Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #3046
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think you are spot on, Mark. If memory serves me correctly, the magazines were all crazy over the Yamaha RD350/400 back about the time the CB400F was on the market. Time seems to have favored the Honda, though, as they are collector's items these days.

I remember when Honda replaced the CB350 with the CB360 (I bought one) back in '74 (I think). A friend of mine had a CB350. We could never see how the 360 was any real improvement over the 350 - but when honda came out with the CB400 Hawk (I bought one) a few years later, it was light years better than the 360. It seems the Japanese, at least, took a big step forward about that time. As a result we were getting some outstanding 4 stroke bikes from all four of them. Anyway, the CB400F was produced before that step forward. I think anyone used to modern bikes would be seriously disappointed with the way a CB400F functions.

I like the 1100's "retro good looks", but I like the fact that it is a modern motorcycle even better. Best of both, so to speak.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, Mr. Breeze, except the part about the 400/4s being a collector's item more so than the RD350/400. I follow the collector market fairly closely, and the RD's, at least the 400s, seem to bring similar or more money than 400/4s. And if you're talking the RD400 Daytona Special, it brings at least 1/3 more than a 400/f. I'm a little biased -- I have an RD400 -- so I had to represent for the ring-ding crowd a little bit.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #3047
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Not sure about collectibility value, but I had both a CB 350F which was a little crown jewel of a bike and an RD350 which was a razor sharp maniacal speed monster.

If asked which one Id rather have right now, at my age, in my mind, I'd be better off with the 350/4, but in my heart I'm still 23 and would probably jump on the RD.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #3048
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
If asked which one Id rather have right now, at my age, in my mind, I'd be better off with the 350/4, but in my heart I'm still 23 and would probably jump on the RD.
Understand completely. That's why I bought the 690 Duke. Amazing machine in the twisties, and stable as a rock. Oh, I'll be 63 in three weeks... Never grow old, just older. tomp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #3049
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you said, Mr. Breeze, except the part about the 400/4s being a collector's item more so than the RD350/400. I follow the collector market fairly closely, and the RD's, at least the 400s, seem to bring similar or more money than 400/4s. And if you're talking the RD400 Daytona Special, it brings at least 1/3 more than a 400/f. I'm a little biased -- I have an RD400 -- so I had to represent for the ring-ding crowd a little bit.
I don't follow the collector mkt at all so I will defer to you on the Yamaha. I never had a desire to own one, but I have always been a fan of the Honda sohc fours. I guess my statement just reflected my bias.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #3050
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
Holy crap, what a bunch of yodeling; at this rate I predict this thread will follow the Bolt thread.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #3051
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Nah, the Bolt is a Sportster wannabe, the 1100' a unique retro thing of new/old beauty. Besides this is a Honda thread not a Yamaha one...Remember, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda."
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #3052
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Holy crap, what a bunch of yodeling; at this rate I predict this thread will follow the Bolt thread.
Okay, yeah, we got a little off track there, but it stayed nice and civilized, unlike the original Bolt thread. I don't think it's gonna go there.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #3053
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
I hope not; the CB1100 is the nicest new bike I've ridden since the Street Triple came out... I was convinced I was going to pull the trigger as soon as the ABS hit my dealer, now a buddy has put his 07 Bonneville on the block for a third of the price; they are similar but also so different... new old school vs old old school, if you will. I may buy the Bonnie, detail it up real nice and flip it, put the difference into the CB.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #3054
INTP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cb1100

#0410 from Loudoun Motorsports $500 off list. Saw the bike in person Saturday, sold my ZX12 yesterday and picking it up tonight.

Oh, this is my first post, my name is Kevin and I live in the DC area, I look forward to riding with some of you all soon.
INTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #3055
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
For some reason, Honda never got into 2 strokes, while Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha made them by the boatload. I have to admit being a lover of 2 strokes, and would love to have a '70s 2 stroke road bike. But the prices for anything decent are unreal. I have seen Kawasaki H1 and H2 triples go for over $30K. These were the real hot rods of the day. Way faster than any 4 stroke, and they made that beautiful sound, and had that wonderful exhaust smell. Definitely a bit uncivilized, which is something I like in motorcycles. I had a chance to buy a Daytona Special new, but bought an XS650 instead. Huge mistake, one I still regret.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #3056
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
For some reason, Honda never got into 2 strokes, while Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha made them by the boatload. I have to admit being a lover of 2 strokes, and would love to have a '70s 2 stroke road bike. But the prices for anything decent are unreal. I have seen Kawasaki H1 and H2 triples go for over $30K. These were the real hot rods of the day. Way faster than any 4 stroke, and they made that beautiful sound, and had that wonderful exhaust smell. Definitely a bit uncivilized, which is something I like in motorcycles. I had a chance to buy a Daytona Special new, but bought an XS650 instead. Huge mistake, one I still regret.
Soichiro Honda was a 4 stroke man, and once stated the Honda name would never be on a 2 stroke. When the 250 Elsinore, Hondas first 2 stroke, was developed in 1971 he refused to put his name on the prototypes, just the flying wing emblem on the tanks, and cr250 m and elsinor on the side overs. When the bike went into production though it said Honda on the tank. Another neat bit of info on that bike, The bikes originally had a polished aluminum tank, but the sun reflected into the eyes of test rider Gary Jones. He went back to the truck and grabbed a can of spray paint which happened to be green, and he spray painted the top of the tank to dull the reflection, and thats how it came out on the production bikes.

Im full of useless info like that . On another forum they nicknamed me WikiFerret
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #3057
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTP View Post
#0410 from Loudoun Motorsports $500 off list. Saw the bike in person Saturday, sold my ZX12 yesterday and picking it up tonight.

Oh, this is my first post, my name is Kevin and I live in the DC area, I look forward to riding with some of you all soon.
Hi Kevin and welcome
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #3058
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A very British way of putting it
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #3059
INTP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Hi Kevin and welcome
Thanks. So far I have 51 miles, I love the smell of burning cosmoline in the morning.

First impressions, I feel like Goldilocks, everything is just right. It sounds just like the KZ1000s on CHiPs.
INTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #3060
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Well I had a test ride of the CB1100 today. Just so I make myself clear I am a Honda fan. My first bike was a Honda and I have two in my garage right now. One of which as previously stated is a CB900F.

The engine: Very smooth engine, adequate but not great top end, but then again it wasn't designed as a sport bike. Would pull well from 2500 rpm onward in top gear. Very slick transmission, had no trouble with changing gear without the clutch. Fuel injection was good, but the throttle was very slack on this particular bike, and gave a false impression of jerkiness.

Riding position: I'm 6'3" and I found that I was having to sit rather far back for comfort, but I believe that is mainly caused by the handlebars which I personally find too high and curved back. With a lower bar the position would be fine for longer trips.

The finish: Is excellent as people have previously stated.

Brakes" Excellent brakes, didn't get to try the abs.

Ride: This is where I have some complaints. Quite frankly it was crap. The front and rear felt firm but there was little compliancy with road bumps, over sprung and under damped. The rear shock is the main culprit, it is obviously a very cheap product and would be the first thing I would change if I were ever to buy this bike. On slightly rough roads the bike pogoed all over the place, and at 200 lbs. I am not a light rider. On ultra smooth roads it was fine.

Handling: Considering it's weight it is surprisingly nimble, this being somewhat due to the small tire width sizes. You don't feel it's weight on the move. I found the bike steering overly sensitive and it didn't feel planted on the road, but to me this is due to the narrow tires and the rubbish rear shock. What this bike needs are 17" wheels.

Would I buy one? No. Overall I found it to be a rather bland bike, and I normally like bland. But I find this bike has no character, which is what a retro bike is meant to be all about. It'll be fine for the occasional rider who is basically an upright rider, but for anyone with more sporting pretensions this bike would not fill the bill. It might be worth $10,000 U.S. but it sure isn't worth the $13,600 Canadian in Canada.

Now if they bought the CB1300 to North America, I would definately want one of those. That's my idea of retro.

ECN-ROL screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 01:01 PM
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote