Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #3076
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltspray View Post
How does the power compare to the 80's CB1100F?

I'm not paying $10K for a retro bike with less motor.

Saw one in person...looks great.
Guess you're not buying one then. Horsepower is rated at 87-89. About on par with the old CB 1100s, Gs1100s, KZ 1000s etc.Torque is very linear. Its an easy bike to ride, but not a sport bike power wise.

Problem is its not hard to spend that much or more getting an old 1100 ready if you can even find one that hasn't been thrashed, has good compression across all 4 cylinders, isn't repainted, all rusty from being left outside, with stock exhaust, good tires, good fork seals, spark plugs that aren't rust welded in, air cleaner that isn't dust, good oil in engine and forks, chain and sprockets that are road worthy, seat that isn't ripped, bars and levers that aren't bent, good foot peg rubber, battery that didn't come from Walmart, wiring that hadn't been butchered, switches that work, etc etc. A low mileage concours condition CB 1100F could easily fetch $10-15 grand these days, and if one bought one for that kind of money they'd probably be afraid to ride it much
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #3077
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Guess you're not buying one then. Horsepower is rated at 87-89. About on par with the old CB 1100s, Gs1100s, KZ 1000s etc.Torque is very linear. Its an easy bike to ride, but not a sport bike power wise.

Problem is its not hard to spend that much or more getting an old 1100 ready if you can even find one that hasn't been thrashed, has good compression across all 4 cylinders, isn't repainted, all rusty from being left outside, with stock exhaust, good tires, good fork seals, spark plugs that aren't rust welded in, air cleaner that isn't dust, good oil in engine and forks, chain and sprockets that are road worthy, seat that isn't ripped, bars and levers that aren't bent, good foot peg rubber, battery that didn't come from Walmart, wiring that hadn't been butchered, switches that work, etc etc. A low mileage concours condition CB 1100F could easily fetch $10-15 grand these days, and if one bought one for that kind of money they'd probably be afraid to ride it much
I don't see many old CB1100F's around, but the ones I do see are all pretty much in better than average shape. One in excellent condition is not cheap but nowhere near the $10-15 grand that you quote. One in really great shape goes for around $5000 Canadian here, probably cheaper in the states. You would only pay $10 to 15 grand for a CB1100R in good condition, but that was a one off racer sold in small quantities.

My CB900F is in excellent shape with about 45,000 miles on it. It hasn't been babied and has not given me one problem in 26 years, and has always been parked inside. I don't see any bike turning into the rusty heap you describe unless it has been left outside for years.

I doubt my bike is worth more than $2500 but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip. I routinely do 300 mile days and think nothing of doing so. The only thing an old bike owner has to worry about that might prevent him from getting home is a problem with the engine. Everything else can either be ridden around or bodged to work on the side of the road.

A friend of mine has a CB900F which he picked up for $3500 with 20000 miles on it. He shouldn't have paid more than $3000 for it. He turned it into a vintage racer which included a Wiseco big bore kit, smoothbore carbs, Ohlins rear shocks, and other odds and ends, for just around a total of $6000 (includes purchase price). The bike makes 100 hp at the rear wheel. I have raced it. A great bike, and a lot of fun.

I don't see that a new CB1100 is better value for money, or as much fun to ride. Check out www.cb1100f.net if you want to see a great site that caters to the CB750/900/1100.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #3078
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The 1983 CB1100F was ultimately designed with top performance in mind. The 2013 CB1100, on the other hand was designed with a different set of priorities. It's easy to get hung up on the 1140cc sized engine along with the modest power output for an engine this size. I believe that Honda went with the displacement that it needed to to achieve the actual riding characteristics that they were after and still manage to pass todays strict emissions requirements while sticking with an air-cooled design. A much tougher task today than it was back in 1983.

When I ride the bike, I'm not spending time thinking about it being an 1100, but am simply enjoying the ride and all of the various characteristics that the bike exudes. Having more power on tap wouldn't be a bad thing per say, but I probably would make little use of it. On the other hand, in riding conditions that I use the bike for (commuting to work, riding rural backroads, rather limited highway time), I find the CB1100 to be most enjoyable.

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #3079
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
The 1983 CB1100F was ultimately designed with top performance in mind. The 2013 CB1100, on the other hand was designed with a different set of priorities. It's easy to get hung up on the 1140cc sized engine along with the modest power output for an engine this size. I believe that Honda went with the displacement that it needed to to achieve the actual riding characteristics that they were after and still manage to pass todays strict emissions requirements while sticking with an air-cooled design. A much tougher task today than it was back in 1983.

When I ride the bike, I'm not spending time thinking about it being an 1100, but am simply enjoying the ride and all of the various characteristics that the bike exudes. Having more power on tap wouldn't be a bad thing per say, but I probably would make little use of it. On the other hand, in riding conditions that I use the bike for (commuting to work, riding rural backroads, rather limited highway time), I find the CB1100 to be most enjoyable.
Enjoy your bike. If it makes you a happy owner, then you have the right one. Just not for me. Of course 10 years from now I may look at your old bike and say, I'd like one of those old bikes.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3080
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
I don't see that a new CB1100 is better value for money, or as much fun to ride.
I would never argue that the CB1100 (or any new bike for that matter) is better value for the money than a good clean used bike of similar spec. My other bike is a 1988 Hawk GT, and it's a load of fun. The bike has never let me down. But I can say that when I started commuting on it on a daily basis that the bike started showing its age and as a result I dropped quite a bit more money on it replacing various bits & pieces that were simply victims of time (the bike only has 21K miles).

I've never purchased a new bike before. Is it economical? No. Practical? No. Am I happy? Hell yes. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a material object in my entire life. Obviously the CB1100 isn't for everyone (no bike is), but it is definitely filling my days with pure joy and that feels pretty awesome. Other bikes may or may not be more fun to ride depending on the individual. All I know is that every time I get on the CB1100, my full-face helmet barely manages to cover up my shit-eating grin.

CB1100 Forum
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #3081
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

By the way, I love the looks of the CB900F and entertained the thought of purchasing a beautiful silver/blue model that was for sale here locally last year. I have other passions in my life and finding the time to spend with the bikes can be hard to come by at times. As it is, I spend enough time working on my Hawk to keep it in tip top shape. Realistically, adding another classic to the mix would probably require too much of my time at this point. But I totally understand the appeal of the vintage bikes. To me, when it comes to bikes, old vs new is an apples/oranges comparison. The CB1100 just happens to be one of very few new bikes that truly appeals to me.

CB1100 Forum
Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3082
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
"We've had Harleys, BSAs, Moto Guzzis, KTMs and Ducatis in our family. IMO "character" is highly over rated, unreliable and expensive.

Give me reasonably priced, reliable and bland anytime"

"I am with you on this one. I want drama free rides and reliable bikes. I am tired of having to fix what should have been fixed to start with."

"Yeah. I'll take flawless, creamy-smooth performance over 'character' anytime."

Then what's the point of riding? Honda makes what you want. It's called an Accord.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #3083
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltspray View Post
How does the power compare to the 80's CB1100F?

I'm not paying $10K for a retro bike with less motor.
As others have said, it's down quite a bit on horsepower from the 83 1100F. 86 vs. 108 if you believe the numbers.

If you search back on the old 1100 thread you will find me saying about the same thing you did above. That was before I bought a Kawasaki ZRX, the modern (somewhat) equivalent of the CB1100F. It has I don't know, about 120 hp at the crank. The first day I rode mine I found myself accelerating in third gear at 130 mph. I pretty quickly realized that if I keep riding like a hooligan I will get a very expensive ticket (best case) or end up I the hospital or morgue (worst case).

I think the power of the CB1100 will be just fine. If you disagree, snap up an 83 CB1100F now. You should be able to pick up a nice one for half the price of the new1100. But it will need work and upkeep, I've had my share of 80's bikes and I won't be going back.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #3084
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"We've had Harleys, BSAs, Moto Guzzis, KTMs and Ducatis in our family. IMO "character" is highly over rated, unreliable and expensive.

"I am with you on this one. I want drama free rides and reliable bikes. I am tired of having to fix what should have been fixed to start with."

Then what's the point of riding? Honda makes what you want. It's called an Accord.
You need to remember there are different motivations to ride.

For some it is the "biker" life style, a bike is a style accessory, an identity, and social passport. Riding isn't the focal priority.
Then there are "riders", for them a bike is a tool, an appliance, a means to an end. The focal priority is the physical sensations of riding,
Finally there are "motorcyclists", for them a bike is a partner, a friend. The focal priority is the overall experience of operating a motorcycle.
For some folks its a combination of more than one.

There is no one correct equation for all people.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #3085
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

I was out riding around on the CB1100 today. Interestingly, I saw a very nice CBX and a very clean CB750F (or CB900F) heading in the opposite direction. I felt like I was in some sort of Honda advertisement. It was a bit windy today, but nice to be out just the same.

CB1100 Forum
Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #3086
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

Got one, and a Civic, and a Ridgeline...and an ST 1300, and CB 1100. Guess Ive been spoiled
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #3087
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oh...and a generator too!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #3088
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
You need to remember there are different motivations to ride.

For some it is the "biker" life style, a bike is a style accessory, an identity, and social passport. Riding isn't the focal priority.
Then there are "riders", for them a bike is a tool, an appliance, a means to an end. The focal priority is the physical sensations of riding,
Finally there are "motorcyclists", for them a bike is a partner, a friend. The focal priority is the overall experience of operating a motorcycle.
For some folks its a combination of more than one.

There is no one correct equation for all people.
I think you pretty much covered it!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #3089
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Oh...and a generator too!
...and the power washer. Honda makes the best one of those, too.

I'm picking one up tomorrow. The power washer, that is. The cb1100 is due May 10.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #3090
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Hopefully the new power washer can help tide you over until May 10th. Can you get those in Candy Red?

CB1100 Forum