Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
G'day everyone. A huge day today with two big stages of 230kms and 260kms! It's a bit late now to say too much (almost 10pm) but the day went pretty well. The first half of the first stage was a bit tough and not to my liking with sand tracks. The second half opened out a bit and I grooved okay. After the end of the stage there was only 7km to the service point and then after 20 minutes of service straight into the second stage for the day. This was a pretty good stage for me, with plenty of open tracks and some navigation skills required. The last half really opened out and I had some very fast runs. The dust was chokingly thick at times, and I hit a few good rocks in white-out conditions, adding to the number of dents in the rims.
My laptop keeps locking up on me so I'm going to cut this short and get some sleep. Start time tomorrow is 7:01am for me. Ben is doing a dandy job of looking after me and bike. NZ can be proud. I'm doing okay but slipped from 19th to 20th overall. It's only day 2 though and a few Safari's under my belt means that I know it's nowehere near over. I'm hopeful I can better my previous best of 15th overall.
Catch ya tomorrow after Leg 3.
Ciao
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #47
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,572
Nice work - riding hardout in thick dust must be fairly freaky I imagine . Go Team KIWI!!!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #48
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi all. Another quick check-in. Another very tough day behind the handlebars. Three stages done today. I got a bit lost in the dune section with a few other bikes and also got the bike buried in the deep soft sand. A bit tough and energy sapping. Then lots and lots of rocky sections found the limits of my strength in my hand I broke at Easter. Had a fall in the second stage of the day at a triple caution (!!!) creek with very steep and rocky descent and ascent. Cracked the fairing pretty badly, but Ben gaffa taped it in the service time. The third stage started very, very fast and then got tighter. I managed to explode the throttle side hand-guard by clipping a bush that was overhanging the track at about 145 kph. Hurt my hand a bit but I think my hand would be another broken one if it weren't for the handguard! After that the remains of the handguard stayed flapping about and didn't worry me too much until the nexy shrub I clipped and the handguard whacked the front brake lever! I suddenly decided to stop and gaffa tape it up! After that I started to tire quite badly so just rode it home for the finish. My eye is on a 100% finishers medal, so no need for heroics. Still have a second scroll to mark up for tomorrow and it's almost 10pm, so gotta go. Start time tomorrow is a nice sleep in at 8:34am for the two stage run to Gascoyne Junction.
Ciao
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #49
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 830
Good work.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
Russ

Oddometer: 15,395
From the Oz safari thread

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #51
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Good on ya mate
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #52
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quick report tonight - laptop batteries on way out. Had a couple of small issues today. An oil leak drom a pinched 'O'ring on the oil filter cap. Took a few minutes to sort out so lost a little time ... as well as oil. Luckily the leak was noticed before the start so no engine damage. The first stage today started nice and fast, but due to my oil issue delay I was behind a few slower bikes and quads so fighting through the dust was a challenge. Got past most fairly easily but Browny was a challenge. Grat fun and in the end he was a good mate and waved me past. Not too long later he went past me while I was reattaching the hand-guards that had shed bolts! Bugger! Fought back best I could but didn't catch him back.
Started the next stage with a two minute gap to Tamsil Jones, the only wpman rider. She was grat and told me to pass on the right and she would say left. Worked perfectly so as soon as I'd passed I swapped to the left as the wind was blowing from the right and would help her see a little. About 30kms into the stage the bike started spluttering and popping and wouldn't idle. It was a real challenge to ride as there were numerous creeks and gullies to cross and the buike kept dying when I tried to gas it over ledges or rocks and then was very hard to start. Turned out the hot start cable had dislodged itself from the clamp on the frame, but only found that out when I got into the bivouac in Gascoyne Junction.
So not a grat day, but then again I didn't blow the bike up and the results say I'm now sitting in 18th overall, so better than I was expecting. One thing about the Rally game, if you have a bad day but are still riding you can bet others had a worse day!
Huge day tomorrow with a 147km stage followed by a massive 301km stage! I'll be a very tired and sore Kiwi tomorrow night!
Till then, Ciao
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #53
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,009
Go Jaybo.!!!. Thanks for continuing to keep us updated on your progress. Really appreciate your insights & commentary on the rally.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #54
Russ

Oddometer: 15,395
+1
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #55
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,346
Thanks for the updates. You are giving us a feel for the pain and frustrations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #56
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

No frustrations today really :-)
First stage was 147km that I enjoyed most of - except the usual battle through dust due to my late start time caused by slack performance yesterday. Blasted it though! Got through service with no issues and fronted up for the 301km second stage. What a monster! Rode well and the bike was just awesome. Got passed by the leading car with only about 6km to go so just held the tap open to the end.
Climbed several spots in the overall to 14th outright - my best ever position in any of the 4 Safaris I've competed in. Very happy (very knackered too).
Tomorrow is 3 stages and promises to be another good day for me. Only 2 to go!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,267
Mighty effort guys!

Must be great to have the bike & body prep come all together to the point where 450km at race pace is fun & trouble free.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #58
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Climbed several spots in the overall to 14th outright - my best ever position in any of the 4 Safaris I've competed in. Very happy (very knackered too).
Now to try and stay ahead of the DRZ400
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #59
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,376
Great going Jaybo!!! Sounded like a hard day today.

I just watched a bit of the action on youtube.
The interviews were funny. Judging from their boat races it's not exactly a (ahem) young mans game is it?

Hope Ben's cooking isn't too bad
Have a good sleep as tomorrow isn't gonna be an easy one.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #60
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hiya everyone. Three stages done today. I didn't enjoy the first two at all - 1 at 114 and 1 at 111km. Tight windy tracks in deep sand intermingled bull dust holes and sand ruts that tram lined the bike. Has two low speed spills. Unfortunately when picking up the bike after the first fall I tweaked my lower back. I've been having lower back pain all week, but this was really sore.
The third stage was 206 and mostly fast semi firm sand. I opened the bike up and loved it. About 15km to go I got too exhausted so trail rode it home.
Now in 12th overall with 15 min gap in front and behind. Just got to bring it home without doing anything stupid now.
Tomorrow is 2 stages - the first is 28km and is mostly a beach run with rocky outcrops, the second is 18km and the reverse run of the very first stage - deep whooped out sand dune tracks. More trail riding is in order to keep it upright and get home safely.
Ciao - and thanks everyone for the interest shown. :-)