Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #1471
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
I love that last line lol

My St 1300 has linked brakes (not abs) and if you squeeze the brake lever on the bars it activates some of the front brake and some of the rear brake, but a bigger proprtion of front. Same with depressing the brake pedal, it activates some front and some rear, but a bigger proportion of rear. On the ST forum many owners have had issues with the proportioning valve and secondary master cylinder which controls that, and bleeding them is such a complicated affair that it took the trained mechanics at my shop 4 tries to get mine bled properly...and Im convinced they still arent right. My wife and I rode half of our vacation last year thru Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming, including over Bear Tooth Pass with no pressure in the rear brake pedal. I was able to use the front brake lever for stopping however. The 4 th bleed job on mine was the day I got home from that trip.Goldwings had a factory recall on the secondary master cylinders on that model.

Thats the main reason I want good old fashioned brakes that arent linked and that I can bleed myself.

Not sure what effect that has on the ABS part of it, I just knew I didnt wAnt anymore linked brakes.

Not to jack this thread but I had a Vtec VFR for a number of years, I'm far from a bike technician but managed to bleed my linked brakes just fine with no troubles.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #1472
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Maintenance Info.

I wondered what maintenace requirements there are. My cbr250 required an initial valve adjustment at $360 and 600mi. I think it is every 8000mi. after that. I asked at the dealer and they said they thought the valve adjustment would be $390 on the 1100 and be the same interval as the 250. One vs. four cylinders the cost especially doen't seem right. Anyway, you would think there would be someone from Australia or Japan that would want to chime in on ADVrider. But then again they would get bombarded with 10,000 questions on this thread.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #1473
ARDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Most of us don't ride on ice and snow all that often. Sucks to be you!
I don't even know what that means. Really stupid comment.
ARDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #1474
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDirt View Post
I was wondering what it meant, too. Since you don't show a location, I'm not sure whether you get ice and snow there or not. Maybe Dave knows where you live.... dd50 tomp

dpg, is the tupperware that involved to deal with, that it takes almost 4 hours to adjust eight valves? Figuring around $100 an hr labor.

For what we pay for this two wheel hobby, valves shouldn't need checking at 600 miles. If the potential for such actual adjustment is needed so early in the engine's life, then the Mfgr should pay for it. We drive four valve dohc engines in out cars and trucks for 100,000 miles plus and never need to check the valves.

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 01:34 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1475
hoodellyhoo
Dummy

Oddometer: 212
I'm sorry to be off topic but I had to laugh when I saw this nugget of wisdom in the CTX thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you do not like this bike, go find a thread for a bike you do like.

As for the cb1100, I wasn't able to go to the chicago bike show and it seems that it will be hard to find one sitting at a dealer so I don't know when I will be able to get a good look at one. I do know that I haven't been this interested in a new bike in a long time.
hoodellyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #1476
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Some have been tough on JerryH on that thread, for really liking the new CTX. He, I thought, was offering rather sage advice to the nay sayers and harassers, with out getting nasty. tp
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #1477
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Not to jack this thread but I had a Vtec VFR for a number of years, I'm far from a bike technician but managed to bleed my linked brakes just fine with no troubles.
On the ST there are 7 locations that have to be bled, in a particular order, and the SMC has to be remoaved and held at a specific angle while one of the steps is being bled. Believe me its a complicated deal and one owners over at the ST forum have plenty of problems with. Not sure if the procedure is the same for the VFR.

Here is procedure for the ST

Brake Lever

1. Left Outer (upper) bleed valve.
2. Right Outer (upper) bleed valve.

Brake Pedal

1. Remove and tilt left front caliper 15 degrees (wood shims inserted between the pads will keep the pads from extending while~if pedal is pumped)
2. Proportioning Control bleed valve.
3. Rear Brake Center bleed valve.
4. Right Front Center bleed valve.
5. Left Front Center bleed valve.
6. Rear Outer (forward) bleed valve.

Anyhow, Ive never had valves adjusted at the 600 mile service. Its oil, filter, and check nuts and bolts and throttle play, chain slack etc.

It is crazy that Honda requires valves to be adjusted at 8,000 miles. My FZ a much higher performance bike with 5 valves per cylinder calls for the first valve adjustment at 26,000 miles.

The other Ferret screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 02:30 PM
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1478
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
The CTX with auto, would be a great bike for my daughter. The Cb1100 would be a good bike for her boy friend.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #1479
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I wondered what maintenace requirements there are. My cbr250 required an initial valve adjustment at $360 and 600mi. I think it is every 8000mi. after that. I asked at the dealer and they said they thought the valve adjustment would be $390 on the 1100 and be the same interval as the 250. One vs. four cylinders the cost especially doen't seem right. Anyway, you would think there would be someone from Australia or Japan that would want to chime in on ADVrider. But then again they would get bombarded with 10,000 questions on this thread.
I don't own one, but I recall the adjustment interval on the CBR250R was a 600-mile check, then every 16K. But the CB1100 intervals, at least in other markets where it is currently shipping, are 8K, probably shorter than other Honda motors due to the air-cooled engine. (Don't know if there is a 600-mile check.)

Costs for this service vary all over the map, so it is difficult to make comparisons. Typically a four-cyl will be more but not 4X more since the lion's share of the work gaining access to valve train is more/less the same, regardless of the number of cylinders.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #1480
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I don't own one, but I recall the adjustment interval on the CBR250R was a 600-mile check, then every 16K. But the CB1100 intervals, at least in other markets where it is currently shipping, are 8K, probably shorter than other Honda motors due to the air-cooled engine. (Don't know if there is a 600-mile check.)

Costs for this service vary all over the map, so it is difficult to make comparisons. Typically a four-cyl will be more but not 4X more since the lion's share of the work gaining access to valve train is more/less the same, regardless of the number of cylinders.

- Mark
Oh ya, think you are right, 16k. Well atleast we got the thread rolling again.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #1481
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDirt View Post
It was sarcastic a comment about your requirement that a bike have anti-lock brakes.

Yeah, they're nice, but they're hardly a deal-breaker for most people.

I've locked up the front tires on street bikes plenty of times, mostly on dry pavements, and not ever thought that I would only buy bikes that had anti-lock from there on after. I think it is a stupid stipulation that a bike has to have it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #1482
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Opinion differences abound...

An ABS thread is kinda like a best oil thread, or best tire thread. Everyone has an opinion, and one generally isn't any better than another. My RT came with ABS and semi linked brakes. and can emergency stop on a dime and give change.

The Duke and the Dyna don't have ABS, and one with Brimbos, stops on a dime and the other on a fiver. You can guess which one is which. Just saying that learning your brakes is all important in understanding how the bike will react under duress, whether it does or doesn't have a specialized braking system.

If you want ABS, get ABS, it's a personal decision not a stupid one, just as not getting ABS is personal, not stupid....tp

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 05:54 PM
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #1483
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I got a kick out of John McGuinness' recent comments:

"I'm really pro-ABS. I think every bike should have it. People say they don't want it. They stand in the pub and say they're better than ABS. But nobody is."

I'd love to see one of those guys put their skills up against those of McGuinness who can count 19 Isle of Man TT victories amongst his accomplishments.

Nevertheless, choosing whether or not to go with ABS comes down to personal preference. I'm just glad that ABS is an option on the CB1100 for those of us who would like to have it.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1484
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I wonder if the MotoGP guys could keep up with Mc Guinness and his crowd at the TT. Just watching it on the TV gives me the shivers. Those guys are insanely good on country and city roads at GP speeds... tp
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #1485
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Those guys are insanely good on country and city roads at GP speeds... tp
Insanely good indeed, with an emphasis on insane. Hard for me to fathom honestly.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote