Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #31
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
I'm in agreement with padmei that the bashplate is very nicely executed. I recall reading that the hole in the front posed the danger of collecting dry grass and such and contributing to the bike catching fire. Seems they started fitting screens over the hole. Is that in the plans? Looking forward hearing about your Safari. If the reports are to be even half as good as your Desert Challenge thread we're in for some great entertainment.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #32
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I'm in agreement with padmei that the bashplate is very nicely executed. I recall reading that the hole in the front posed the danger of collecting dry grass and such and contributing to the bike catching fire. Seems they started fitting screens over the hole. Is that in the plans? Looking forward hearing about your Safari. If the reports are to be even half as good as your Desert Challenge thread we're in for some great entertainment.

- Ken
Hi Ken,
The hole in the bash-plate is only one part of the fire story. There are so many places that dry grass and stuff (let's call it "material") could collect in contact with the header pipe it's not funny and closing them all off would prevent a lot of cooling air getting to the side of the engine. Before Dakar I may put a screen of sorts at the opening, but this won't be (shouldn't be) required for the Safari as we've never ridden through conditions that might cause an issue like that. Landowners are so nervous about fire risks here that we simply wouldn't be able to use the country if the tracks were overgrown in dry material to that extent.

My theory on the issue is actually a little different to many. I believe the issue isn't so much about preventing the dry material getting in there as it is about the material having no way to get out once there. The header runs towards the outside of the bashplate so that dry material actually gets forced against the header by the air coming through the vent hole. Reducing the flow of air by putting a screen in the hole may reduce the amount of dry material getting in there (only "reduce" because there's a lot of stuff to allow material to come in from above) but this may also reduce the amount of material that can get "blown through". I'm thinking along the lines of a small Carbon Fibre "ramp" to help material exit over the header where the header comes out to meet the mid pipe under the footpeg at the rear of the bashplate.

I'll try and be a little more organised in my note taking this year so I don't have to rely on my ageing memory so much. It's going to be a tough event this year though, by my reckoning of the route and distances shown in the fuel matrix, so we'll see how that plan goes.

Cheers
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #33
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Documentation done this morning. Got the event pack of glossy brochures and the odd piece of apparel. (We were on the ball - they used as as the test dummies for the system as we were nice and early).
Got home and set about "stickering up". We got two Service Crew stickers for the Landy but no instructions as to where to put them. Previous years they've only given one and instructions to fix it to the windscreen top left corner. So those stickers will go on tomorrow when we find out where they're supposed to go. The Landy looks good to go though:

What do you mean you didn't come here to see pictures of my Landy?? Okay then, some pictures of the bike ... but there's a but. Although we got two Service Crew stickers, when we were expecting only one, we got stumped when we got instructions in the Supplementary Regulations to fix the "WesternAustralia.com" stickers to each side of the fairing ... but they only gave us one. So no overall shot's of the bike until tomorrow. (Might even run into the photo guru himself ("Sylvia") and get it done properly). So some partial bike photo's in honour of some sponsors:

Thanks to "Causeway KTM & Ducati" (for all your KTM and Ducati needs and supplier of my awesome KTM 450 Rally and many of my spares and consumables) ...

... and to "MO Consultants" (for all your project and commissioning management needs and supplier of my income and time off work) ...

... and to "Tyres for Bikes" (for all your road and dirt bike tyre needs and suppliers of my Michelin Desert tyres and Rallye Mousses):

If you're in Perth, support these guys and let them know you know of me and my Rallying efforts and they'll look after you and me both.

Another thing we did today was go through all my spares, so Ben has an idea of what we have with us. Ben also flushed out all the fuel jerry cans today, so we should avoid the issues of last year with dirt contaminated fuel.

Tomorrow we have an early slot in the scrutineering schedule so will be out early for the 1.5 hour drive to Hillary's. That should leave us the day to do some packing and a few final prep's and for Ben to get in a practice of setting up and packing away the roof tent. It seems that two of the mornings will require Ben to get on the road even before my departure time as the Service Crews have a looong drive to the refuel point and the race route is close to the same distance! (This does suggest that the race route could be tight and tricky!)

Enough for now. Time for some dinner and then I'll head up the road and get some fresh fuel so I can go for a short ride to calibrate the ICO and warm the engine ready for an oil change after the scrutineering checks are complete. I've saved doing the oil change so Ben can do the first one in the garage with plenty of time to go through the procedure in the manual in a relaxed fashion. "Relaxed fashion" kind of summarises our work so far. It's been kinda nice to just have one bike in the shed to sort out - although I'd very readily welcome more Kiwi's to come over and join in! We definitely have the capacity to look after more than just me. I might also change tyres, or at least re-lube the Mousses.

More tomorrow.
Ciao
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #34
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 862
Cool, great work.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #35
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

What's this?? Someones been playing with my bike!

Ah, it's okay. It's Ben doing an oil change for me.

We got through scrutineering this morning - after having to "re-present" because I failed the first time. I failed because my First Aid kit did not contain Vitamin C tablets or sun screen. Both items I had last year and could have simply left in the kit, rendering both of little value, and would have been fine as far as the scrutineer's are concerned although wouldn't have done much good at preventing scurvy if I was stuck in the desert for a few weeks. I have raced in the United Arab Emirates in 48DegC desert sun, with not a twig of shade for hundreds of kilometres and not needed Vitamin C tablets or sun screen lotion.

However, rules are rules, as stupid as they might be, so I shot to the nearest shops and bought the smallest bottle of Vitamin C tablets and the smallest tube of sunscreen I could find. Of course the Vitamin tablets were in a glass jar, which I'd rather avoid in my First Aid kit, so I removed a few tablets and popped them in a zip lock bag. I really hope I don't get stuck in the desert for too many weeks as I now only have a half dozen Vitamin C tablets. I could perish! Scurvy was a real problem for Captain Cook's crew back in the day due to lack of Vitamin C in their diet.

There is an unfortunate impact of this situation though. It caused me to review the size and "comprehensiveness" of my First Aid kit. You see, my kit was quite large and contained many things not actually required by the rules or contained a greater quantity than required of the rules. These were items that are generally of help in dealing with the type of injuries one might come across while dirt bike riding. I've now ditched a lot of that and minimised the kit to comply with the rules but save some bulk. It is now much easier for me to put the fairing back on, which I'll have to do every time I need more Vitamin C tablets!

We then did some shopping on the way home (just the staples - coke, jelly snakes, jelly beans, and a couple of pizzas for lunch) and did some more playing with the bike. The oil and filter change obviously, removed both tyres and re-greased the Mousses and fitted a freshly oiled and greased air filter. (I use "No Toil" air filter oil, cleaner and grease - brilliant stuff!). We sorted out the tools and other stuff, stacked the selected tyres ready for packing in the trailer and finally I showed Ben how the roof top tent gets set up and packed away on the Land Rover.

Then we had a beer!

Tomorrow is the drivers briefing at 1pm, followed by the "Safari Show" from 4 to 7-ish. The first bikes ride through the official start banner at 7:15pm so it's going to be getting on for 9pm by the time we get home again. Then one last sleep in home bed and then hit the road on Saturday morning for the 5 hour drive to Geraldton for the prologue ("Stage 0").

Catch ya soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,313
Looking good boys! Good luck & go hard

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #37
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,005
Awesome stuff
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #38
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
What's this?? Someones been playing with my bike!

Ah, it's okay. It's Ben doing an oil change for me.

We got through scrutineering this morning - after having to "re-present" because I failed the first time. I failed because my First Aid kit did not contain Vitamin C tablets or sun screen. Both items I had last year and could have simply left in the kit, rendering both of little value, and would have been fine as far as the scrutineer's are concerned although wouldn't have done much good at preventing scurvy if I was stuck in the desert for a few weeks. I have raced in the United Arab Emirates in 48DegC desert sun, with not a twig of shade for hundreds of kilometres and not needed Vitamin C tablets or sun screen lotion.

However, rules are rules, as stupid as they might be, so I shot to the nearest shops and bought the smallest bottle of Vitamin C tablets and the smallest tube of sunscreen I could find. Of course the Vitamin tablets were in a glass jar, which I'd rather avoid in my First Aid kit, so I removed a few tablets and popped them in a zip lock bag. I really hope I don't get stuck in the desert for too many weeks as I now only have a half dozen Vitamin C tablets. I could perish! Scurvy was a real problem for Captain Cook's crew back in the day due to lack of Vitamin C in their diet.

There is an unfortunate impact of this situation though. It caused me to review the size and "comprehensiveness" of my First Aid kit. You see, my kit was quite large and contained many things not actually required by the rules or contained a greater quantity than required of the rules. These were items that are generally of help in dealing with the type of injuries one might come across while dirt bike riding. I've now ditched a lot of that and minimised the kit to comply with the rules but save some bulk. It is now much easier for me to put the fairing back on, which I'll have to do every time I need more Vitamin C tablets!

We then did some shopping on the way home (just the staples - coke, jelly snakes, jelly beans, and a couple of pizzas for lunch) and did some more playing with the bike. The oil and filter change obviously, removed both tyres and re-greased the Mousses and fitted a freshly oiled and greased air filter. (I use "No Toil" air filter oil, cleaner and grease - brilliant stuff!). We sorted out the tools and other stuff, stacked the selected tyres ready for packing in the trailer and finally I showed Ben how the roof top tent gets set up and packed away on the Land Rover.

Then we had a beer!

Tomorrow is the drivers briefing at 1pm, followed by the "Safari Show" from 4 to 7-ish. The first bikes ride through the official start banner at 7:15pm so it's going to be getting on for 9pm by the time we get home again. Then one last sleep in home bed and then hit the road on Saturday morning for the 5 hour drive to Geraldton for the prologue ("Stage 0").

Catch ya soon.
Hy Jaybo,

great thread, like last year, may be more better
L
1. Looking to your air filter it seems very dry or dirty ? I can't believe it ?
2. like to see some special big pictures from the muffler bracket/ exhaust
3. also please some detail pictures from the special bracket for the fuel pump
4. For the ICO. May be ask inmate Tony Schattat about his new trip computers, he is working for the race as a marshall and brought a prototype with him.

Good luck and go on with this writing....

Michele
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #39
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
Hy Jaybo,

great thread, like last year, may be more better
L
1. Looking to your air filter it seems very dry or dirty ? I can't believe it ?
2. like to see some special big pictures from the muffler bracket/ exhaust
3. also please some detail pictures from the special bracket for the fuel pump
4. For the ICO. May be ask inmate Tony Schattat about his new trip computers, he is working for the race as a marshall and brought a prototype with him.

Good luck and go on with this writing....

Michele
Hi Michele,
1. Don't worry yourself too much. It's a freshly oiled air filter. It might look bad because of discolouration from last years red dirt. I tried to get some new air filters but they are on a boat still on their way. I left it too late to order.
2. I'll get some photo's for you but it looks exactly the same as the original, just the material it is made from is now Chrome-moly steel. The factory rally team use stainless steel, but Chrome-moly is stronger and lighter, so mine is better than Rally Department.
3. Photo's of the special bracket for the fuel pump will have to wait until after the Safari is over, as I do not plan to pull it out in the mean time. It is a real PITA to get at, hence my replacing it first. Please remind me when the Safari is finished if I forget.
4. I have spoken with Tony and I will be testing his trip computer during the Safari for a day or two. It looks good, with nice features and I am looking forward to testing it.

I am glad I can entertain you.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #40
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeehah! Prologue is run and I had no problems. Wasn't fast, but felt tidy and in control - not bad for the first ride on any motorcycle for very close to a year! The 450 Rally felt great and I felt like I'd just ridden the last Safari last week. I rode along thinking what a great bike I was lucky to be riding.

Ben had nothing to do to the bike at all, so borrowed CPWs water blaster and gave it a quick wash and then chamied it dry. I prepared the road book scrolls for tomorrow and that was it for the day - went and had dinner.

Tomorrow is 3 stages - 1 a short 18 km section of whooped out sand tracks favored by the local MX hot-dogs and 2 stages in Safari country with some good open Rally tracks and some tricky navigation in a 4x4 park. Finish I'm Kalbarri, a beautiful Oceanside town.

I'll keep all my roadbook scrolls so I can write a good report later. Catch you all again tomorrow. I'm out of the bivouac at 7:09am, so almost a sleep-I'm by rally standards.

Ciao
Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
Wow check out the amazing pics over here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...770966&page=21
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #42
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Had a brilliant day. The first stage was a 18km sand section, mainly to enable the press to get photos of us in sand! Not fun! But stage 2 was just fantastic and I had a ball! Great open "rally roads" allowing me to ride like I love - standing over the front, steering with the throttle and slight weight transfers between the pegs. Yeeehaaaah! Stage 3 was close to the same fun factor except it had a trials riding section in the middle in a 4x4 park. A fueled up rally bike is not for trials riding up and down very steep gullies! It was only a few kms though, so still a great stage with a finish straight that had me tucked in behind the fairing with the throttle absolutely pinned! I was pumped at the finish control. Then 90 km transport liaison on main road to settle back down. A few DNFs today so I ended up moving from my 26th position post Prologue to 19th overall now. Feeling great! Maybe more later. Ciao.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #43
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
kia kaha Jaybo
I've got a foot in 2 camps - yours & Jasons as he's a fellow airhead. Looks like you guys will have a good battle.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #44
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,656
sounds aawesome

hope we get some action photos of the RR in action
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #45
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote: