Fair write up I'd say. thanks.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1277
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Son..OF..A..B**** I cannot wait until this bike finally hits the shore..lessons in salesmanship..other things that Honda does or doesn't do right...
At least then all the people on this thread that were never going to get one anyway..will have new reasons and theory's.
Gary
We're sorry! See, I'm putting the gun down - you don't have to read this thread anymore. Run along, now!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #1278
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Interested to know what you did not like about it.

Also, BMW is coming out with a retro in 2013. Google New BMW retro for a drawing of what it might look like.
Well, just little things, like the ergos of the pegs to seat. The shape of the tank. For some reason, (maybe I never looked at the pics close enough), I thought the tank would be rounder. From the seat's point of view, it's too squared off for me to like it.

It's fairly small for an 1100cc bike, so I suppose this is good news/bad news. I wish it were a bit larger overall. The 4 into 1 pipes, I suppose they were trying to capture the magic of the old CB400, but I think 4 into 2 or even the old 4 into 4 would've looked better. We've seen examples of this right in this thread.

Little things like that. Maybe the CB1100 was displayed too closely to the Triumph display at the show I attended. T100 vs. CB1100? Well, I would've picked the Bonnie, especially since you can find new Bonnies in the $8K range.

So, a lot of little subjective stuff. Maybe I just want it look like a '69 CB750 with all the modern advantages. For the record, I've never owned an old CB but have ridden many of them.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1279
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Who cares if Honda's motorcycle sales staff is wanting of professionalism? Get over it.

I'm buying a bike, not a sales organization. I'm more concerned with the Service Dept, and I'm not even very concerned with that. It's a Honda, fer chrissakes. It won't break unless you crash it.

I read the MCN Review. Pretty fair assessment of the cb1100.

Funny how the reviewer's reservation about it being a little lacking in retro-performance. CB750s, as I recall, were pretty lacking in 'character', even when they were effortlessly trouncing everything in sight. And staying out of the Service Dept.

He wished it was more closely patterned after the cb750 or 750F. Why? So Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha can come along later and out cc them, like the '72 Z1? I think that is one history Honda does NOT want to repeat. But, to his point, I will immediately mod the cb1100 (when it arrives in May) with Endurance 4-4 Hi-Power Four exhaust, and tweak up the power while I'm at it.

Whereas my Ducati is oft-described as a Ferrarri on two wheels, the cb1100 seems to be a creamy smooth Cadillac. OK by me. I like Caddies, too.

M3-SRT8 screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 09:56 AM
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1280
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
Well, just little things, like the ergos of the pegs to seat. The shape of the tank. For some reason, (maybe I never looked at the pics close enough), I thought the tank would be rounder. From the seat's point of view, it's too squared off for me to like it.

It's fairly small for an 1100cc bike, so I suppose this is good news/bad news. I wish it were a bit larger overall. The 4 into 1 pipes, I suppose they were trying to capture the magic of the old CB400, but I think 4 into 2 or even the old 4 into 4 would've looked better. We've seen examples of this right in this thread.

Little things like that. Maybe the CB1100 was displayed too closely to the Triumph display at the show I attended. T100 vs. CB1100? Well, I would've picked the Bonnie, especially since you can find new Bonnies in the $8K range.

So, a lot of little subjective stuff. Maybe I just want it look like a '69 CB750 with all the modern advantages. For the record, I've never owned an old CB but have ridden many of them.
Cool, thanks for the reply. Its kind of funny how everyone can dream about a bike and then often you will know in the first 15 seconds of actually sitting on and seeing it in person will tell you if you really like it or not. I am getting a little anxious to put money down on it but that seems silly without even seeing it yet. Of course the only other bike I bought new I did just that and haven't been at all sorry. Still love my cbr250r but wouldn't mind a little more go and less plastic.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #1281
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The CB1100 is reviewed in the March edition of BIKE magazine (out of the UK). In a nutshell, they more or less say that the CB1100 slays everything else in that class of bikes such as the Bonneville and the W800. They loved the design and build quality as well as the performance of the bike for it's intended purpose.

As far as putting money down on the bike, I can't see why not. The dealers I spoke with offered fully refundable deposit policies. If I decide that the bike isn't for me, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem for them to find another taker as it seems the supply is going to be very limited at first.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #1282
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
I don't doubt that its going to sit a little sportier than previous UJMs and I don't understand why they did that, but again, not a deal breaker for me. Maybe it will make more sense in a long series of curves.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #1283
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

7 way retro review

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=snLSM...%3DsnLSM8MGNA8
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #1284
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
I don't doubt that its going to sit a little sportier than previous UJMs and I don't understand why they did that, but again, not a deal breaker for me. Maybe it will make more sense in a long series of curves.
They did it because the cb1100 is an evolutionary bike, not a pure homage/classic bike. I think it's like a 21st Century cb750/400/750F, and the seating position reflects that. Things evolve, including seating position, ergos, etc.

I sat on the bike. Coming from a 2006 Ducati S2R, I'm comfortable on it. The ergos are first rate, and, at 6'0", the bike fits me like a tailored Hugo Boss suit. I like the footpeg position just fine. It's more of a modernized classic sport bike rather than a cruiser (thank God). I don't want to look like an old Fudd on it.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #1285
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Today was a beautiful one and a ride on the Duke 690 was needed. While blasting around on that super naked bike, I realized that I had a big decision to make. Both bikes are unique in their own ways, and have pluses and minuses. Both will put me into the wind and and that's ok. The 1100 will probably get 40mpg, where the Duke is getting 60. The 1100's seating position will be more cramped for me, according to cycle-ergos.com. The Duke goes through twisties I'm sure much better than the skinny 18" tires will allow the 1100. The toughest part is the $2000, at least, more the dealer will want in the trade deal and they are the ones who also sold me the Duke.

Like others have said,I am going to have to see it and at least sit on it, because I know there will be no test rides available for the CB, to see if the change will be worth it. Decisions, decisions....... tomp dd50.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #1286
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
Ok I'm out. The new Honda CTX just stole the show for me. It certainly doesn't have the CB1100s stunning good looks, but it appears to be a far more practical touring bike (which is mostly what I do) for someone my age and in my condition. I want the manual transmission non ABS version.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #1287
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Ok I'm out. The new Honda CTX just stole the show for me. It certainly doesn't have the CB1100s stunning good looks, but it appears to be a far more practical touring bike (which is mostly what I do) for someone my age and in my condition. I want the manual transmission non ABS version.
Good for you Jerry. I've been on that thread, too. I was hoping for something a little different, as I have an RT for touring.. Getting 70mpg instead of the 43 I get is a great benefit for the 700. Really wanted the NT700V a while back, but they wanted about $4k too much for it,. The CTX is a proper replacement for it. Just needs some bags and you'll be ready to tour. tomp dd50
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #1288
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 902
The new CTX..?
mmm uh Ok..I guess we over here can officially stop complaining about the fuel capacity, the CTX only has 3.17
I think Honda thinks their customer base must ride in the city limits.
This 1100 is looking better by the second.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #1289
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
The new CTX..?
mmm uh Ok..I guess we over here can officially stop complaining about the fuel capacity, the CTX only has 3.17
I think Honda thinks their customer base must ride in the city limits.
This 1100 is looking better by the second.
Gary
LOL 3.17 gals? They'll never sell those out west.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #1290
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
LOL 3.17 gals? They'll never sell those out west.
Honda is estimating around 200 miles on those three gallons. Not bad, but the bike still doesn't appeal to me...