User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,497
Laugh Creation of the 950 SuperAdvMoDuke-the path of craziness

I've been collecting bits and pieces for some time now, pursuing what I want to make of the KTM 950 Adventure that I picked up about a year and half ago as a project.... This will be a story of me and my processes, along the way I will attempt to explain why I would do this to a basically "perfectly good 06 950 Adventure".

I had ridden a 950 ADV S with SM (19/17) style wheels and sticky street tires on it and I have to say that I REALLY liked it. Super stable when ridden hard, better transitions through S curves and much better at controlling the rear wheel when backing in the beast into corners. That impression stuck with me but I wasn't about to drop the $$ on a new set of wheels, so I waited for the right opportunity to show. Recently the right trade deal came along and poof, I had my 17/17 wheels but the front was only a single rotor hub... so I bit the bullet and bought a built 19" wheel from RAD manufacturing. The rear tire is a Continental sport tire and the front is a Heidenau K68 Street/sport tire. I am planning on riding it with this combo to see if I want to go to the 17 front so I can get into a stickier tire and 3.5" wide rim, but first things first, it has to run.

Another experience sometime ago involved me taking a 07 990 ADV from me saying to myself "I would not want this bike, it runs like POOP!".... to "now THAT is what this thing should run like!". After turning that ill running 990 around I knew that I could "fix" a 07-08 990 EFI of most of its problems I went on the hunt for the necessary EFI bits. Wheeling and dealing, I ended up with a complete 990 ADV harness, tone wheel and a bunch of the other bits to make a LC8 run by squirting rather than sucking gasoline.

Over several KTM rallys I have gotten to ride a several different demo bikes, and every time I could, I swung a leg over the 990 SuperDuke 'test' its ability to carry the front wheel out of a corner and sling shot in the back of the speed regulated pack (shhhhh.... don't tell the lead KTM riders!, not supposed to do that). The SD is such a fun bike to ride, I wanted the punch of the SD engine so I put another thing on the list; SuperDuke cams. I also knew that the ADV exhaust system is not necessarily built for optimal power delivery and I also know that the SD header is much better, not perfect, but better so that put the next thing on the list; SuperDuke header system. At this point, you might be saying "um, that aint going to fit" and for the most part you would be right. That is why I have a SawsAll . With a few things modified on the frame, the SD header fits the ADV frame. I had to make the choice that the center stand and the rear lower engine mounts needed to go and/or be replaced.... after a couple minutes with the All of Sawing Coolio toolieo=header fits . I harvested a GSXR1000 Yoshi muffler from CL for $60 to make a right side high exit exhaust system. I need to connect the dots between the two, but that will come in time.... I also managed to find a SD ECM on ebay that was not stupid expensive so I can run SD tunes if I want or run ADV tunes, at least I think I can do this (hoping), provided the SD ECM will plug/run/play with the ADV harness... if not, I will MAKE it

Yes, I could go out and buy a SMT. No I don't want to.

Now I just need to find a complete SM front suspension/brakes and life will be better

I'm working on this now, pictures and details will follow as I progress.

Order of business:
  1. Install SD cams
  2. Install EFI tone wheel on crank
  3. Remove 950 wire harness
  4. Install 990 wire harness
  5. Relocate battery, start solenoid
  6. Fabricate header pipe
  7. Modify front tank lower mount
  8. Install EFI throttle bodies
  9. Install CPR Rottweiler air filter
  10. Fabricate 990 tank/pump blank plate
  11. Fabricate EFI pump/fpr system external to tank
  12. Install .64 springs in forks and revalve
  13. Assemble and test ride!
My LUMIX is DOA so my Droid camera is doing pic duty for now

From 950 AdVSMSD project

From 950 AdVSMSD project

From 950 AdVSMSD project

From 950 AdVSMSD project

From 950 AdVSMSD project
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
FishTaco
urban misfit

Oddometer: 79
Holy crap!

Subscribed
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
I think you can also fit a rear SD shock, the SDR is about the same length as the SE, the SD is about 5-10mm shorter. I have an SD one in the garage which fits like glove on the SE. If you want any measurements let us know.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Laugh

Making time to get the ADVSupMo in shape. Dropped the SD cams into the 950 heads and clamped it all together to set clearances. I also pulled the clutch cover to change the tone wheel over to the EFI unit. While I am at it I'm going to install a CJracer super duper cool aerospace grade pump shaft.

I started on the exhaust fitting as well. I need to trim diameter of the gasket surface on the header flange to fit the 950 exhaust port by about 2mm. I quickly took the rear unit to the 12" bench disk sander, but the front is going to be a bit of another issue. I might have to scribe a line on it and use the air rotary file (die grinder)..... no good way to get on it with the mill either. Considering that it doesn't need to be perfect, a hand grinder may be involved too...

SASR (Ryan) is going to join the effort this week to make the push to get major points completed like the tone wheel swap..... it takes a 1.8xx" socket and for those paying attention its a LEFT HAND thread! He has some really cool LARGE tools so getting that nut off and back on correctly will be easier. Side Note... I also recently purchased a 2001 Aprilia Futura that needs rear wheel attention (common failure) so getting that wheel nut off is also on the list of "get this done this week". Ryan and I are going to do a IBA 1k in 24hr so the Aprilia was going to be my cheater bike, but he said "If I am riding the HP2... you have to ride the ADVsupMO". Now that the rules are set, I need to get with it to complete the build and test as soon as I can or we are going to have to wait until late spring for the 1k run.

If everything goes as planned, I should have a running EFI 950 by the end of the week

Some PeAkChurz for those of us who prefer color

A "rear wheel shot" cuz its just so f'n sexy.
From 950 AdVSMSD project

The trouble zone, nothing a cut off wheel can't fix
From 950 AdVSMSD project

ADV cams out

From 950 AdVSMSD project

SD cams well lubed with Redline Assembly lube and cam bridge ready for install

From 950 AdVSMSD project

pre lathering of lube

From 950 AdVSMSD project
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Custom Cams

Oh, almost forgot these tidbits about the scope creepers:

1. ADV 990 "core" cams are going to get machined for a adjustable timing ring so I can dial in the cams to EXACTLY where I want them (thanks BillyD for the degree wheel adaptor)
2. ADV 990 "core" cams are going off to a custom grinder to get a full SuperMoto grind put on them and then hard coated.

I am considering hunting down a set of SD heads for complete competition valve, bowl, chamber work as well... but that will have to be this winter +_

I manage to find a 08 SD ECM as well, so if all goes right I will be running "SD" tunes or "ADV" tunes by swaping the ECM if desired. which may not be a issue/benifit but nice to have the option to go back to the ADV ECM and assoc'd tunes.

Once I get it up and running the next bit is going to involve the suspension. I have not built a shock vac pump yet, so this will be the excuse to make that happen.

KTMSER (Spencer) just picked up a donor bike for his SER engine rebuild.... so maybe a SM wheel set, front suspension/brakes will be the next big change... not sure yet.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Updates?
I have SM front end parts on the shelf...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

been away on a family emergency, should be home soon. PM me about the parts when you have a moment.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Mmmmmm this looks like a good journey
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
been away on a family emergency, should be home soon. PM me about the parts when you have a moment.

Hope the best for you and that your family is able to recover and adjust to any lasting changes.

I'll be in touch about parts and there is a SM part-out in the flea market you might want to get in on!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I have 690 duke Marchesini black mag tubeless wheels (3.5 front, 5.5 rear) that I'm not using. The front rim has a cover over the second brake rotor bolts, but only has the one rotor. I can get picks to you if interested.
Chris618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
In!

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
I am in also...