Oddometer: 461
Great start HF........

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
Can't wait for the rest. I've been wanting to do this one for awhile too.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
I'm in Scott. Looking forward to it. You're ride reports are always great. I have ridden different sections of the tat many times and there is still sections that make my butt pucker. I am in Trinidad right now. Don't have definite plans except for meeting some people in Lake City. I am going to follow some of BigDogs tracks and I have to check out some single track around Carson for Dickosaorus. Maybe I wil do a rr too. Just realized I forgot my gopro though. I will be here for a week.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Checking in...

Hey HF, thanks for the great start to the RR! I'm out in a big flat desert playa in the middle of Nevada, some may guess where, so I can't get to my pix and videos until later next week. I have some pretty good ones, but it will have to wait a few days.

It was an epic ride and HF was as good a riding buddy as it gets, and I appreciated the invite. More later...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Uh oh.....my wingman is already out on another trip of some kind. Thought I wore him out.

Geeez Cyborg, what on earth are you doing in the desert?

We're supposed to be sharing magnificently embellished tales of our grand adventure together. Where I almost got eaten by a bear in my hammock (again), and you almost died in that huge hillclimb crash (while I was video'n).

Hhhhmmm.......what to do now? This is a pickle.

A) Wait for you to come home

B) Move on down the trail and hope you catch up later (something you're used to)

I guess we'll put it to a vote.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:38 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 167
I vote "B" please.

R1
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Uh oh.....my wingman is already out on another trip of some kind. Thought I wore him out.

Geeez Cyborg, what on earth are you doing in the desert?

We're supposed to be sharing magnificently embellished tales of our grand adventure together. Where I almost got eaten by a bear in my hammock (again), and you almost died in that huge hillclimb crash (while I was video'n).

Hhhhmmm.......what to do now? This is a pickle.

A) Wait for you to come home

B) Move on down the trail and hope you catch up later (something you're used to)

I guess we'll put it to a vote.

HF
Do as you will HF, home Thursday and I'll do my best to catch up.
The view from my seat this morning, friends small plane (talk about off the subject)

Now don't give away too many spoilers...

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

You mean like this,

Mums the word, Scout's honor!

We got the last laugh on him though, eh?

HF

p.s So far, the B's are winning...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Due to the lack of objections, the B's have it. So carry on, we shall.

But first, I shall answer a question I received via PM, for the benefit of all. Don't be shy to ask your questions publicly in the forum. I don't mind so much.

1) Yes indeed, we had a real life, close encounter with a big black bear…..at night.

2) No, I didn't have my camera with me in my hammock. Consider the photo a necessary reenactment. You'll understand everything soon enough.

The Rainbow Trail is located in south-central Colorado, near the town of Salida. It stretches 100miles across the Sangre de Cristo mountain range, from the south end near Medano Pass (and the Great Sand Dunes) to the north end near Silver Creek (approximately 9 miles west of Hwy 285).

There is a fantastic detailed map available thru Nat-Geo's Trails Illustrated (Map #138). For $10 you get a huge waterproof, tear proof, foldout of this mountain range that requires both sides to see it all. The Rainbow Trail is indicated quite accurately on this map by a red dashed line. These maps are the best I've seen and used related to the National Forest system in the USA. I highly recommend them. Maybe I'll spread it out and take a photo to post later.

In the meantime, here are some minatures I scarfed from the Web to give those not familiar a bit more orientation.

I set up a basecamp near Hayden Creek Campground, approximately mid-point of the trail. This turned out to be an excellent strategy for several reasons, which should become obvious later. This primitive campground is at the base of Hayden Pass, near Coaldale, CO. The red star on this map spots Coaldale. Simply drive the main road due West of Coaldale (shown as Hayden Pass Road on most maps) and it will dead end at the campground.

This is an honor system fee campground where you stuff an envelope in a lock box. But, there are several excellent FREE campsites along the road within the final 2 miles approaching this campground. I nabbed the first one of those spots I found, and was within a hundred yards of where the Rainbow crosses the road. The Trail is well marked.

Yes, I brought the Mobile Mansion! Figured a guy willing to drive 1,500 miles to join me, deserves the royal treatment. I've had a little practice at it.

Here is a partial mock-up that shows a small portion of the Rainbow near the mid-point. Not much, but gives you an idea where its located within the Sangre de Cristo range.

Our plan was to ride from Hayden Creek south to the the end near Medano Pass…..camping overnight along the trail, if necessary. It was!

Then, slab it back to basecamp (thru Westcliffe), reload ammo and complete the northern section come bear or mountain lion. Then, slab back to basecamp thru Salida, when complete.

I only had the stock 2 gallon tank on my Berg, while Cyborg was equipped with the additional sub-frame tank giving him 3 gallons. So, a fuel pitstop was planned for me at Westcliffe, when we got near to that point.

While Cyborg had a 2-day drive from Seattle, I only had one from Tulsa. Be it however fortunate, I arrived one day ahead of the Cyborg.

A happy camper now, all set up….

….what on earth is a guy to do? It can get real lonely out here…

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 07:45 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Here is the Trails illustrated map I used for the Rainbow Trail…..#138

Big, durable, and fabulous detail. I've ridden a long time, and never heard about these until just a few months ago.

Buy maps here

Zebulon Pike would be SO proud. His Expedition of 1807 to map this mountain range, and the loss of life incurred, was not in vain.

front side

back side

The Trail stretches the entire length of both sides of this map. And, here is a close-up showing the Rainbow in a red dashed line.

Call me old fashioned, but I'll take a good detailed map over my gps any day. Batteries not required. My land-nav skills are still sharp with a good map and compass. You can take away my gps, but you can't have my compass. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands…..and it will still be working.

Yes, we captured the gps tracks on our Garmin gadgets. And, Cyborg is going to clean it all up for you and make it available……eventually……if he ever returns from the desert. He's still MIA.

Many thanks to my good friend Rufus who turned me onto these Trails illustrated maps, and shared generously from his huge bag of important adventure papers. He's even more old fashioned than me. Doesn't have a cell phone….still yet. Doesn't need one. He's so fast on tight skinny trail that he beats most any cell signal to destination.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 06:24 AM
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
fotobo
KTM rider

I'm glad you trucked the Berg out. I don't feel so bad trucking the 250R out. I am in Lake City and they have wifi here so I am able to catch up. Rode some awesome single track yesterday. Lost Creek Trail, starts close to Carson and comes out over by Stony Pass.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Colorado is AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo View Post
... Lake City ... Rode some awesome single track yesterday. Lost Creek Trail, starts close to Carson and comes out over by Stony Pass.
+1
We rode it last August

Im enjoying the RR High 5 & Totally Agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I'll take a good detailed map over my gps any day ...

Brown Dog screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 10:06 AM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
+1
We rode it last August

Im enjoying the RR High 5 & Totally Agree with you
What did you think about Lost Creek Trail? It was all I wanted. Took us 3 hrs to go 12 miles. We had to stop and work on one of the bikes a couple of times it was overheating.

fotobo screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 06:33 AM
fotobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Ready to read it all.

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote