Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
If I wanted a bike that ugly, I would buy the honda cb1000r
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #1442
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
That must be one short stroke engine. My Duke 690 single turns a thousand RPM's less at 80 than this bike and it is a short stroke single. Wonder if it pulls hard or linearly between about 8 and 13K... Probably more competition for the CB1000R, in look and desig, but $3000 cheaper than the R.

DPG, you snuck in the pic while was hunting and pecking on my keyboard, the same info. Crazy...tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #1443
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
This video might interest some of you. It's a braking test of a cb1100 with ABS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRMIWqGzj4

I wonder how linked ABS works on this bike, i.e. if you mash down on either the front OR rear brake does it engage the ABS to both.

Also, with an ABS bike like this, what would be the best technique to shed speed in a hurry?
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #1444
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Ok I know this is the CB1100 thread, and I am off topic with this, but hey since we have nothing to do but wait anyway - I thought I would throw this out there and see how you retro Honda lovers responded. I think this is a really fantastic bike, and a good alternative...
The CB1100 is attracting some of us, maybe many of us, solely for the ergonomics that the UJM's used to have. Now many of us haven't sat on one, so it remains to see if even the CB1100 is an alternative to what many of us remember good all-around bikes as being. If that Yamaha has the ergos, then so be it. Nothing in that video shows ergos, so it is pretty difficult to say what it is.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:34 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #1445
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The CB1100 is attracting some of us, maybe many of us, solely for the ergonomics the the UJM used to have. Now many of us haven't sat on one, so it remains to see if even the CB1100 is an alternative to what many of us remember good all-around bikes as being. If that Yamaha has the ergos, then so be it. Nothing in that video shows ergos, so it is pretty difficult to say what it is.
I sat on one a week ago and it was very comfy to me (I'm around 6 feet tall). For what it's worth, my father who also sat on it for a while instantly yelled; just like my 750 back in the day!
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #1446
Starkmojo
Banned

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Ok I know this is the CB1100 thread, and I am off topic with this, but hey since we have nothing to do but wait anyway - I thought I would throw this out there and see how you retro Honda lovers responded. I think this is a really fantastic bike, and a good alternative...

From yamaha website:
Footpegs placed for a compact, rider forward ride.

Not what I am looking for in a bike.
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #1447
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 933
That bike is as far away from the CB as you can get
Flat paint..fail..that head light..Nothing a chainsaw and sledgehammer wont fix but still FAIL
Next..
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #1448
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The CB1100 is attracting some of us, maybe many of us, solely for the ergonomics that the UJM's used to have. Now many of us haven't sat on one, so it remains to see if even the CB1100 is an alternative to what many of us remember good all-around bikes as being. If that Yamaha has the ergos, then so be it. Nothing in that video shows ergos, so it is pretty difficult to say what it is.
The thing about "ergos" is that on a UJM style bike you can, within reason, modify the ergos. If the stance is too far forward (too much weight on the wrists, too much craning the neck up) a higher handlebar or spacer will help, as will a lower seat. That's exactly what I did on my Scrambler and the ergos are nearly perfect.

Speaking of UJM ergos, I had an old UJM that was almost perfect except for the bars. 1982 Kawasaki Spectre 750. Bought for $800 in 2007 with about 20,000 miles on it. Badly faded paint but it ran like a top. Those "buckhorn" handlebars were horrible but once I replaced them with a set of flatter bars, it was PERFECT. In fact, despite the upright seating position, I never felt the need for a windshield which is why it is the only motorcycle I've ever owned that didn't have a shield on it.

Before:

After:

Other shots:

I sold it for $850 when I got the Scrambler in 2009 but there are times when I wish I still had it. 750cc 4 cyl, shaft drive, alloy wheels, centerstand, full instrumentation (including a pretty much useless fuel gauge.) In a lot of ways it was a perfect all-around motorcycle. It saddens me that nobody seems to make a motorcycle like this any more. I have hopes for the CB1100 but I've also got reservations about whether Honda has the persistence to stand behind this model and make it a success. If they only sell limited numbers and fail to promote it in favor of something like the ghastly CTX700, I don't see a good future for it in the US, and that's a shame.

BTW am I the only one that's amused that the CTX is categorized as a "cruiser" while the CB1100 is categorized as a "Sportbike" on Honda's web site?
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #1449
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Wanna eliminate the mess on the rear of the bike, at least chain wise? Use Du Pont Teflon Multi-use dry Wax Lubricant. Comes in an 11oz can for $5-7.00 Available at Lowes. Spray it on, let it sit for the time prescribed and there will be no slinging mess on the wheels, etc. Started using it on off road bikes. Dust and dirt don't cling to the chain. Simply wipes off with a rag. Won't mess with the seal rings either. tp dd50
I have used it for years, good stuff.

Unfortunately, DuPont changed the formulation and name last year. They dropped the "dry wax" part, and now it isn't (dry).

Webbikeworld no longer recommends it. I haven't tried the new formula, because I stocked up on the old one.

DuPont also came out with a chain-specific product:

but reviews are not as good as the old dry wax product. I have a can at home, waiting to try out once the dry wax supply runs out this summer.I also have several old formula in the small squeeze bottles, which is less convenience, but due to the small size, is good for travelling.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #1450
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post

I wonder how linked ABS works on this bike, i.e. if you mash down on either the front OR rear brake does it engage the ABS to both.

Also, with an ABS bike like this, what would be the best technique to shed speed in a hurry?
On my '09 CBF1000, the ABS linked brakes are linked 1 direction - activating the rear brake lever automatically engages 1 (I think?) piston on the front, but front doesn't activate the rear.

I have had 2 occasions riding the CBF when emergency stops were req'd, and on both i was very happy with the fast, controlled stops and lack of contact (except nuts to tank). My "technique" was to grab all the brakes I could and hang on.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1451
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
On my '09 CBF1000, the ABS linked brakes are linked 1 direction - activating the rear brake lever automatically engages 1 (I think?) piston on the front, but front doesn't activate the rear.

I have had 2 occasions riding the CBF when emergency stops were req'd, and on both i was very happy with the fast, controlled stops and lack of contact (except nuts to tank). My "technique" was to grab all the brakes I could and hang on.

I love that last line lol

My St 1300 has linked brakes (not abs) and if you squeeze the brake lever on the bars it activates some of the front brake and some of the rear brake, but a bigger proprtion of front. Same with depressing the brake pedal, it activates some front and some rear, but a bigger proportion of rear. On the ST forum many owners have had issues with the proportioning valve and secondary master cylinder which controls that, and bleeding them is such a complicated affair that it took the trained mechanics at my shop 4 tries to get mine bled properly...and Im convinced they still arent right. My wife and I rode half of our vacation last year thru Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming, including over Bear Tooth Pass with no pressure in the rear brake pedal. I was able to use the front brake lever for stopping however. The 4 th bleed job on mine was the day I got home from that trip.Goldwings had a factory recall on the secondary master cylinders on that model.

Thats the main reason I want good old fashioned brakes that arent linked and that I can bleed myself.

Not sure what effect that has on the ABS part of it, I just knew I didnt wAnt anymore linked brakes.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #1452
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Also I have ridden the FZ 8, nothing like a CB1100. Its a mini F Z -1 and fits in Yamahas line up between the beginner 600 cc FZ 6 and the liter bike FZ-1
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1453
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I looked at the fz8 also but its just not the type of bike for me. It just leans to being more of a sportbike than I want.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #1454
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,319
For all you guys bad mouthing the Sportys, let's get a couple of facts straight. This is my '04 XL1200R

This bike is stock except for seat, back rest/luggage rack, air cleaner, and mufflers. It does have the rubber mount engine since '04 and not '07 was the first year for this system. Suspension travel is 5.6" front and 4.1" rear. You'll also notice it has mid controls and triple disk brakes. It stops just fine and nothing has vibrated off. And yes, it was manufactured within the last two decades, contrary to a previous remark. In fact the 1200S was a similar version in the rigid mounts but with even better suspension, also made within the last two decades. Sadly though, you are correct that HD no longer makes a "standard" Sporty since the XL1200R was discontinued after '08 and the XR is now gone as well.

I love the look of the new 1100 Honda and if I were in the market for a bike in this class, it would likely be a tough choice between it and my Roadster. But since I manged to buy this one with less than 4k miles for $6k less than what the new CB1100 is priced, the Sporty would probably win.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #1455
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post

What is this abomination doing in my thread?