Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #751
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
I've been wondering about the size of this bike too. (I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam). You're right about the dish in the seat and something like an Airhawk could compensate for that at least a bit. One would then need to raise the handlebars though
'Pretty much any bike I buy winds up needing some dialing in of the seat/pegs/bars and i'm not even that tall (6'2"). Seats are not that bad to modify and this one clearly has a chunk of foam missing in front. As it has conventional bars, risers and/or alternative bars should be easy to source too. The only thing that might be a bit dicey is lowering the pags. It looked like the gear shift lever is intergal to the left peg bracket which might complicate things but then again if the seat were an inch or two higher it might not be an issue. Since this one has been in production for several years now aftermarket parts should be in good supply, at least if sourced internationally. All-in-all, tinkering with the ergo's on this should be simpler than with most modern bikes I would think.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #752
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,344
Saw the bike at the show yesterday. It sure didn't have a retro price tag, $10k!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #753
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
True. What we don't know is whether or not the cables and elec. wiring to the handlebars will allow for risers or not. Replacing cables isn't difficult. Extending elec. wiring can/could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
'Pretty much any bike I buy winds up needing some dialing in of the seat/pegs/bars and i'm not even that tall (6'2"). Seats are not that bad to modify and this one clearly has a chunk of foam missing in front. As it has conventional bars, risers and/or alternative bars should be easy to source too. The only thing that might be a bit dicey is lowering the pags. It looked like the gear shift lever is intergal to the left peg bracket which might complicate things but then again if the seat were an inch or two higher it might not be an issue. Since this one has been in production for several years now aftermarket parts should be in good supply, at least if sourced internationally. All-in-all, tinkering with the ergo's on this should be simpler than with most modern bikes I would think.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #754
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
OK, I saw the pictures of the bike and thought it was exactly what I wanted. I found the bike at
Honda's booth at the bike show yesterday and it looked good being off by itself in a corner totally
ignored. When I swung a leg over it I was disappointed. My knees were near level with the top
of the tank . I went from there to Triumph and found the Bonnie fit almost exactly the same.
I'm no giant at 6'2" and people in general can't be getting shorter so what gives?
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #755
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
OK, I saw the pictures of the bike and thought it was exactly what I wanted. I found the bike at
Honda's booth at the bike show yesterday and it looked good being off by itself in a corner totally
ignored. When I swung a leg over it I was disappointed. My knees were near level with the top
of the tank . I went from there to Triumph and found the Bonnie fit almost exactly the same.
I'm no giant at 6'2" and people in general can't be getting shorter so what gives?
At 5'8" this sounds perfect for me,can't wait till the Detroit show next month!!!

I sat on the Bonnie last year and thought it fit me quite well,sure couldn't say the same for the Tiger.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #756
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Are you sure your height isn't made up of longer tib/fibs than other people's? That would account for it ... unless you're implying that you had much more leg room on a 1975 CB750.

I really don't know... I haven't seen it. But with sport bikes the trend has been smaller and smaller for handling. Older sport bikes were livable with for touring, where-as newer ones ae scrunched more for racing. Maybe this is following the same trend? I'm sure they made it as compact as possible to save on weight and lower the center of gravity. Anyone have stats readily available on the typical full-sized UJM seat heights (say 750cc's from the 1970's), then the height of the CB1000, and the new CB1100?
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #757
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
My experience was very similar at the show. I'm the same height, my inseam is 34 inches. The bike wasn't drawing near the interest at the show I thought it would. Another thing I noticed was how square the tank looked from the seat. WTF? Didn't care for that. And, yes, it felt cramped to me. I felt as comfortable, maybe more, on the new Yam FZ1.

Honestly, it's been quite awhile since I've sat on, and even longer, since I've ridden a CB750, so I can't really compare. But, the new CB1100 seems smaller.

I figure I'll buy one used someday when Honda quits selling them in the U.S., but before they become a cult favorite.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #758
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
At 5'8" this sounds perfect for me,can't wait till the Detroit show next month!!!

I sat on the Bonnie last year and thought it fit me quite well,sure couldn't say the same for the Tiger.
Your mission should you choose to accept it is: "get a pic of yourself sitting on top of the bike"

I am 5'8", will ride anything, but it is nice to putt around and touch the ground with ease.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #759
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
My experience was very similar at the show. I'm the same height, my inseam is 34 inches. The bike wasn't drawing near the interest at the show I thought it would. Another thing I noticed was how square the tank looked from the seat. WTF? Didn't care for that. And, yes, it felt cramped to me. I felt as comfortable, maybe more, on the new Yam FZ1.

Honestly, it's been quite awhile since I've sat on, and even longer, since I've ridden a CB750, so I can't really compare. But, the new CB1100 seems smaller.

I figure I'll buy one used someday when Honda quits selling them in the U.S., but before they become a cult favorite.
I have a 1982 CB900F for comparison and am hoping it's(the CB1100) slightly smaller than that.I love the 82 but would prefer a slightly more sporting riding position,better brakes,and smoother transmission.The power of the 82 is fine with me although it redlines at 9500 vs the 7500 of the CB1100.Weight and HP ratings are roughly the same.

It's going to take some doing to move me off a bike I paid $1800 for to something that performs the same for 10k though.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #760
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
For your viewing pleasure, here are a few pics of Honda's JM accessory "Tall" seat and grab rails. Looks like it may add a couple inches for the taller riders out there. Not to mention the retro styling is pure sex

HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #761
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
For your viewing pleasure, here are a few pics of Honda's JM accessory "Tall" seat and grab rails. Looks like it may add a couple inches for the taller riders out there. Not to mention the retro styling is pure sex
Ok noob... where did you steal those pics!! PLEASE tell me they are of the US version

Oh yea fetch me some chips and beer while you are up
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #762
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:

[
I like the look of that seat a lot.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #763
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
For your viewing pleasure, here are a few pics of Honda's JM accessory "Tall" seat and grab rails. Looks like it may add a couple inches for the taller riders
'nicely done sir, thank you. I like that seat A LOT better and wouldn't mind snagging the grab rail either.
'Sounds like my farkles will be coming from the Japanse aftermarket.

PS- ouch, i think I'd just rebuild the seat:

http://japan.webike.net/products/9695724.html

rider33 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:17 PM
rider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #764
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Here's one more angle

I'm thinking the better it sells here, the more likely we are to get these juicy JM accessories out of Honda's grubby little hands (without paying an importers way marked up'ed prices). Now someone just needs to produce a nice backrest...my GF won't ride without one
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #765
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
I hope they come out with something other than that Burgundy red... I've owned far too many burgundy vehicles in my lifetime for being so young.

That middle-blue that Hondas used to come with would be great.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote