Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #3391
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Never come across a bike yet that has a stock seat that "works". I think it's an unwritten agreement that motorcycle manufactures have with all the after market seat folks? Different story with companies like SAAB, Volvo, Benz etc. The auto makers seem capable of making great seats...thus no aftermarket seat makers.
Lyle
Once I bit the bullet and got my first Corbin, I was a believer. Now I just go ahead and have them done to suit me, or do them myself.
Totally worth it.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #3392
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Once I bit the bullet and got my first Corbin, I was a believer. Now I just go ahead and have them done to suit me, or do them myself.
Totally worth it.
Still thinking about a Corbin for my DR. An hour on that thing, and I walk like a bloody monkey! It's such a great bike though.
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #3393
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,479
I thought the seat was way to soft on my CB1100. I was glad Corbin was in the mix. However. Now that I have a few miles on it, I am not so sure. No hot spots, no bun burn, no squirming yet. I may toss a sheepskin on it for good measure and see what happens.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #3394
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I see an aftermarket seat in my future. Stock seat makes me squirm like a tadpole just riding around town. Too soft, too squishy, no support except for the very middle of your ass and as a bonus it seems to want to roll your hips forward. I've had good luck with both Corbin and Sargent, but it looks like only Corbin is going to make one for this bike, at least for a while.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #3395
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I haven't read the whole thread, but I really dig the CB's looks, but just read the Cycle Trader report.

I don't understand how they could make a relatively modern powerplant so underpowered (torque isn't impressive either)

I understand hp is not everything, (I am a Guzzi guy) but for the size of this engine, and the weight of the bike, it should have more power. If not, why not just make the thing a true CB750?

I don't understand why it is SO neutered. My Bandit didn't make huge power, but the torque was much higher than this.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #3396
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Aircooling may limit output. More compression = more heat.. ?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #3397
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but I really dig the CB's looks, but just read the Cycle Trader report.

I don't understand how they could make a relatively modern powerplant so underpowered (torque isn't impressive either)

I understand hp is not everything, (I am a Guzzi guy) but for the size of this engine, and the weight of the bike, it should have more power. If not, why not just make the thing a true CB750?

I don't understand why it is SO neutered. My Bandit didn't make huge power, but the torque was much higher than this.
You may understand if you ride it (my wife owns one) Honda knocked it out of the park! As for the HP rating aren't there enough 2000HP bikes on the market? The cb pulls from ANY rpm. It's the most peaceful bike I've ridden.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #3398
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
You may understand if you ride it (my wife owns one) Honda knocked it out of the park! As for the HP rating aren't there enough 2000HP bikes on the market? The cb pulls from ANY rpm. It's the most peaceful bike I've ridden.
Peaceful. Words should never be used to describe a bike

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #3399
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Peaceful. Words should never be used to describe a bike
Well...how about "civilized?"

No...that doesn't work, either. But, it is such a precision instrument that the usual "antisocial" labels attached to motorcycles don't apply here.

It's smooth as silk. Although the power ratings aren't in the boasting class it doesn't really matter. It has plenty of power and torque to get the job done.

It's the Lexus of Motorcycles.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #3400
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,260
Mild tuning, reliability, and emissions (tail pipe and noise) likely limit the power, like many bikes.
Add some huge exhaust that will flow and still be quiet and the power goes up. Add a huge air box and power goes up, and the bike looks silly.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #3401
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Well...how about "civilized?"
I think "effortless" is a good way to describe it. This bike is very easy to ride. you don't even have to try.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #3402
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I've ridden mine about 700 miles so far. Best way I can describe it is 'sweet-natured.' I absolutely mean that as a compliment.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #3403
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...0-ar40344.html

Great review of the first CB750's. Interesting quote from the story:

"Honda CB750 is one of the most important bikes of the 70s. The bike is considered to be the original superbike because of its extraordinary features: large motorcycle to combine speed, luxury and reliability at a small price. "

Sweet, civilized, peaceful, may represent the CB now, but when new, it was considered anything but those terms. Probably why it is so appealing. The target market is mostly beyond the superbike years but still want the feel and memories of days past, without the quirkiness/insanity of today's actual superbikes.

Works for me... dd50
Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #3404
Huladog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
"Refined Simplicity".

As I grow older and grumpier this bike makes me smile. Or maybe smirk because I know the secret and am enjoying this reliable retro-ride.

Aloha,
Huladog
Huladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #3405
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
It was a beautiful day for a ride today, so I took the Sportster for a ride to a small but multi-brand dealer to see/test-sit/hopefully ride the CB1100 and Yamaha Bolt. Better late than never, no? There was no Bolt yet for another month, but there was a CB1100. No test ride, but I was surprised how well I (6'5" & 36" inseam) fit on it. Then again, I WANTED to fit on it! My knees were not overly bent, and my knee caps didn't extend past the narrowed section of the tank. A little taller seat would really dial it in (for me).

It is a real beauty. It is compact (it seems a bit smaller than my FJ1200), but it is nicely scaled. It might seem small next to all the stretched cruisers in the showroom, but it really seemed to be "big enough, but not too small".

I don't remember if anyone mentioned the taillight - it looks really nice, slick & chrome-y, but it's kind of a let down when you tap on it and discover it's plastic. I also know I'd have preferred the silver engine that other markets get.

The dealer has only gotten the one bike, and doesn't seem eager to discount. I want to see the Bolt and the new FZ9 triple. I'll want to ride the finalists in the "HapHazard Buys His First Brand New Street Bike Reality Show".

(If I don't just keep buying cheap projects off Craigslist)
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote