User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #16
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,241
skipping gears ?

It's impossible to skip a gear on a motorcycle gearbox. You can only go one gear at a time and the gear lever has to return to its normal position between each gear before you can go to the next. It's not like a car gearbox, hence the name sequential.

It is possible however to go through more than one gear without letting the clutch out in between but that gear lever still needs to spring back between each gear.

For normal stopping or slowing, you should clutch out between each gear relative to your speed and use a little throttle blip while the clutch is in, in between gears to smoothen things out by matching the engine revs with the next gear down. Known as engine braking, this will assist your brakes to slow the bike and save your brake materials.

You should always have your position, speed and gear right before making a turn.

For quick stops however ( eg emergency or hazard avoidance), forget the clutch out between gears, Just tap down through each gear as you are slowing and leave the clutch in. (concentrate on your braking) Double tap the lever to make sure you have reached first gear (you'll feel resitance in the lever and it won't go through any more gears) by the time you have stopped, in case you need to get out of there again fast...

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #17
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,609
If you down shift too much for the speed even if you do not let out the clutch you are overspeeding gears in the transmission, and clutch. It is possible to explode a clutch basket in these cases. Make a new habit to let out clutch after every downshift. You are going to end up on the pavement someday if you let this bad habit persist..

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
I like the blip too...helps
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I like the blip too...helps
blip before downshift?
I'm still wondering if I'm hurting my bike by doing this
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,241
Blip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
blip before downshift?
I'm still wondering if I'm hurting my bike by doing this
Not if you are getting your timing right. How can it hurt your bike ? It is harder on your bikes driveline by not blipping.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

i just do it naturally...you see the moto gp guys, mx racers etc...d o it...now that I think about it I cant remember exactly when I do it...it just helps me do the gear change dont know

blip away folks!

clutch in obviously...

it also helps on some bikes when you have a sticky neutral...you blip the throttle with the clutch in and it helps skip into first...depends on your bike thats all

cheers
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,799
+3 on engine braking. The less you rely on brakes, and more on downshifting, the easier it is to break the habit of downshifting through too many gears with the clutch in. Downshifting one gear at a time, you can be pretty aggressive without hurting the bike. I used to break the rear tire loose all the time on my XL600R.

I tend to use rev matched downshifts (blipping) on the Aprilia, simply because the v-twin sounds so good (it also saves the clutch). The other day, I had been riding for 8+ hours and was in "the zone", downshifting to 7K rpm's with my wife on the back into corners. Man it felt good, and safe. It's been a while since I had a day like that.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

^^^nice!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #24
davidb21 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
If you down shift too much for the speed even if you do not let out the clutch you are overspeeding gears in the transmission, and clutch. It is possible to explode a clutch basket in these cases. Make a new habit to let out clutch after every downshift. You are going to end up on the pavement someday if you let this bad habit persist..

Rod
ive been going one gear at a time lately.

are you sure about the thing with the clutch still in though? ive never heard of that
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Not if you are getting your timing right. How can it hurt your bike ? It is harder on your bikes driveline by not blipping.
I always follow this rule:
if it's fun and or it sounds good it's probably bad.

but now that you mention it. parts turning equal speeds are not moving relative to each other. less friction = happy clutch and gearbox
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote