Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Yay no need for a tent now

Tires have been delivered here now just need to pack all my gear inside and make a carry handle out of packingtape Less than a week till i fly out now, starting to get excited.
You'll like your temporary home. It is built out of insulated panels 50mm thick and has LED lighting, stereo / DVD player, etc. You can choose between a camp stretcher or a swag to sleep on - both are here waiting for you. :-)
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Load the DVD player with the 450RRR manual DVD and glue the tray shut...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
NZDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Good luck Jaybo and Topo

Whats the sky/tv coverage going to be like here in NZ?

Sweet FA I'm guessing ?
NZDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #19
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
You'll like your temporary home. It is built out of insulated panels 50mm thick and has LED lighting, stereo / DVD player, etc. You can choose between a camp stretcher or a swag to sleep on - both are here waiting for you. :-)
Take the swag Topo. Might aswell go for the full "Ocker" experience
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #20
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ben (topo) will be happy to learn that I've downloaded and printed the 2012 Rally chassis and engine manuals to replace the 2011 ones I sent him. Might be better to be studied up on the correct bike! (The oil filter part numbers are different. Discovered this when I picked up a pile of filters the other day and got home to find they were different to the ones I had previously. The ones I bought last year were the correct ones ... luckily).

Today I ordered the (in?)famous Kiwi safari team stickers for the mighty Land Rover, so that Ben doesn't accidentally get into the nearest WA Rentals van.

The sponsor stickers are here and ready to go on:
"Tyres for Bikes",
"MO Consultants" and
"Causeway KTM & Ducati".
(Huge thanks to those businesses for their long term support).

Tomorrow I'll be ringing another potential sponsor that I got some promising vibes from last week. A little bit of green oval on the bike and little truck (there's a hint in here because the service vehicle already has a green oval on the grille) won't go amiss if there's some dollars involved. Any other contributors out there? Step right up.

Last night I painted the "special item" chrome-moly vacuum fuel pump mount bracket. This was a hint I got from Cyril's technician last year, except his method was to get a second standard bracket, grind off the welded nuts from one and then mount the two off them together as a double thickness plate. Local Rally and engineering guru, and ADV inmate "Pilbara", offered to make me a replica of the standard factory bracket but made of chrome-moly with brazed on nuts. No way that will ever crack like the factory ones do and it's lighter and stronger than Cyril's bodgy solution.

New flush LED indicators bought to replace the cracked ones I fitted last year. Another job for the weekend before Ben gets here and abuses me for the state of the bike!

Last day of work for me tomorrow! Cheers everyone.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So here it is:

Of course I've since removed all the stickers from all around it. It was your typical teenage dirt bike rider's trailer with every brand known to motorbike riding man stuck on it. No brand loyalty in kids these days.

The rear:

The bike fits just nicely (after a little cutting, grinding and welding. The front shelf had to get trimmed by 150mm as the fairing was touching the shelf edge with the front tyre still 40mm from the front. I also had to weld on a bracket to locate the front wheel as the trailer was set up for three bikes with the middle one in backwards).

I did a few other things yesterday, and have a few more planned today, so more photo's and story later.
Ciao
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
Good luck Jaybo. I'll be riding over here & thinking of ya
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
So here it is:

nice looking rear end
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #24
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Good stuff, Jaybo! Watching with interest and urging you on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #25
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Awesome trailer, You didnt mention the nice timber floor.
Thats going to luxury camping, you sure know how to look after your support crew !
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #26
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
Awesome trailer, You didnt mention the nice timber floor.
Thats going to luxury camping, you sure know how to look after your support crew !
Looks can be deceiving huh! It's actually el cheapo vinyl stuff that seems its been half pie screwed to some plywood. Glad you think it looks nice - I came really close to putting some carpet over it!

I did a few things to the bike today, but forgot to get some photo's. I re-rivetted a dzeus fastener on the bash-plate locker. (I brought the bash-plate inside tonight to fit some velcro tabs to it so I'll get some photo's of that later. Might be a handy hint for anyone out there with quarter turn fasteners and 'D' rings as the handles. Keeps them from accidentally coming unfastened and spreading your tools and spares over multiple kilometres of desert tracks).

I also fitted a new ICO to replace one that failed on me last year. KTM replaced it for me at no charge under warranty. I just hadn't got around to fitting it yet. (I've only ridden the bike once since the Safari last year and that was just a short day ride in the dunes and tracks North of Perth!). My wife bought me a pair of spare batteries to replace the ones I used last year when I thought maybe the batteries were the cause of my problem.

I fitted a new set of flush mount indicators to the front fairing. Both had stopped working after a wire joint on the circuit board had come apart. All good now with nice bright new indicators. The rear ones still work okay, although it's amazing how much brighter the new ones are.

I also changed the "medium" PHDS rubbers for the "soft" option ones. I'll get a photo of these tomorrow for those that aren't familiar with KTM's PHDS product. (Progressive Handlebar Damping System).

A couple of stickers went on the bike, but I'll wait to show those until all the stickers are on.

I tested the little generator and the water blaster too. Whatever other time I had was spent gathering some of the equipment together.

I did get a couple of photo's today of some Safari "related" stuff I did though. To help keep Ben sane, and maybe compensate for the fact I couldn't afford to hire a second crew person to navigate for him, I did a temporary installation of my 2-way radio in the Land Rover. It's just velcro'd onto the dash, with temporary power hook-up using quick-connect blade splices, but it works fine and means Ben will be able to chat to other crews en route.

We also had some fairly strong wind here today so I ended up on the roof of the dog's garage/run to rivet the ridge capping back on. Several sections had pulled mostly free and swung around in the wind. There was a fairly good chance that two or three of them were going to become airborne missiles - probably while I'm away next week leaving the wife to deal with it. Needless to say, I got "encouraged" to sort it out today!

More later.
Ciao
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #27
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I referred earlier to using velcro tabs to secure quarter turn 'D' ring fasteners from coming unfastened. Here's an example I have fitted to my bash-plate locker.
Here's the bash-plate (with the 3 litre water container required by the FIM for Rally's, only filled to 2 litres for the Australasian Safari):

With the lid off the locker:

A square of the "hook" side of velcro stuck down on the locker lid and a strip of the "loop" side of velcro wrapped around the 'D' ring handle of the fastener:

After the 'D' ring is pressed in and turned a quarter turn, the 'D' ring get folded down and the velcro strip gets to attach to the 'loop' section. This prevents the 'D' ring from working up and rotating by vibration or "outside assistance" like sticks and such like. You wouldn't believe it happens until you've lost your own stuff!

Ciao
Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
I've only ridden the bike once since the Safari last year and that was just a short day ride in the dunes and tracks North of Perth!).
Absolutely criminal! Neat trick with the velcro tab. Makes you wonder why the factory didn't think of that. By the way, during your initial 450RR thread way back when you mentioned something or rather about the bike's "engine jewelry" and that pics would follow. I never noticed them and was wondering if you had possibly posted them elsewhere? Not to worry though as you obviously have a ton of stuff on your hands.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
Jeez louise that is one hi tech bashplate
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Absolutely criminal! Neat trick with the velcro tab. Makes you wonder why the factory didn't think of that. By the way, during your initial 450RR thread way back when you mentioned something or rather about the bike's "engine jewelry" and that pics would follow. I never noticed them and was wondering if you had possibly posted them elsewhere? Not to worry though as you obviously have a ton of stuff on your hands.

- Ken
Fair call, but what's really criminal is that it's not legal for this bike to be ridden on public roads in Australia.So it's criminal that I don't use it and it would be criminal if I did! Truth though is that I bought the bike to the Dakar on, so no point wearing it out just play riding. The Aus Safari is an exception because it's become a bit of a habit for me.

I forgot about the promise to post some photo's of the engine details. Maybe I'll get a chance in the next day or two with Ben arriving tonight to help out. He can do an oil change while I photograph stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmei
Jeez louise that is one hi tech bashplate
If I remember correctly it's about $1600 for the bashplate alone. I'd guess several hundred dollars for the water tank. What's more, is that although it looks identical to the 690RR bashplates, it's actually slightly different. Obviously this one has holes in it for mounting the water tank (the 690 uses that space for a bigger engine!) but also the inside of the bashplate is finished off as nicely as the outside. This is because the water tank sits flush on the bashplate so needs the bashplate to be perfectly flat. The 690's can get away with a bit of variation in the mold on the inside. The water tank being there also makes the thickness of the bashplate a critical dimension. It gets interesting when you start looking at things really closely.

Anyway, I talked about the PHDS earlier. This is how a PHDS kit comes:

The 450 Rally came with PHDS fitted, so the kit is the one I bought for Rally'ing my 530 EXC. You can see the spare damper cylinders and rubber washers in the little bag beside the kit box.

This is the bike with the green "soft" options damper cylinders:

I haven't ridden with the soft option dampers yet, but figure that with little riding done this year I might appreciate a bit of "give" in the bars. We'll see. They're a quick and easy change if needed during the Safari.

Ciao