ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
D.C. Monument Tour this Sunday?

I plan to make it to DC as part of my great Canada run. Would anyone like to meet up and go around to the monuments this Sunday? June 5th.

reply here or call my cell 404-697-8587

I want to take pictures at the whitehouse and the Jefferson memorial. And Iwo Jimo.

Charles
charles960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles960
I plan to make it to DC as part of my great Canada run. Would anyone like to meet up and go around to the monuments this Sunday? June 5th.

I want to take pictures at the whitehouse and the Jefferson memorial. And Iwo Jimo.

Charles
Man, DC traffic sucks. The pedestrians suck... in fact, being a lifelong local to the area, I'd suggest hitting any roads you can west of Fairfax Co. that head out towards the Blue Ridge.

Madison, The Plains, Marshal, Culpepper, Shenendoah Co. All good places.

The monuments ain't what they are cracked up to be. But again, I seen them all a hundred times over, and probably take them for granted, even though I shouldn't.

Watch your 6 on a bike in/around D.C. You can roll 80mph and have some shitforbrains 10 ft. off your ass. I got that shirt.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Hell- I'd join ya and show you around, but I'm off to Vegas for a bidness trip on sat a.m. Don't listen to Barry- riding in DC rawks! May I suggest a night excursion and a cheapo tripod? You'll get better shots- and the roads are abandoned at night. You can roll anyplace you want unimpeded. Much better way to check things out. No worries about safety- there's cops everywhere, even at night.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,036
I would love to join ya but I am off to BYOB this weekend. Oh, and don't listen to Barry, DC kicks ass! You just have to ride crazier than they drive.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba The Biff
Hell- I'd join ya and show you around, but I'm off to Vegas for a bidness trip on sat a.m. Don't listen to Barry- riding in DC rawks! May I suggest a night excursion and a cheapo tripod? You'll get better shots- and the roads are abandoned at night. You can roll anyplace you want unimpeded. Much better way to check things out. No worries about safety- there's cops everywhere, even at night.
As long as you avoid rush hour, riding in D.C. is a hoot. Unlike a lot of big cities, relatively few people actually live in D.C., so peeps go elsewhere when their work is done. Try riding around at night like Jabba said, or early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

Sunday afternoon

THe grand hope is early sunday afternoon for aquick once around. I have been to DC several times, but long enough ago that I don't remember any of my roads. I once got stranded at Arlington Mem. Cemetery at night. Cool experience, but not one to repeat.

I love the monuments and being an American! Kinda want to take the cheesey bike in front of.... pictures.

CHarles
Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Stumby
2 wheels needed

Oddometer: 674
If your planning on going up the washington monument make your reservation in advance here: http://reservations.nps.gov/index.cfm Tickets are free but they run out fast.
Stumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,224
Quote:
THe grand hope is early sunday afternoon for aquick once around. I have been to DC several times, but long enough ago that I don't remember any of my roads. I once got stranded at Arlington Mem. Cemetery at night. Cool experience, but not one to repeat.

I love the monuments and being an American! Kinda want to take the cheesey bike in front of.... pictures.

CHarles
Sounds good - depend on what's happening here in the morn - I'll try to give you a call.... Sunday morn. Oh - the best way in and out is the GW Parkway on the Virginia side, then take the Arlington Bridge over to the Lincoln Memorial -stay to the left.. NO I' mean stay to the RIGHT coming into DC off the Arlington Bridge....
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm

eap screwed with this post 06-03-2005 at 10:11 PM
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
If it weren't for the Square Route Rally in Thurmont, MD, I would go with you.

Maybe in a couple weeks.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
DNFjoe
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Quote:

Charles
Charles, If it is early in the AM I will take the ride since I never saw the monuments from my bike even though I live in Arlington VA. I suck as a new rider and suck as a tour guide but most of it is a straight shot. Let me know if you want me to join you on the ride. 9-11am would work for me. 703-732-0848. I will check here at 8am as well as my voicemail.

joe
Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

south of roanoake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFjoe
Charles, If it is early in the AM I will take the ride since I never saw the monuments from my bike even though I live in Arlington VA. I suck as a new rider and suck as a tour guide but most of it is a straight shot. Let me know if you want me to join you on the ride. 9-11am would work for me. 703-732-0848. I will check here at 8am as well as my voicemail.

joe
I am drunk and no where neeearrrr DC. There si no way in hel I will be there berofroe tomorrow afternnon if at aall. Thanks for the offer thooghh/
Charles
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #12
DNFjoe
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
I am drunk and no where neeearrrr DC. There si no way in hel I will be there berofroe tomorrow afternnon if at aall. Thanks for the offer thooghh/
Charles
Charles that could still work for me depending on a friend I am helping move. If he only needs help loading up in arlington I can do an afternoon ride. If he needs help unloading in Warrenton at 1:00pm I will be tight on time. I'll call you if if I am free.

joe