Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #871
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If I buy another cruiser, it will be a Harley, I won't buy a fake.

I find this HILAROIUS................... I'm curious, will a "fake" cost too little, be too powerful, or stop too quickly for your tastes?

I never know I was riding a "fake" motorcycle. If I "wipe-out" will my injuries be fake too?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #872
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Power is not an issue for me, any 1100 should have more than enough. My Vulcan 750 has enough. Range is not a huge deal either. It's important, but not a deal breaker. My Vulcan has a range of less than 130 miles before hitting reserve. What worries me is the riding position, especially after watching the video and seeing someone actually sitting on it. The pegs are a little bit too far back, ant the bars may be too low.
The tank size seems about right at 3.9 assuming it gets ~50 mpg. That's 175 miles to a .4 gallon (20 mile) reserve. Pretty much what I get on my Scrambler and that has worked out fine for me. FWIW my old, badly-out-of-tune SOHC CB750 struggled to get 125 miles before hitting reserve. Ditto for my 92 Virago 1100. Hell, my '01 Thunderbird had me looking for a gas station by 145 - 150 miles. IMO 150 miles to reserve is more than adequate for a bike of this type. It's not like most riders are taking it up the Alaska Highway (and those who are can make arrangements to carry extra fuel.) Even in our least-populated state (Wyoming) I never had any difficulties with gas except for one time when I foolishly put 92 octane in the tank and then rode on a very windy day (I ended up hitting reserve at 92 miles when I was still 20 miles from any kind of town. Also it was as cold and windy as an early-May day in Wyoming can be.)

Handlebars ought to be an easy fix, though. For that matter a slightly lower seat could help as well. The first long trip I took with my Scrambler I got severe pains in my neck, my thought was that the seat was too high and the bars too low, which left me leaning forward and craning my neck upwards. Solution was to take off the higher (thicker) Scrambler seat and replace it with the lower, more scalloped Bonneville seat, and then put a set of 1" spacers under the stock handlebar - worked great, now I can cruise all day in comfort.

Also a decent windshield will keep the wind off your chest and add to distance riding comfort.

Quote:

This bike is so cool looking you can't help but want it, and in this case it is obvious I'm not the only one that thinks so, as with the Yamaha SR400, which we aren't getting anyway. I just love that UJM air cooled inline four. But there are other options, I have also considered the Bonneville T-100 and the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, both of which also push the right buttons for me, and cost about the same. I have actually test ridden the Bonnie, and was seriously considering one, when I saw this. The Bonneville America is a real good fit for me, but I hate it's looks. It looks like the offspring of a Bonneville and a Harley, while missing the good points of both. If I buy another cruiser, it will be a Harley, I won't buy a fake. But I am hoping to get a standard for a change.
I really liked the Speedmaster when I first saw it, but what killed it for me was those forward controls. I even test rode one at Daytona in 2005 and just hated the way those forward controls felt.
It was just awkward and weird and I kept wanting to put my feet back below my butt where, of course, there were no pegs to be found.

I love my Scrambler but this one is definitely a great looking bike that has everything I would want (it even comes with a factory center stand - what a concept, not having to pay $200+ for a c-stand on a chain driven bike. )

As I said before, I hope it catches on. I don't think it will, but I hope it does. Unfortunately, I'm not really in the market for a new bike as I'm just now farkling up my Scrambler.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #873
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I love my Scrambler but this one is definitely a great looking bike that has everything I would want (it even comes with a factory center stand - what a concept, not having to pay $200+ for a c-stand on a chain driven bike.
Which, regretably, I will loose when I put on aftermarket 4-4 pipes.

Oh, well. Maybe a rear wheel stand will suffice for chain maintinence, etc.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #874
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Which, regretably, I will loose when I put on aftermarket 4-4 pipes.

Oh, well. Maybe a rear wheel stand will suffice for chain maintinence, etc.
Are you sure the c-stand is not 4-4 compatible? Certainly the old Honda CBs of the 70's and 80's had both 4-4 pipes AND centerstands.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #875
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Are you sure the c-stand is not 4-4 compatible? Certainly the old Honda CBs of the 70's and 80's had both 4-4 pipes AND centerstands.
Yeah, I know they did. But, according to Endurance's webpage on the 4-4 system, you loose the centerstand.

I can't attach a link to the page (forum rules) but just Google " Rakuten Hi-Power Four cb1100" and it should come up. In Japanese. Use a translator and it will provide details in hilarious pigeon-english.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #876
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Yeah, I know they did. But, according to Endurance's webpage on the 4-4 system, you loose the centerstand.

I can't attach a link to the page (forum rules) but just Google " Rakuten Hi-Power Four cb1100" and it should come up. In Japanese. Use a translator and it will provide details in hilarious pigeon-english.
There isn't any rule I know of about links?

I like those pipes, but would never pay money to lose functionality to gain aesthetics. Center-stands rock.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #877
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I like those pipes, but would never pay money to lose functionality to gain aesthetics. Center-stands rock.
Generally speaking, the factory will keep their own exhaust systems and centerstand options compatible, but when you go aftermarket on either, you're often SOL.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #878
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
There isn't any rule I know of about links?

I think it's because I'm a noob.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #879
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
""This bike is so cool looking you can't help but want it, and in this case it is obvious I'm not the only one that thinks so, as with the Yamaha SR400, which we aren't getting anyway""

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/17...ied-in-the-us/

Maybe the SR400 is coming here. Cycleworld spotted one here recently...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #880
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the 4-4 Hi-Power Exhaust for the cb1100:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e...180/#reviewsOf

M3-SRT8 screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:42 PM
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #881
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
""This bike is so cool looking you can't help but want it, and in this case it is obvious I'm not the only one that thinks so, as with the Yamaha SR400, which we aren't getting anyway""

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/17...ied-in-the-us/

Maybe the SR400 is coming here. Cycleworld spotted one here recently...
It is cool looking. My taste doesn't run to thumpers, though.

Now, if Kawasaki would come up with a tribute to the 72-73 Z1, that would be something. Perhaps they are watching the US Market acceptance of the cb1100.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #882
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
It is cool looking. My taste doesn't run to thumpers, though.

Now, if Kawasaki would come up with a tribute to the 72-73 Z1, that would be something. Perhaps they are watching the US Market acceptance of the cb1100.
Being in my 60's, we had so many more singles available than twins 40-50 years back. I've had over a dozen singles, both two and four strokes.

What I wish Kawasaki could bring back is a new 750cc two stroke triple, that would actually handle...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #883
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
What I wish Kawasaki could bring back is a new 750cc two stroke triple, that would actually handle...
Oh, Good Luck. With emission standards being what they are, a two-stroke triple ain't in the cards.

My older brother had a '74 Mk IV Triple. One hairy bike. He rode with a guy who had a '73 Z1. THAT'S the bike I'd like to see repro'd or tributed.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #884
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Here's the retro Z concept that was on display at the EICMA show a couple of months ago. This one might appeal to some who feel the CB1100 is close, but no cigar.

Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #885
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Here's the retro Z concept that was on display at the EICMA show a couple of months ago.
To my eyes, the only thing retro about this bike is the tank paint. Everything else is ultra-modern naked streetfighter.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote