Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #856
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Even the somewhat paltry redline of 7.5k is inline with the 750.
Redline is 8.5k, same as the old 750s.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #857
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
The bike will be in dealerships by March, the "I woulda bought one if....." stuff starts soon after.

Going to be a snoozer.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #858
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
Redline is 8.5k, same as the old 750s.
I believe most CB750's were 8k which was the basis for my comparison,but I stand corrected,8.5k is the redline on the new CB1100F.
I would have swore I read it to be 7.5 somewhere but darned if I can find it.I looked up some images and it clearly shows you are correct.It only stuck in my head because I thought "damn,my 900 doesn't even come alive untill past 6K"

Thank you for taking away one of two reasons for not buying,I will be sending you the contact information for my wife via PM to see if you can overcome the other

Here's what I read,I guess I just quit paying attention at the 88hp @ 7.5k part

The engine’s overarching attribute is its easygoing nature. Because of the single balance shaft and two rubber engine mounts, it’s a smooth operator, completely lacking the classic inline-four tingle that made the CB750 famous—or infamous, if your extremities are still a bit numb. Throttle response from the electronic fuel injection is creamy, even without secondary butterflies to smooth power delivery. Torque ramps up nicely by 1500 rpm and seems to peak early. Honda says the torque peak of 68.6 lb.-ft. occurs at just 5000 rpm (with a max of 88.5 horsepower at 7500 rpm), and the bike feels just that way. From the torque peak to the 8500-rpm redline

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...#ixzz2IBgUHUG7

Society Historicus Revisioniscus

Gham screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 04:25 PM
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #859
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I believe most CB750's were 8k which was the basis for my comparison....
8K was redline for most of the bread-and-butter K models, but the later F and F2 got bumped a bit (I think to 8.5K and 9.5K respectively, which in the case of the F2 was probably not a good idea), and I've heard rumors that the very early K0's briefly shipped with 8.5K redlines.

My K1:

BTW, horsepower for the SOHC 750 K's steadily declined during its production run. It might have started out in the mid- to high-50's, but by 1975 or so the magazines were lucky to get an even 50 - I recall a Cycle test that only showed something like 48-hp on the dyno for a K5 and the bike would barely do a true 100-mph. Not very superbikey. This new CB1100 should be in a whole different world power-wise - maybe it won't quite match the 1983 CB1100F, but it will be night/day better than every other old Honda air-cooled four.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #860
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016

Hopes this works. It shows an 8.5k on the 750 on moto.it site gallery. Unsure of the year.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #861
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
It shows an 8.5k on the 750 on moto.it site gallery. Unsure of the year.
I guess the best answer to the redline of the CB750K is that "it depends...."

- Mark
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #862
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
QUESTION: With a C/R of 9.5 to 1, does this bike run on regular 87 octane gas?
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #863
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
I've read several tests and reviews and haven't seen fuel grade requirements, but with a compression ratio that low, 87 seems right. The T100 is about the same ratio and 89 is recommended for it. Shouldn't need premium, though.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #864
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
I get the first one at my local dealership. They are telling me late April or Early may. I've missed bikes like this.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #865
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
What's local noob?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #866
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post

Hopes this works. It shows an 8.5k on the 750 on moto.it site gallery. Unsure of the year.
That looks more like the gauges of my cb450 twin than any cb750 I ever saw.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #867
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 335
Also my 750 k4 did the ton...
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #868
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
Power is not an issue for me, any 1100 should have more than enough. My Vulcan 750 has enough. Range is not a huge deal either. It's important, but not a deal breaker. My Vulcan has a range of less than 130 miles before hitting reserve. What worries me is the riding position, especially after watching the video and seeing someone actually sitting on it. The pegs are a little bit too far back, ant the bars may be too low. I will have to sit on one to know for sure. Three years ago I spent $5000 on a new bike that I put less than 5000 miles on in 3 years, because of the same thing. Just too painful to enjoy riding any distance. I am a touring rider, no matter what I ride, from a Goldwing to a cruiser to a 125 scooter. If I can't do all day rides on it, I wouldn't ride it much, and it would not be worth buying. I notice it does have regular handlebars, which the other bike didn't, and they could be changed out for something higher, which would solve that problem.

This bike is so cool looking you can't help but want it, and in this case it is obvious I'm not the only one that thinks so, as with the Yamaha SR400, which we aren't getting anyway. I just love that UJM air cooled inline four. But there are other options, I have also considered the Bonneville T-100 and the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, both of which also push the right buttons for me, and cost about the same. I have actually test ridden the Bonnie, and was seriously considering one, when I saw this. The Bonneville America is a real good fit for me, but I hate it's looks. It looks like the offspring of a Bonneville and a Harley, while missing the good points of both. If I buy another cruiser, it will be a Harley, I won't buy a fake. But I am hoping to get a standard for a change.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #869
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
QUESTION: With a C/R of 9.5 to 1, does this bike run on regular 87 octane gas?
Honda spec is 91 RON, which is typically 86-87 USA pump octane. IOW, regular.

- Mark
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #870
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Thank You, Mark. With a requirement of 87 octane gas, it makes it all the more attractive to buy.

To JerryH's points, to which I largely agree, this is clearly not a peak horsepower bike. It's not going to throw down the gauntlet against sport litrebikes, it's not going to carve twisties at race speed, it's not going to do stoppies and all sorts of tricks, and I really don't care.

Some have argued that Honda should have built a true 750cc engine for the bike. I disagree. An air-cooled 750 in this bike would be a slug for most riders, and would be a deal killer for many potential buyers.

As to the range issues, it's of no concern to me, as most of my riding will be done around town. It was made for the exact same reason it was in 1969: to have fun riding it and for showing off. I may get the luggage rack from Honda, and a tail bag if I occasionally go on a trip with it. 150 miles is long enough to get me down to my summer home down the Vineyard.

Will I mod it? As you can tell from my earlier posts, my first order of business is to swap out the pipes for Hi-Power Fours by Endurance of Japan. This bike needs 4-4 pipes, IMHO, to complete it's purpose as a time machine. If it bumps peak HP by 6 or 7, all the better. I like more hp than stock and bragging rights just as much as the next guy.

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether those aftermarket pipes have cats in them, and whether I have to remap or tweak the engine to take full advantage of them.

What do I normally ride? Horses...

M3-SRT8 screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:02 AM
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote