Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #706
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Au contraire. The brand new NC700x is a single overhead cam. I didn't bother to look, but I bet Honda builds quite a few sohc's across all its divisions.
I don't know about ALL their divisions... but the Honda Goldwing (one of their BIGGEST sellers) is a SOHC with 2 valves per cylinder, so you're not far off the mark.

While we're at it... The Honda Valkyrie (12 years old, flat 6 engine, and 6 carbs) will still meet California "clean" regulations.
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #707
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
yeah no kidding..... this is a thread about a bike, right...?

So who's bought one??

I have my deposit placed, on an ABS (for shame!!)
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #708
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
Yes, It's the NC700x is a SOHC motor but has 4 valves per cylinder (I assume they achieve this through a sub rocker arm assembly)

The older Honda CB SOHC inline fours from Honda were only 2 valves per cylinder. If I'm mistaken, someone else please chime in...

I'm well aware the old sohc were 2 valve heads which is why I made no comment regarding the number of valves.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #709
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
Man, it sure is easy to stir up a Sh!t storm here. The original question posed was why don't they make a 2 valve sohc. I stated probably due to world wide emissions requirements/and to develop sufficient HP to make the bike appealing. That is as good an answer as I've read here. I mentioned Honda isn't doing a lot with SOHC engines and was kinda corrected.

The NC700 is SOHC, but was derived from an auto engine design of theirs. It is considered a low hp, low rpm engine, just like the car it came from originally. Not a ton of R&D needed, and emissions were already sorted out by the auto industry.

The gold Wing came out in 75, and it was a SOHC 2 v modified VW/Porsche engine. I know, they were OHV, but I said modified. Today, it is the same basic engine with two more cylinders added to accommodate the huge increase in weight and emissions requirement to maintain good HP/TQ. No real R&D there.

About the only The only Honda motorcycles still using the SOHC designs are the 50-250cc bikes sold in Asia, India, Pacific Rim, etc, and are the same basic engines used 40-50 years ago, No R&D there.

That leaves generators and lawn mowers, and yes they are most all SOHC, but like the small displacement motorcycles haven't required any real costly R&D, and not as regulated by the EPA.

I'm sure this will start another storm, but I came to this thread early on, because the bike interested me. OLDSKHOOL/ NEW SCHOOL retro that it is. . Anyway, those were my reasoning's for my initial response to a question that no one else has attempted to answer for the OP....ADV has always been a tough crowd, acknowledged the world round... Think I'll now go into the fetal position and await the beating that I see coming... tomp dd50
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #710
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Honda is still committed to improving SOHC technology. Ever see or work on a CRF dirt bike lately?
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #711
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Man, it sure is easy to stir up a Sh!t storm here. The original question posed was why don't they make a 2 valve sohc. I stated probably due to world wide emissions requirements/and to develop sufficient HP to make the bike appealing. That is as good an answer as I've read here. I mentioned Honda isn't doing a lot with SOHC engines and was kinda corrected.

The NC700 is SOHC, but was derived from an auto engine design of theirs. It is considered a low hp, low rpm engine, just like the car it came from originally. Not a ton of R&D needed, and emissions were already sorted out by the auto industry.

The gold Wing came out in 75, and it was a SOHC 2 v modified VW/Porsche engine. I know, they were OHV, but I said modified. Today, it is the same basic engine with two more cylinders added to accommodate the huge increase in weight and emissions requirement to maintain good HP/TQ. No real R&D there.

About the only The only Honda motorcycles still using the SOHC designs are the 50-250cc bikes sold in Asia, India, Pacific Rim, etc, and are the same basic engines used 40-50 years ago, No R&D there.

That leaves generators and lawn mowers, and yes they are most all SOHC, but like the small displacement motorcycles haven't required any real costly R&D, and not as regulated by the EPA.

I'm sure this will start another storm, but I came to this thread early on, because the bike interested me. OLDSKHOOL/ NEW SCHOOL retro that it is. . Anyway, those were my reasoning's for my initial response to a question that no one else has attempted to answer for the OP....ADV has always been a tough crowd, acknowledged the world round... Think I'll now go into the fetal position and await the beating that I see coming... tomp dd50
So where you're on about exactly?
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #712
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post

I don't see where you're going to get beat up. Get out of the fetal position! Have a beer
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #713
phobe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Honda is still committed to improving SOHC technology. Ever see or work on a CRF dirt bike lately?
Or VFR1200 ;)
phobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #714
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
All of the XL, XR and XRL dirt bikes and dual sports, regardless of displacement, have been SOHC since the beginning. Of course any developement has pretty much ceased.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #715
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
I have my deposit placed, on an ABS (for shame!!)

cant wait to hear your impressions of it. I am VERY curious about this bike.....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #716
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Maybe we could just be happy that we have a nice roadster at a reasonable price with legit metal chrome.
SOHC?
Meh.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #717
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
SOHC?
all that says to me is decent performance and rock solid reliability
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #718
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Maybe we could just be happy that we have a nice roadster at a reasonable price with legit metal chrome.
SOHC?
Meh.
I would quibble with the "reasonable price" portion of this.

This bike competes head-to-head with the likes of the basic Sporty, the Triumph Bonnie line, and the Moto Guzzi V7 classic, but last time I checked those were all at least $1500 if not $2000 less expensive.

I think the CB would be an awesome $7000 bike, a great $8000 bike. An acceptable $9000 bike, and a completely overpriced $10,000 bike.

Would have been better as a 750 priced at $6500. Not sure if Honda could have done that, but if they could IMO it would be a great success because then it starts to get close to the Suzuki/Honda 500/650 twins (the Ninja 500, Versys, SV650, etc) in terms of price.

A "good bike" isn't enough - it has to be a good bike at a good price. Generally speaking, people with $10k burning a hole in their pocket want more for their money than this CB has to offer.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. If I had the cash, I would be all over it. But there's the rub - I already have a "standard" bike (Scrambler) and no need of another one. And even if my Scrambler were to get struck by lightning tomorrow, I'd more than likely replace it with another Triumph just because I can get the same performance for $2k less than Honda is asking for this beast.

This bike is like the ugly kid sister with the great personality. Everyone talks about how glad they are she's around, how wonderful it is that she's not hung up on her looks, how much she reminds them of the girl they knew "back when." Everbody thinks she'd make a perfect partner - for someone else.

And then everybody goes to the dance with someone prettier, flashier, and cooler and she stays home.
ZappBranigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #719
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
A "good bike" isn't enough - it has to be a good bike at a good price. Generally speaking, people with $10k burning a hole in their pocket want more for their money than this CB has to offer.

just curious - what other $10k bike are you thinking of? For me it would be something like the Versys 1000, but I doubt that's going to be 10k, probably closer to 12k. Maybe the Ninja 1000? Too sporty for someone interested in a retro bike. Same for the FZ1. Suzuki DL1000? Speaking of the ugly kid sister... people are drawn to the CB1100 because of it's looks, so these buyers will probably not be cross shopping it with any adv bike.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #720
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Would have been better as a 750 priced at $6500.
And I'd like gas to sell for a buck a gallon.

KLR's and DRZ's cost $6500. How is Honda supposed to make a 750cc version of the CB1100 for DRZ money? And what other manufacturer is currently selling a liter+, DOHC, inline-four, fuel-injected bike for $10K or less?

These pricing discussions need to have some basis in the reality of how much bikes currently cost.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote