, it has styling that blows the new CB1100 all to hell. As nice as the 1100 looks, there is absolutely no contest between it and the older bikes. The '69 CB750KO was one of the worlds best looking motorcycles of all time. I just keep thinking, would it have cost Honda that much to make the 1100 look more like the original?
C'mon, Jerry, you're looking at this through a very narrow prism. If Honda had only made the bike to appeal to people like you, their market would be very slim indeed. If they had made it truly appealing to people like yourself who like the look of the vintage Hondas, they would have lost all the other buyers who don't know, or don't care, what a vintage Honda looks like. The 1100 is vintage and modern at the same time, giving it a broader appeal and a better chance at success. I agree the '69 750 is one of the best looking bikes ever made, but this bike was never meant to emulate just one Honda. I also think your statement that the styling of the CB350/4 blows the CB1100 'all to hell' is pretty misguided. Even when it was new, the CB350/4 didn't garner a lot of praise for it's looks, and the weak sales of the 350 back then back that up. Call me a heretic, but the CB1100 is a far superior motorcycle than any of the old Honda fours and in my mind that alone makes it more attractive, looks or otherwise.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #3037
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The CB350 four, while it would not make since today from a financial standpoint, it has styling that blows the new CB1100 all to hell. As nice as the 1100 looks, there is absolutely no contest between it and the older bikes. The '69 CB750KO was one of the worlds best looking motorcycles of all time. I just keep thinking, would it have cost Honda that much to make the 1100 look more like the original?
I have to disagree with you Jerry. Have you seen the 1100 in person? Honda really did a good job. Even on the details. It just looks like a quality piece. I like the early '70's Hondas well enough, but they were actually a lot cheesier in the details.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #3038
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Not only that, but if Honda merely built cb350, 400F, 550, and 750 clones, a lot of guys who "prefer the classics" would just turn their noses up at the new incarnations, and walk off the sales floor, muttering about how they can get a "real one" at a third of the price.

Am I not correct in my assessment?
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #3039
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
The Russians have a great saying. I believe I've quoted it before.

"He who forgets the past, looses an eye. He who lives in the past, looses both."
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #3040
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The problem in general with this class of bikes is that they aren't appreciably cheaper to produce than a 500 or even 650, especially in four-cyl form. Various mfgs have taken runs at small displacement four-cyls over the years (Honda CB-1, Yamaha FZR400, etc.) and they have generally been expensive and poor sellers.

And I don't think the "good old days" were ever as good as we tend to remember. The 350 four was not much of a performer in its day and most of the magazines reported that the 350 twin was actually faster, not that it was a fast bike either. I bought a 400F a decade ago (an improved and faster 350 four) and drove it for five years. It was a fun bike and oozed of nostalgia, but functionally it wasn't even remotely as good a bike as a pedestrian SV650.

Honda could produce a CB350 or CB500 four patterned after the CB1100, but it would only be a grand or two cheaper than the big bike and would be nailed to the showroom floor. Honda is properly attacking the mid-size market with their 500 twins which are priced right and going to be huge sellers.

- Mark
I think you are spot on, Mark. If memory serves me correctly, the magazines were all crazy over the Yamaha RD350/400 back about the time the CB400F was on the market. Time seems to have favored the Honda, though, as they are collector's items these days.

I remember when Honda replaced the CB350 with the CB360 (I bought one) back in '74 (I think). A friend of mine had a CB350. We could never see how the 360 was any real improvement over the 350 - but when honda came out with the CB400 Hawk (I bought one) a few years later, it was light years better than the 360. It seems the Japanese, at least, took a big step forward about that time. As a result we were getting some outstanding 4 stroke bikes from all four of them. Anyway, the CB400F was produced before that step forward. I think anyone used to modern bikes would be seriously disappointed with the way a CB400F functions.

I like the 1100's "retro good looks", but I like the fact that it is a modern motorcycle even better. Best of both, so to speak.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3041
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Not only that, but if Honda merely built cb350, 400F, 550, and 750 clones, a lot of guys who "prefer the classics" would just turn their noses up at the new incarnations, and walk off the sales floor, muttering about how they can get a "real one" at a third of the price.

Am I not correct in my assessment?
In Canada the price for a CB1100 is $13600 plus tax. You can buy an old CB900f for as little as $500 to $1000. Put say about $2000 into it and for $3000 you will have a bike that can do 95% of what the new CB1100 can do, and have a better looking bike.

I just don't see spending four times as much money for a bike that basically is only 5% better. For all the talk of some of the potential buyers on this site I doubt if more than a small percentage would use these bikes for touring. Their trips would be short in nature, which doesn't necessitate needing an ultra reliable bike.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #3042
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Nothing is as subjective as how something looks to various people, even to the same person at different times. The 1100 was designed with a 21st century creative eye, looking back. The 750 was designed with a mid 20th century creative eye looking forward. Big difference in perspective from different generations.... Mid 20th century cars had lots of chrome, bulk and often fins of different sizes. Today they look like suppositories, door stops or boxes. It's all personal perception...

It's interesting that motorcycle companies even fool with retro models. Except for the PT Cruiser, nothing retro has been a success for the auto industry. I wish Chevy would make a 55-57 two door hard top model, but that ain't gonna happen.

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:39 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #3043
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Except for the PT Cruiser, nothing retro has been a success for the auto industry.
I don't know about that...

Ford Thunderbird of the early 2000's was pretty much considered a flop.
The 2005+ retro styled Mustang has been a big success.
Late model Chevy Camaro & Dodge Challenger less so, but still doing well.
Fiat 500, jury is out but I've been seeing them out on the road.
Mini Cooper a big success.

I can't think of any other retro autos but I sure there are some.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #3044
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Nothing is as subjective as how something looks to various people, even to the same person at different times. The 1100 was designed with a 21st century creative eye, looking back. The 750 was designed with a mid 20th century creative eye looking forward. Big difference in perspective from different generations.... Mid 20th century cars had lots of chrome, bulk and often fins of different sizes. Today they look like suppositories, door stops or boxes. It's all personal perception...

It's interesting that motorcycle companies even fool with retro models. Except for the PT Cruiser, nothing retro has been a success for the auto industry. I wish Chevy would make a 55-57 two door hard top model, but that ain't gonna happen.
We're getting a little far afield, but one could argue that the Miata is a retro in the spirit of the Triumph Spitfire and MGB and its been a huge success.

One thing about retro cars, the ones that do well tend to be relatively affordable, PT, Miata, Mustang, Mini. Ones that flop tend to be pricey, Thunderbird, the chevy pick up w/ Corvette running gear (forget the model).
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #3045
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Think that was an S60 or some such. I realize that those cars were all made and can include the new Charger and Challenger, but sales all the ones mentioned probably don't equal a few months sales of Camary's. Wasn't trying to get off subject, but congratulate Honda for building the 1100 for us, when it was to simply be a tribute for their own country. A Japanese conception of a Japanese industry changer. We weren't asked or even considered when it was designed and built, but as designed, hopefully will be a success for them world wide...