User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Kiwi Safari Team - 2012

Well, it's that time of year again and I've entered the Australasian Safari for a fourth time!

It's been a bit of a struggle this year, with a pretty serious bicycle crash on "not so" Good Friday of Easter weekend leaving me with a badly broken jaw (displaced complete fracture of the lower mandible) and a badly broken hand (displaced severe compression fracture of the fifth metacarpal) when I face planted on coarse bitumen road. I've now got almost as much Titanium in my jaw as the bike has!

The road to recovery was then interrupted by a three week holiday in Canada last month, during which I did absolutely nothing more than the occasional walk in the way of exercise ... oh and a few beers here and there.

My passion waned a little for the Rally scene when my work schedule also came in to blow my plans for Dakar 2013. That plan is now bumped to 2014. Now that I'm back on the bicycle and enjoying my riding again, getting my fitness back and prepping for Safari, it's all coming back to me.

Another major piece of good news came out today after a telephone conversation with "topo" in which he agreed, enthusiastically agreed, to join me as my Service Crew. I had made arrangements to hook up with the CPW Safari team for logistics and service support, but it was going to be a real big task to convert all those others on the team to be "honorary Kiwis" for the week. There were also some challenges with transport to and from Geraldton, so I was having to make my own way there and leave my car and trailer there for the week.

So with Ben joining me, almost all my problems are solved. I'm now finishing off the preparation of my new Land Rover Defender 90 as our Service vehicle that Ben will drive around the route from Bivouac to Bivouac. It has a roof tent for my sleeping, bullbar, spotties, winch and I'm just installing the dual auxilliary fuel tanks to increase the capacity from 60lts to 150lts.

I picked up my new 450 Rally Titanium muffler today, from the ever faithful team at Causeway KTM in Perth. I'm just waiting for a couple of brackets that are being made up for me out of Chrome-Moly for the fuel pump and the muffler brackets, (where are you Pilbara), and I have to go and pick up my Carbon Fibre front guard from a mate that was planning to take a mold to make some spares, (see you tomorrow Pete640). I plan to take it out for a test ride next weekend to blow the cobwebs out while I'm out in the counrty being the Steward at a Cross Country race.

So now I've started this thread I'll try and keep you up to date with some photo's and news and then topo can continue through the event as time permits.

Any questions?
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,298
Great stuff Jaybo. Ben will do you proud again.
Back luck about the bike crash.

Can you please ride your bike lots before the safari & replace all the suspect electrical parts & fuel pump before you go.
Shouldn't the LR be the same colour as the bike?

PS look out for Stagehand out on the Rooney airhead, they take up a bit of room on the tracks.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Good luck Jaybo! I always love reading your Safari threads, looking forward to another one.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
stevecollie
Desert Racer

Oddometer: 42
Good Luck Jaybo

Best of luck for the race. Sorry I won't be there as the second Kiwi but I am off to southern Turkey this weekend for the Trans Anatolia 7 day rally to show the Turks how to ride in their own backyard and then maybe two weeks later I might be off to the Pharaons Rally again as a support rider if everything comes together this week.

I will make it to Perth sometime to do the event but maybe when the speeds drop a little and the riding becomes more technical.

I bet Fishy is after the Dakar Challenge price this year for first overall (and good luck to him).

Steve
stevecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Russ

Oddometer: 15,028
All the best mate hope you have a great safari 2012- look forward to the pics and reports again.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,380
That accident looked nasty Jaybo Good luck with the safari...... go Kiwi Safari Team Members
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Be careful with Topo, the KTM may end up with more DRZ bits on it than usual...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to the show getting under way in a few weeks. I'm glad it still a few weeks away though as I have a lot to get done between now and then.

Padmei: Interesting thought you have there - metallic silver for the 450RR. I've got Stagehand covered mate - no worries.

Steve: Tell us more! Sounds like you're getting an opportunity of some sort. You did well in the Pharaoh's Rally last year. Say g'day to some of Turks from me (you know the ones) when you're over there. I'm looking forward to another of their pit carpark coffees one day. I think Fishy is ineligible for the Dakar Challenge. Didn't he finish 9'th over your way didn't he? Top 10 in an FIM Rally and no dice!

Night Falcon: Nice one mate!

Nordie: I'll keep an eye open for yellow bits.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,724
great new that Team (Flightless little Bird) is saddling up for 2012 again John!

Good luck with it... especially considering your cycling accident earlier in the year... championship effort to come back after something like that and saddle up again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Nice one Jaybo all the best mate
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers all.
The Kiwi Safari Team bought a fully enclosed motorcycle trailer tonight. I'll pick it up in the weekend and post some photo's of the rig. Everything is coming together. Picked up some tyres in the weekend just gone and half a dozen oil filters today. Still a few things to gather, and Ben ("topo") is bringing a few tyres across for me too.
Ciao
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Painted in the traditional KTM white?
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Cheers all.
The Kiwi Safari Team bought a fully enclosed motorcycle trailer tonight. I'll pick it up in the weekend and post some photo's of the rig. Everything is coming together. Picked up some tyres in the weekend just gone and half a dozen oil filters today. Still a few things to gather, and Ben ("topo") is bringing a few tyres across for me too.
Ciao
New tire time is always exciting....expensive....but exciting
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
[QUOTE=
The Kiwi Safari Team bought a fully enclosed motorcycle trailer tonight. I'll pick it up in the weekend and post some photo's of the rig. [/QUOTE]

Yay no need for a tent now

Tires have been delivered here now just need to pack all my gear inside and make a carry handle out of packingtape Less than a week till i fly out now, starting to get excited.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Yay no need for a tent now

Tires have been delivered here now just need to pack all my gear inside and make a carry handle out of packingtape Less than a week till i fly out now, starting to get excited.
Make sure you wear your official NADS shirt when over there...

I hear it gets you discounts at petrol stations.

Either the shirt or supermarket receipts. I always get them confused...