Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #1081
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
I really like the looks of that CBF1000. Practical and versatile are the two most endearing traits a bike can have, IMO.

But I am the Flying Dutchman of the motorcycle world - the bikes I like all tend to sink like the Titanic.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1082
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I really like the looks of that CBF1000. Practical and versatile are the two most endearing traits a bike can have, IMO.

But I am the Flying Dutchman of the motorcycle world - the bikes I like all tend to sink like the Titanic.
The CBF is popular in UK, Europe, but it doesn't look like the US will ever see them. Canada got the 1000 in 2008 (I think it was first introduced in 2006), and we got the CBF600 and a revised 1000 in 2010.

I wish the US would get them, since it would increase the aftermarket.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #1083
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
The CBF is a neat bike, although it wouldnt satisfy the wants of the buyers that will want the CB 1100. It's too modern. Too much plastic, liquid cooled with no fins on the motor, the rear half of the bike still looks too road racerish, with the back end sticking up, and too much gap between the rear tire and the fender, frame looks hideous, almost like a bridge structure ( even if it is better, lighter, stronger). I think the guys ( including me) who desire this CB 1100 are pretty specific about what we want. A motorcycle that looks like it was produced between 69 and 85, only updated with better ignition and brakes.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #1084
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
The CBF is a neat bike, although it wouldnt satisfy the wants of the buyers that will want the CB 1100. It's too modern. Too much plastic, liquid cooled with no fins on the motor, the rear half of the bike still looks too road racerish, with the back end sticking up, and too much gap between the rear tire and the fender, frame looks hideous, almost like a bridge structure ( even if it is better, lighter, stronger). I think the guys ( including me) who desire this CB 1100 are pretty specific about what we want. A motorcycle that looks like it was produced between 69 and 85, only updated with better ignition and brakes.
I suspect you are right. Honda would be wiser to bring in the 1100. It compares favorably to other "retro" bikes, where the 1000 would get compared to the Suzuki GSF1250FA and the Ninja 1000. I still think I would prefer the CBF1000 to either of those. I don't really give a rat's ass about which one is faster. It seems the American market mostly fits into one of three categories - Ricky Racer, Luxobarge, or Easy Rider. The CBF does not fit in any of those categories. Neither does the CB1100, but there may just be enough fringe buyers to support it.

If I had a choice between the CB1100 and the CBF1000, it would be a difficult decision. I like the looks of the CB1100, and I like what I see the aftermarket doing with it. The newer, restyled CBF1000 is quite a bit more attractive than the previous version (sorry Jon_I), and it has a bigger tank, aluminum frame, and liquid cooling.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #1085
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
It seems the American market mostly fits into one of three categories - Ricky Racer, Luxobarge, or Easy Rider.
No, four categories:

You forgot "Adventure Rider" - the SUV of the motorcycle world. You know, the BMW GS or similar bike with every accessory from the Aerostich catalog. Has pretty much become the next big motorcycle stereotype.

In fact, it seems like a lot of the big companies are putting more effort into those than they are into their cruiser or sportbike lines, look at Triumph, for example, with all the new Tiger series bikes they're introducing.

One of the reasons I'm pessimistic about the future of the CB1100 in the US is that here, motorcycles have to fit a 'niche' and the CB really doesn't fit one. It's not "classic" looking enough to be a "retro" bike like the Triumph twins or the Guzzi V7, and it's not fast enough to be a sportbike, nor is it "farkled" enough to be an adventure bike (plus it lacks the dual-sport capabilities, although I doubt that most big "adventure" bikes see much dirt. Mine sure as hell doesn't.) And without a V-twin it's obviously not a "cruiser" so where does it fit? Nowhere, at least not in the American market.

This is the problem that has plagued the Japanese big-4 for years and the reason that all of their other attempts at re-introducing the UJM to the US market have failed, with the notable exception of the Nighthawk 750, a bike where the primary attraction was a low price.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #1086
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post

One of the reasons I'm pessimistic about the future of the CB1100 in the US is that here, motorcycles have to fit a 'niche' and the CB really doesn't fit one. It's not "classic" looking enough to be a "retro" bike like the Triumph twins or the Guzzi V7, and it's not fast enough to be a sportbike, nor is it "farkled" enough to be an adventure bike (plus it lacks the dual-sport capabilities, although I doubt that most big "adventure" bikes see much dirt. Mine sure as hell doesn't.) And without a V-twin it's obviously not a "cruiser" so where does it fit?

Hopefully in my garage!!!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #1087
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
[/COLOR]
Hopefully in my garage!!!!
Me too! Screw these Debbie Downers!!
(Don't take that the wrong way! ;-) )

As soon as I get it, it'll be thrown into my 50ish mile a day work commute. As long as its above 40, I take the bike.

DesmoTull screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 03:56 PM
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1088
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
Me too! Screw these Debbie Downers!!

+3 ^

I'm gonna ride the PISS outa this thing
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1089
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
No, four categories:

You forgot "Adventure Rider" - the SUV of the motorcycle world. You know, the BMW GS or similar bike with every accessory from the Aerostich catalog. Has pretty much become the next big motorcycle stereotype.

In fact, it seems like a lot of the big companies are putting more effort into those than they are into their cruiser or sportbike lines, look at Triumph, for example, with all the new Tiger series bikes they're introducing.

One of the reasons I'm pessimistic about the future of the CB1100 in the US is that here, motorcycles have to fit a 'niche' and the CB really doesn't fit one. It's not "classic" looking enough to be a "retro" bike like the Triumph twins or the Guzzi V7, and it's not fast enough to be a sportbike, nor is it "farkled" enough to be an adventure bike (plus it lacks the dual-sport capabilities, although I doubt that most big "adventure" bikes see much dirt. Mine sure as hell doesn't.) And without a V-twin it's obviously not a "cruiser" so where does it fit? Nowhere, at least not in the American market.

This is the problem that has plagued the Japanese big-4 for years and the reason that all of their other attempts at re-introducing the UJM to the US market have failed, with the notable exception of the Nighthawk 750, a bike where the primary attraction was a low price.
I believe the CB 1100 IS retro enough to be accepted.What isnt perfect to the individual will be fixed by the aftermarket.

To the Triumph " purists" the new Bonneville has its own styling miscues as well. The tank is bulbous and too large, it lacks the correct space between the motor and frame, the pipes are a disaster, too square in the front and a goofy kink in the rear and quiet as a church mouse. Still its the closest thing to the original available today, so they sell a bunch of them to old guys like me ( I bought one in 2003 and sold it to my younger brother in 2008) Nice bike, very smooth, a little gutless, and weak braking. Most owners immediately change the exhaust to at least Triumphs Off Road Pipes, add the factory grab rail and a centerstand. All those cost about $ 1000. believe me there is a huge aftermarket for selling stuff to make the new Bonnevilles more closely resemble the originals.

The MotoGuzzis have their own issues as well, they are physically small, with a small block motor instead of the originals big block motor, they are terribly underpowered ( some tests reporting 36 rwhp ) and have poor braking as well, and if Im not mistaken some of them have the plastic gas tanks that have been having swelling issues.

Additionally both have small tires typical of the day and similar to the CB 1100s

Yet, they are still accounting for a good part of their maquees sales.

I think Honda will do alright with the CB 1100.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #1090
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Agreed, the CBF1000 and CB1100 aren't aiming for the same market. I was only offering my 3 years on a CBF feedback as linked ABS brakes, weight, detuned 4-cyl Honda engines, FI, etc. look to be pretty close, so fuel economy should be similar.

Frame looks hideous? Hell, you can't see the frame, but for a few inches above the pegs, and where the passenger pegs mount, the rest is plastic-covered.

I certainly didn't say they should bring the CBF to the US. It isn't a cruiser or a sport bike or the fastest bike in its class, so it doesn't make any sense to bring it in so people can ignore it in the showrooms. I only said I wish they would, so I could get more aftermarket accessories without bringing them from the UK.

I prefer the look of the CB over the CBF, and I own the CBF. But I was born in the 1950s as probably were a lot of folks who think the CB1100 is a fine looking machine. I like round headlights!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #1091
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The newer, restyled CBF1000 is quite a bit more attractive than the previous version (sorry Jon_I), and it has a bigger tank, aluminum frame, and liquid cooling.
Likely you haven't seen the side-by-side?

All CBFs are liquid cooled. The 2010 version has single exhaust, came in 1 awful colour (gold), has the same size fuel tank (less than 1 liter difference), lost a few pounds and picked up a few HP (though not much), the newer version lost the lovely integrated rear turn signals. Side by side the previous gen bike looks better to me.

I bought my '09 as a left-over, when the '10 was just out, and while I do prefer the older model aesthetically, most importantly, I saved almost 30% off MSRP.

All that said, your opinion is valid, of course No sorry necessary.

Now back to the CB1100!

jon_l screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 04:27 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #1092
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Agreed, the CBF1000 and CB1100 aren't aiming for the same market. I was only offering my 3 years on a CBF feedback as linked ABS brakes, weight, detuned 4-cyl Honda engines, FI, etc. look to be pretty close, so fuel economy should be similar.

Frame looks hideous? Hell, you can't see the frame, but for a few inches above the pegs, and where the passenger pegs mount, the rest is plastic-covered.

I certainly didn't say they should bring the CBF to the US. It isn't a cruiser or a sport bike or the fastest bike in its class, so it doesn't make any sense to bring it in so people can ignore it in the showrooms. I only said I wish they would, so I could get more aftermarket accessories without bringing them from the UK.

I prefer the look of the CB over the CBF, and I own the CBF. But I was born in the 1950s as probably were a lot of folks who think the CB1100 is a fine looking machine. I prefer round headlights.

Jon didn't mean it to sound like I was knocking your CBF, and I appreciate your insight on the motor brakes etc. I was also born in the 50 s (only missed being born the the 40s by 5 1/2 months) and grew up in a motorcycling family, my mom & dad rode, my older brother and sister rode, and my younger brother also rides. We all favor the look of standard motorcycles with exposed motors, round tube frames, round headlights and instruments, fenders right over the wheels, tailights on top of the fenders. To me this is how motorcycles are supposed to look. I have no issue with other generations liking different styling on bikes, be them sport bikes, or ADV bikes, or cruisers for that matter, the difference being for the last 30 years, they have built lots of different style bikes, but very few in the style I like.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #1093
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Jon didn't mean it to sound like I was knocking your CBF, and I appreciate your insight on the motor brakes etc. I was also born in the 50 s (only missed being born the the 40s by 5 1/2 months) and grew up in a motorcycling family, my mom & dad rode, my older brother and sister rode, and my younger brother also rides. We all favor the look of standard motorcycles with exposed motors, round tube frames, round headlights and instruments, fenders right over the wheels, tailights on top of the fenders. To me this is how motorcycles are supposed to look. I have no issue with other generations liking different styling on bikes, be them sport bikes, or ADV bikes, or cruisers for that matter, the difference being for the last 30 years, they have built lots of different style bikes, but very few in the style I like.
That's how I think motorcycles should look too.
However, I think it would further suit my tastes with a 4 into 4 exhaust. And as cool as those non-floating brake disk wheels look, I would rather have a beautiful set of gleaming spoked wheels.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1094
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Likely you haven't seen the side-by-side?

All CBFs are liquid cooled. The 2010 version has single exhaust, came in 1 awful colour (gold), has the same size fuel tank (less than 1 liter difference), lost a few pounds and picked up a few HP (though not much), the newer version lost the lovely integrated rear turn signals. Side by side the previous gen bike looks better to me.

I bought my '09 as a left-over, when the '10 was just out, and while I do prefer the older model aesthetically, most importantly, I saved almost 30% off MSRP.

All that said, your opinion is valid, of course No sorry necessary.

Now back to the CB1100!

I didn't make myself clear - I was only comparing the 2010 cbf vs the 2009 aesthetically. I haven't seen either in person, I'm just going off the pictures I have seen. I don't like gold either.

the other comparisons were cbf vs cb1100 - liquid cooling vs air cooling, aluminum frame vs steel frame, etc.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #1095
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

The original mock up this bike was much different with a Triumph- esq fuel tank, fork gaiters, 4 separate exhaust pipes and spoke wheels. It eas quite fetching, although for sure the tank would have made people unhappy.

http://powersports.honda.com/experie...0811ac096.aspx

Look at the 3 rd and 4 th thumbnails in the gallery

I would have loved to have this version!

The other Ferret screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:28 PM