User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #106
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Addendum

Of course since we were doing a cool-down loop around Salida, we had to stop and say howdy to Hayduke and Bonnie Abbzug at FatTees and BeadSong

also sorta proof I rode HighFive's mighty nicely set up WRR a little bit on the Rainbow...

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #107
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Of course since we were doing a cool-down loop around Salida, we had to stop and say howdy to Hayduke and Bonnie Abbzug at FatTees and BeadSong

It was great to meet you guys! Glad you enjoyed our local riding. Hope you like rocks!

Rainbow is a great trail; I like to include parts of it on my "commute" sometimes.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #108
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Really enjoyed seeing your Tees Hayduke, and buying a few. They were well received by the Tribe back at Rancho Highfive in Okiehoma. Thanks again for swapping out the Mountain shirt size for my wife. She loves it!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #109
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Been out of pocket several days…..back at Mission Control now. I'll try to catch up on all the questions & comments.

First, I'd like to just say "THANKS" to everyone who read this report and all the enthusiastic support. Its a lot of work to document this kind of trail and then load up all the photos and stuff. I enjoy doing it well enough….and I'm glad that others take a liking to it. I hope the effort added another piece to the puzzle, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
It looks like you guys had a blast. I'd like to make a trip like that someday. Thanks for the great photos & RR.
Where's your next trip?
Good question Glenn, I've not decided yet. Still basking in my personal achievement…it feels real good. I've been wanting to return to Big Bend Ranch State Park. I have some unfinished business down there. Then maybe, head into Mexico for a while. I'd like that. But, there's still so much waiting to be seen right here in my own backyard. Hhhhmmm...decisions...decisions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModalGuy View Post
Great ride report! WHen I saw the first few pictures I thought "I'm never gonna ride the Rainbow, that looks too hard" The scenery and your ride report are so compelling I may have to add the Rainbow to my bucket list.

HighFive, you have at least 3 bikes in your stable. Can you give us the rational behind all your bikes? Of course I have a huge WR bias, but that 'berg sure is a pretty bike too. I think my next bike will be a tDub, but that's because I want to have an easy-to-ride bike for my children, wife and friends to come ride with me. We all have our reasons, I would just like to hear yours.
I've sifted thru numerous bikes over the years, and seemed to have settled on these three…..for a while anyway. They are known as Mobile, Agile, & Hostile. And they all love getting dirty. I doubt I'll have another "street only" motorcycle.

The F800GS is my long-haul pack mule. Passing speed, wind protection, and comfort…I can cover a lot of ground fast with very little fatigue. I think its the most favorite bike I've ever owned.

The WR250R is my short-haul pack mule. Faster than any posted speed limit, and capable of going ANYWHERE. I'll ride it near & far. I think its definitely the most favorite bike I've ever owned.

The Husaberg FE390 is my dream machine for the trails. Surprisingly decent on the road, but purpose built for the Rainbow. Its really what I bought it for. I've been on a narrow-minded mission for years. The Berg is hardcore….borderline eleven (on the scale of 10), for me. A serious single-track weapon. Its kind of like an Observed Trials bike with long legs and comfort. I am absolutely positively certain this is my most favorite bike that I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Speaking of WR250R's, I don't understand why Yamaha chose to make them so heavy. The specs say 295 lbs (wet).
Stability on the road. You won't believe have smooth and stable this 250 is running 70 mph down the pavement, and carving thru the twisties. I think Yamaha was seeking a balance between both worlds. Quite possibly the best "true dualsport" ever made. Its not a plated dirtbike. Nor is it just another street bike that can get dirty. Its really something in between that is one of the most capable all-around dualsport bikes I've ever enjoyed owning. Fun on the road and fun on the trails. Master of neither. Its a good choice when you can only have ONE, and you want to play on both sides of the fence. Dirt bike fun with street bike maintenance and a 400 watt alternator (read "heated gear").

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Gets a little busy sometimes on the trail.

[QUOTE=Monty;19537859]

Great job guys! Thanks for taking the time.

I didn't see any mention of food cooked on a stick. Because HighFive has mastered that./QUOTE]

So much trail, so little time. I was too tired to think when we made camp. But, I dreamed about whittling a stick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
1 Fine RR Guys

How many total miles is this Rainbow ?

How many days did it take you ?

As Cyborg mentioned, 100 miles over 3 days. But, we did ride up the road to the top of Hermit Pass. That was a 10 mile round trip…..and it should be part of everyone's Rainbow Ride. But, I reckon that would make the actual Trail about 90 miles if you deduct that from our total.

Interestingly, we never passed another rider along the whole trail for 3 days. The only other people we encountered out there were the Nat'l Forest workers clearing the trees. Sure glad we didn't run into the prison crew a few days later.

HF

p.s. we have more stuff to add.....videos, tracks, etc. But, I needed a break. Will add more info soon. Keep an eye out.
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 08:19 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #110
azbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
great r.r. I just returned a few weeks ago from a nine day trip, including two spent riding the Rainbow from Sargents on the north end (over Marshall pass) to pick up the singletrack down to Hayden rd (where we'd had enough at 85 miles to hayden Rd., popped out on the highway down to westcliff for the night for 110 mile or so total). Second day we did the 30 miles of trail from Westcliff to Hayden Road, up thru Salida to the north nine miles of the rainbow (my favorite section) and back over Marshall pass in a torrential rain/hail storm right on top of the pass.

Great thing about the Rainbow is all the different ways you can ride it. Camping in the middle as you did looks like a great option.

We then moved camp over to Spring Creek Reservoir where KTM Talk was having their big ride/campout in the meadow right up the road from us. Did three more days and about 300 miles more riding.

Awesome week of riding.
azbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #111
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Ahh... Phantom Canyon right? one of the most BEAUTIFUL places I've ever ridden.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #112
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great ride report.....

For someone who's never had a dirt bike these photos make me realize just how much I've missed. Great going is all I can say! Thanks for taking the time to do this RR. It's really great. Makes my knees shake just looking at some of the photos!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #113
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,395
great report

brought back memories of scoring many UTE cup events... Id stll cheat with the trials bike!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #114
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493

Thanks for sharing great pictures, of some very pretty country. Rode Phantom Canyon a week and a half ago on my GSA, it is just an enjoyable ride.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #115
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
love the rr guys looks truly awesome.

hf i noticed that in the early pics you had a wolfman carry all at the front but later on it disappears .... is that for any particular reason ? i was looking to get one for carrying my spare tube ....
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #116
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Love the Rainbow Trail. I rarely ride it as it is about 3 hours each way to get there and I don't do camping

Shot this video from the last trip. It gets "interesting" around 1:35 to 1:39 with the sidehill trail. The 'Berg must be part mountain goat, it works so well in the rocks and gnarly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7TBQwVnqo
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #117
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Love the Rainbow Trail. I rarely ride it as it is about 3 hours each way to get there and I don't do camping

Shot this video from the last trip. It gets "interesting" around 1:35 to 1:39 with the sidehill trail. The 'Berg must be part mountain goat, it works so well in the rocks and gnarly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7TBQwVnqo
Nice video Duken4evr

Gives a good taste of the trail and shows the steepness of those shelf trails and the fun rocks. Rocks, oh yeah, rocks and more rocks. They don't call 'em the Rockies for nothin.

I had brought a GoPro on the trip, but HF kept me so busy riding I never got around to digging out that gadget and hooking it up. I have the wireless on/off for it now, so perhaps next time...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #118
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
WOW!
OMG!
Talk about exposed and narrow!

I'm "In".
Thanks for sharing this insanity with us.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #119
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
This was awesome. I'm looking for a 'Berg now to do this trip with!

Actually, just looking through some old photos and I think I rode some of this on my mountain bike a while back! Awesome!

epicxcrider screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 10:55 AM
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #120
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Great RR guys.

The single track looks totally awesome. Would love to ride that trail one day on a Berg.

Cheers
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote