ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #46
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
So you guys are talking about 115+ HPs.. But:

- Why not FCR?
- As of my knowledge, the SD (and the 2009+ ADV) has a different crank as well (lighter and harder) - will the stock 950 crank be enough for that power?

Just asking, no offense.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #47
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post

- Why not FCR?
- As of my knowledge, the SD (and the 2009+ ADV) has a different crank as well (lighter and harder) - will the stock 950 crank be enough for that power?

Just asking, no offense.
Actually, I was hoping for 126 hp and I'm not worried a bit. As I recall, the crank was changed for the longer stroke needed for the larger displacement. Not sure its any stronger. Never been a fan of the FCR swap, seems like a move in the wrong direction. The injection will compensate for altitude, air density, air temp and correct the mixture based on O2 readings.
An FCR won't do that.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post

- Why not FCR?

Just asking, no offense.

I don't know if it will live, going to find out though My guess is, yes, it will handle the increased output.

- why not FCR? many reasons for me:
1. no choke,
2. do not compensate for elevation very well,
3. do not compensate for major temp deltas very well
4. difficult to get decent MPG,
5. other people have done it,
6. Running the EFI ECU allows greater and easier control of fuel and ignition (carb ECU allows zero alteration of ignition timing),
7. Cost..... I managed to trade/barter for most of the bits and pieces necessary to make the 950 run EFI,
8. Reliability, no really.... when correctly implemented the EFI system can be VERY reliable. As an example my 1994 Turbo 2.2L Subaru has ~295,000 miles on it. I have put ONE fuel pump in it at 155,000 and ONE fuel filter at the same time... the injectors and all other supporting systems are ALL ORIGINAL.
9. Its different.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #49
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Dropped a 'fresh tune' into it last night, turned the O2 sensors on and a couple other things tweeked, rode to work. Not good. Put the tune back in it that I was running, runs great but MPG is going to suck I guess I'm going to have to strap on the instrumentation to figure it out.... the combination of 950 engine, SD cams, SD header, high flow muffler, 990 EFI, CPR filter, RC8 stacks is different enough that the 'standard' maps will not work.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #50
Aus LC8
Australian Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
2010 SDR cams in a 2005 950 Adv

Hi all,

I have just picked up a pair of Super Duke R cams out of a 2010 bike to fit into my 2005 950 carb'ed adventure, does anyone know wether they will just drop in?

Thanks for your help
Aus LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #51
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

I measured the 07 SD cams that I bought second hand and compared them to the ADV cams that I was taking out to make sure that they were not significantly different. They were not, so I covered them in engine break in lube (REDLINE Assembly Lube)

then assembled them into the engine and adjusted the valve clearances. I have ~200 miles on this setup and have not checked things, but there isn't any bad noises coming from the engine, so I am assuming that all is good. I know that there is a couple 990 ADVs running around with SD cams in them with a bunch of miles. If I recall correctly the SD-R is rated for slightly more HP, however I have not found the PN for the cams to be different.

Bike is 'lots of fun' with the setup that I have with the EFI.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #52
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I like the concept of what you have done here. Nice work. Me personally, I will stick with Carbs as I dont want anymore electronics to deal with. FCRs are supposed to be an upgrade, and since I decided to keep the bike, I will keep my eyes peeled for some take offs.

I have to say I could use more power. Being in Florida, its not uncommon to come up on a line of Harleys (especially during Pirate convention time) and have to pass the line of them because they are going too slow. Many times I have hit the rev limiter because it just needs more power in 3rd and 4th so the cams are intriguing. I have resisted the Rotty intake because I like the idea of the carbs inside the airbox protected from water and in my case sand.

I do have aftermarket cans and finally got the carbs completely dialed in but I really need about 20 HP more.

Regarding the questions on the crank; surely this bike is overbuilt and the 950 being the original race bike was putting out more power than this in race form so one would expect it to be fine.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #53
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

IMO, the level of complication is relative. Granted the EFI system has a few more bits, but not that many... AND if you don't want the 2nd butterflies, O2 sensors, SAS, EPC, xyz, you can remove them and disable in the ECU. The field of possibilities is greater with the EFI ECU because we can alter the settings for fuel AND ignition and several other systems. With the standard 950 ADV ECU, what you get is what you get, there is no changin it...... however it might be interesting to run a EFI ECU just for the ignition and run a set of FCRs... hmmmm
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #54
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
There are stand alone electronic crank fire ignition units that are very small ..
Also ther is a mini edition of Mega squirt that is for bikes..

Cheers
Dave
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #55
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
There are stand alone electronic crank fire ignition units that are very small ..
Also ther is a mini edition of Mega squirt that is for bikes..

Cheers
Dave
true, and would be easier to deal with (stand alone ignition controller). CrankShaft as been courting me with a full custom wiring harness and a microsquirt that was setup for a 950 SE.... I am thinking of taking him up on it because then I can manage boost in the ECU
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #56
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
true, and would be easier to deal with (stand alone ignition controller). CrankShaft as been courting me with a full custom wiring harness and a microsquirt that was setup for a 950 SE.... I am thinking of taking him up on it because then I can manage boost in the ECU
There are some nice little turbos on Ali Express occasionally.. ;)

Dave
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
I guess I'm going to have to strap on the instrumentation to figure it out.... .
Mate of mine on his SDR in NZ used the PC5 and autotune and a bit of keyboard time with TuneECU, it now has more grunt than a paddock full of pigs and does reasonable mileage out of a tank so he is stoked.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #58
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

As this beast sits right now, it is effectively a 950 SD, as far as the engine goes. I have not strapped it down to a torture table, oops I mean dyno, yet... but base upon my butt dyno, its pumping out a least a solid 100 HP. At ~5500 and WOT this thing just plain makes some serious grunt and I need to be quick to be snicking it into the next gear if I don't want to seriously slam into the 9900 RPM limiter
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #59
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Garrett makes some really nice small housing ball bearing snails

Maybe next winter, I am having WAY too much fun with it right now. After collecting and building for ~2 years, its really nice to be able to walk out to the bike shop and go for a ride.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #60
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
What's the difference between ADV cams and SD cams? Why does it make more hp?