ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #961
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest Ohio
Oddometer: 269
Im going to put those little rubber lever covers on mine. No early Honda look alike should come without those cool little rubber covers.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #962
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcester, Mass
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I call bullshit on this old jerry

you say this about a ton of bikes

The Lawn Nazi is cor-rect...

If Honda built an exact replica of the old cb750, as best they could, ya, they would sell a few.

But, most 'purists' would talk about how'd they couldn't wait to buy one, boring the sales staff to tears, and never quite make it to the sales desk to sign on the dotted line. Then, they'd go home and check out Ebay or Craigslist for a 'bargain' mint cb750. They don't exist. Very Good used origional 70-71 cb750s are well north of 10 grand on today's market. So, in the end, they'd do...nothing.

As good as the old 750 KO looked, my eyes tell me the new bike looks better. Especially after you add 4-4 pipes.

...and, who wants to worry about maintinence and parts availability on a 40-plus year old bike? No me. I want to RIDE the damn thing.

M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #963
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
they tried that already with the ZR1100. Great looking bike that fell flat on it's face in the showroom.
Yup, very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Actually, according to Wikipedia, the Zepher Series did well, especially in Europe, where it was responsible for kicking off the naked bike craze in the 90's. Maybe it just did poorly here in the States.
As I said before, big nakeds don't do well in the land of Harley because most of the buyers who prefer big nakeds buy V-twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
If you keep an eye on Craigslist you'll notice that these get snapped up VERY quickly these days. They were just before their time.
See, there's the rub. There are a lot of bikes out there that have a strong appeal in the "secondary" (i.e., used) market. The problem is that until and unless somebody in the "primary" (new) market buys them, they can't get to the secondary market.

If you think about it from the manufacturer's viewpoint, though, they couldn't care less about the secondary market. And why should they? When I bought my 2001 Triumph Thunderbird with just over 2,000 miles on it in 2005, the Triumph Motor Company didn't get a dime from me. So why should they care about what I want?

My worry is that the same thing will happen with the CB. People will buzz about it on the internet, and it will attract a lot of gawkers, tire kickers and old guys dropping by the sales floor to reminisce about the bike they rode "back in the day." But if sales are slow, then eventually the remaining unsold bikes will be unloaded at cost in a couple of years and Honda kills it (at least kills it for the US market.)

And then the bike becomes red hot on the used market not so much because it's not available as because now it is being sold at a price people will be willing to pay. A bike that's red-hot at $7000 might only be lukewarm at $9,000 and ice cold at $10k.

Those Zephyr's that disappear in minutes off of CL do so both because they have something of a cult following, but also because they can be had for $2000. Put those up on CL for the $6000 or $8000 they sold for new (that's just a guess) and they'd sit there for a long time.
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #964
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post

My worry is that the same thing will happen with the CB. People will buzz about it on the internet, and it will attract a lot of gawkers, tire kickers and old guys dropping by the sales floor to reminisce about the bike they rode "back in the day." But if sales are slow, then eventually the remaining unsold bikes will be unloaded at cost in a couple of years and Honda kills it (at least kills it for the US market.)

And then the bike becomes red hot on the used market not so much because it's not available as because now it is being sold at a price people will be willing to pay. A bike that's red-hot at $7000 might only be lukewarm at $9,000 and ice cold at $10k.
It seems Harley has successfully avoided this with the XR1200 by severely limiting supply, and it's been discontinued now. It looks like Honda is planning on following the same path with the CB1100 if you can believe what you read here. If you really want one, you better pick one up this spring.
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #965
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
It seems Harley has successfully avoided this with the XR1200 by severely limiting supply, and it's been discontinued now. It looks like Honda is planning on following the same path with the CB1100 if you can believe what you read here. If you really want one, you better pick one up this spring.
Yeah, I don't buy new. If you look at the depreciation chart on a new motorcycle, it resembles one of those vertical cliffs in the old Roadrunner cartoons - straight down. So I won't be buying anything new, ever again most likely (the "newest" bike I ever bought was my current 08 Scrambler, which was a dealer service loaner and demo bike with 1275 miles on the clock when I bought her - with a full factory warranty and with the 600 mile service having been done by the dealer.)

The rub for UJM lovers like me is this: Do I spend upwards of $8k (even at a discount) for this one? Or do I drop $1000 on that sweet 1982 CB900C I saw on CL last week? Even if you assume I have to dump another $1500 into getting it road worthy (and it's rideable now, according to the seller) that gives me the classic UJM I love at a fraction of the price of a new one. And anyone who's scanned CL knows that there are thousands of bikes just like that: CB900s, DOHC CB750's, GS850's, GS1100's, KZ1000's, XJ1100's, etc, that can be gotten cheap. Not quite as reliable as a brand new bike with a warranty, but at less than 1/5th the cost, what price reliability?
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #966
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
they tried that already with the ZR1100. Great looking bike that fell flat on it's face in the showroom.
I guess its a judgment call but I'd never characterize a bike that had a 7-yr US production run as "falling flat on its face in the showroom".

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #967
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I guess its a judgment call but I'd never characterize a bike that had a 7-yr US production run as "falling flat on its face in the showroom".

- Mark
I think you're confusing two different models. The ZR1100 was air cooled and available from 92-94. It was a sales flop. The ZRX1100\1200 had a 7-yr run from '99-'06 and I agree, a pretty good run.
__________________
John M.
'08 Kawasaki Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #968
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I guess its a judgment call but I'd never characterize a bike that had a 7-yr US production run as "falling flat on its face in the showroom".

- Mark

I wouldn't either. I think you are thinking of the ZRX 1100 and 1200. The ZR, or as some call it, the Zephyr, was a flash in the pan in the US. It did do well in Europe, though.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #969
siyeh
Lawn Nazi
 
siyeh's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,462
Just got off the phone with the boys at Twisted Throttle. They have been busy on the winter bike show circuit. They watch people and their reactions very carefully. From what they have seen, I was told, they are going to support this Honda CB1100 "100%".

So maybe some of those cool bling items I been digging up on those Japan websites will hit our shores
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #970
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Yeah, I don't buy new. If you look at the depreciation chart on a new motorcycle, it resembles one of those vertical cliffs in the old Roadrunner cartoons - straight down. So I won't be buying anything new, ever again most likely (the "newest" bike I ever bought was my current 08 Scrambler, which was a dealer service loaner and demo bike with 1275 miles on the clock when I bought her - with a full factory warranty and with the 600 mile service having been done by the dealer.)

The rub for UJM lovers like me is this: Do I spend upwards of $8k (even at a discount) for this one? Or do I drop $1000 on that sweet 1982 CB900C I saw on CL last week? Even if you assume I have to dump another $1500 into getting it road worthy (and it's rideable now, according to the seller) that gives me the classic UJM I love at a fraction of the price of a new one. And anyone who's scanned CL knows that there are thousands of bikes just like that: CB900s, DOHC CB750's, GS850's, GS1100's, KZ1000's, XJ1100's, etc, that can be gotten cheap. Not quite as reliable as a brand new bike with a warranty, but at less than 1/5th the cost, what price reliability?
Lots of people, including me, on this forum and others have called out for the Big 4 to bring their big naked bikes to the US. Yamaha XJR1300, Suzuki GSX1400, Honda CB1300, and Kawasaki's reprised ZRX1200. Well now Honda is bring in a big naked, the CB1100. It's our turn now to step up and buy the darned thing!

Depreciation be damned, if I was in position to buy a bike I would jump on this as soon as it hit the showroom floor!

It's true that an old bike can be restored. A friend of mine bought a GL1100 last summer. It's a work in progress. He has had to fix some problems more than once. It has broken down and left him on the side of the road a few times. Then there are the parts he can't get and has had to improvise. I would rather have the new bike. All I want to do is customize it a bit, clean and polish it occasionally, do basic maintenance, and ride ride ride!
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #971
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest Ohio
Oddometer: 269
The pitfalls with a true classic bike can be many..how it was maintained? At the least you need oil, oil filter, air filter, battery, couple of tires, probably a set of sprockets and chain, probably fork seals, fork oil change, all new fuses, new bulbs, points and condensers if it had them, possibly all new cables and hydraulic hoses, buggered up screw and bolt heads and you are still dealing with 30 to 40 year old electrical wiring and connections, Thats if it doesn't have much rust, its not presently leaking oil, and the carbs are in decent shape. ( can you tell Ive been there? lol)Don't get me wrong owning a classic is immensely pleasurable if you are the mechanical type and don't really plan on going anywhere.

A true classic is not a bike you check the oil and chain tension and then jump on and take off on a 2000 mile round trip without spares and a back up plan. Personally I love the idea of modern classics like the Triumph Bonnevilles, the Moto Guzzi classics and the Honda CB 1100, bikes you can check oil level and chain tension, hop on and take off for anywhere pretty secure in the knowledge that its going to bring you back home again without any drama. I don't like drama on my motorcycle rides. I like going and coming home again drama free.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #972
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I think you're confusing two different models. The ZR1100 was air cooled and available from 92-94. It was a sales flop. The ZRX1100\1200 had a 7-yr run from '99-'06 and I agree, a pretty good run.
You're right, I was thinking of the ZRX not the Zephyr. But since we're talking in the context of the question of whether retro has "sales legs", the ELR-looking ZRX seemed a lot more retro to me than the ZR and, as you say, had a pretty good run.

I always thought the Zephyr was in complete no-mans lands - not retro, not cutting edge, not budget, not beginner, but something in the middle of them all. Something like the CB750 Nighthawk only more expensive. And its looks never did anything for me. I don't think it says much about the possible sales success/failure of the CB1100.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #973
xrcris
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Everett, Socialist Republic of WA(aaaaaahh)
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Lots of people, including me, on this forum and others have called out for the Big 4 to bring their big naked bikes to the US. Yamaha XJR1300, Suzuki GSX1400, Honda CB1300, and Kawasaki's reprised ZRX1200. Well now Honda is bring in a big naked, the CB1100. It's our turn now to step up and buy the darned thing!
All of those bikes are modern, albeit naked, looking bikes. The CB1100 is somewhere in the middle between trying to appear retro, but with an updated look at the same time. I'm not sure what market they are trying to hit, but to me it seems to be a compromise? Some people (like me) think it's not living up to the old CB's, and i suspect at the other end of the spectrum, a lot of people will think it looks too old (at least compared to the other bikes you listed), and in the end neither group is happy.

As Zapp mentioned, I don't buy new either, so Honda has no interest in me, but it will be interesting to see how the CB1100 is received by the larger motorcycling community. (I'd happily pick one up for $2K, ala Zephyr, in a couple years though,)
__________________
I don't ride, I commute.....

'94 XR-L
'99 VFR
'03 V-Strom
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #974
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 1,016
Couldn't wait.

I've been interested in the CB for a good while now, and confirmed with my dealer that I got first right of refusal when theirs came in. Today I made a decision about my concerns about ergos, cost of bike in my locale, etc, and decided to purchase something very different. Picked up a KTM Duke 690. Basically a supermoto/motard with a larger gas tank and lights.

I will probably do as others have mentioned and wait to see how they sell and what the used market will bear in a couple of years...In the mean time I will have a ball with the 690. tomp dd50
__________________
Little Fauss: I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life, then I fell off.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #975
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Oddometer: 4,240
A buddy at work that I showed the new CB1100 to was impressed, but countered with the Tiger 800 ... which I admit is a real nice looking all-'rounder.

Gosh, I'm torn now.

I promised myself that if they ever came out with a good UJM (of which the ergos on this CB need to be felt and seen)... I'd get one as it would be a keeper for life. And with as many good paved roads as exist in the USA... it sure wouldn't hurt much if that bike was just meant for pavement like the CB1100 seems to be (with that 18" front wheel that no-one seems to make a traction-y front tire for).

But if the Tiger 800 has the ergonomics of the old UJM's... then wouldn't it win by default? I mean, seriously, it's about the ergos and all-day, multi-day ride-ability here, isn't it?
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014